Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old 1 Week Ago   #2671
clara
Tomatovillian™

We've had a terrible Sunday with lots of rain and above all heavy, really heavy storms. 2 tiles of the roof have proved that they can fly... One crashed into my small greenhouse on the terrace; the window is broken. The other one broke into pieces when it hit the terrace. A large steel sheet on the other side of the house at the dormer windows was torn off. My son could replace (from inside) one of the tiles which had been just below the ridge, but not the other at the gable - we have no ladder that is long enough and I did not want him to crawl on the roof because of the height (and the rain). So I spent the whole Monday trying to contact a roofer - in vain. On Tuesday I finally had good luck and reached a roofer in a nearby village; he came on Wednesday to replace the tile at the gable and sent today two helpers who re-attached the steel sheet. I have no clue how much rain has fallen into the hole near the gable and I hope NOT to see it one day in my bedroom...

Pure chaos in the garden, only heavy stuff is still where it should be. But I shall not do anything till the storms and the rain are over which will hopefully be next week.

In my daughter's garden 3 large cypresses of 7 to 8 meters have fallen down, one just a few centimeters in front of their wooden gazebo. Two others are bending down now and have probably to be removed, or perhaps cut and then pushed back if possible.

PS: The roofer told me that he had had 600 telephone calls, yes, 600! because of all the damage on roofs here - and he is only one of several roofers...
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2672
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

That all sounds dreadful, Clara. Glad you got your roof fixed and I hope that will be your last big storm of the season.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2673
clara
Tomatovillian™

I hope so, too! But it could have been even worse: In a small village near Aachen about 75 km from here, the most western town in Germany where I've lived for many years, a tornado devastated almost the whole village. It looks there as if they had had several bomb explosions. Several houses are so badly damaged that actually nobody can live inside. So I still had good luck...
Old 1 Week Ago   #2674
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Do storms of that severity with tornadoes happen often there?
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2675
clara
Tomatovillian™

No, they are very unusual. On our TV an expert said today that a tornado in March is more than rare. Sometimes we get tornadoes, but only sometimes and then in autumn.
Old 1 Week Ago   #2676
bower
Tomatovillian™

Wow Clara, that is scary.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2677
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Very concerned about my neighbors and co-workers in Valley, NE. A levy breached and roads to Omaha were cut off completely. The police scanner is reporting water is now at 4 feet in town. How frightening it must be in the cold and dark of night.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2678
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

The town and those nearby are a disaster: roads are impassable and residents are completely shut off from Omaha and Elkhorn only a few miles away. It was a long night monitoring the scanner and hearing about people being rescued. From Omaha, I can hear and see the helicopters flying in and out from the disaster area.

A few photos of the flooding:

Facebook - Valley Police Department
Evacuation detail from the scanner twitter @omaha_scanner

Not sure how I feel about the well water now, but it's not good!

I am still looking for Fremont photo resources, but people I know are checking in as safe.

Next down the river is PaulF in Brownville. Let us know you are getting ready to be safe, PaulF!

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2679
bower
Tomatovillian™

Take care, Lisa!

I saw footage of Nebraska flooding on the news here last night, so I know it is serious!

Hope it is all over soon and a better season ahead.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote