Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11, 2015   #31
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™
 
jmsieglaff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern WI
Posts: 2,548
Default

Fusion, thanks again. Planted out broccoli and kale today. Easily the best roots and strongest stems I've had! I didn't even use the fan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (342.7 KB, 170 views)
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2015   #32
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™
 
jmsieglaff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern WI
Posts: 2,548
Default

The plants in the ground (kale not shown).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (609.7 KB, 169 views)
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2017   #33
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Omaha Zone 5
Posts: 2,180
Default

Bumping this thread for the new members that grow cole crops. The technique shared by Fusion_Power works perfectly. I always forget a detail and enjoy reading it as a refresher early in the season.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2017   #34
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™
 
MuddyToes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Delaware
Posts: 234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
The plants in the ground (kale not shown).
How do you plant outside in WI this time of year? I just went outside to cover some baby cabbages this afternoon that I had overwintered (to hide them from the squirrels) and I couldn't get the pegs into the frozen dirt. Our winter has been relatively mild but overnight lows are mid 20's.
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2017   #35
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™
 
Gardeneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: NC - zone 8a - heat zone 7
Posts: 4,840
Default

I will try this method.
I wonder if it (hole method) can be used with other seeds as well !!
__________________
Gardeneer

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2017   #36
oakley
Tomatovillian™
 
oakley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NewYork 5a
Posts: 2,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyToes View Post
How do you plant outside in WI this time of year? I just went outside to cover some baby cabbages this afternoon that I had overwintered (to hide them from the squirrels) and I couldn't get the pegs into the frozen dirt. Our winter has been relatively mild but overnight lows are mid 20's.
This is a bumped post as a 'starting seeds' reminder what a good method this is...
(last pic is April, 2015)

I find it better than any other method i've tried over the years.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2017   #37
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™
 
Gardeneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: NC - zone 8a - heat zone 7
Posts: 4,840
Default

I am getting ready to start some "cole crop" soon. It is the right time in my zone/climate.
I want to start lettuce (Mesclun) first. I have already chives and parsley growing , direct sown in the garden.
I might try and get Broccoli seeds when I go shopping. Then I will try " Hole" method.
__________________
Gardeneer

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2017   #38
b54red
Tomatovillian™
 
b54red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,555
Default

Earlier I posted how Colorado Crown was my most successful variety of broccoli down here; but it is no longer available. I had great success with Gypsy this past spring and winter. Bishop and Snow Crown are good cauliflowers. Bishop is larger and later so make sure it is in the ground early enough in the spring.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2017   #39
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™
 
Gardeneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: NC - zone 8a - heat zone 7
Posts: 4,840
Default

I planted some sweet peas in the garden today. I made holes about 3/4 "(dia.) x 1 1/2"(deep), dropped the seeds inside and covered the row with pine stray.
So the sprout will have little resistance coming up.
__________________
Gardeneer

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2017   #40
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™
 
MuddyToes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Delaware
Posts: 234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I planted some sweet peas in the garden today. I made holes about 3/4 "(dia.) x 1 1/2"(deep), dropped the seeds inside and covered the row with pine stray.
So the sprout will have little resistance coming up.
I am envious. We have snow in the forecast for Thursday with an overnight low of 21 degF. Otherwise this week will be unseasonably warm.

C'mon spring!
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #41
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™
 
Gardeneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: NC - zone 8a - heat zone 7
Posts: 4,840
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyToes View Post
I am envious. We have snow in the forecast for Thursday with an overnight low of 21 degF. Otherwise this week will be unseasonably warm.

C'mon spring!
Sorry.
I planted them , ibut t does not mean that they will grow soon. I just let them to do it on their own term and time. Snow peas and sweet peas are cole crop that like cold weather ( SNOW ?).
If they rot I will plant anothe set. I've got more seeds
__________________
Gardeneer

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #42
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Omaha Zone 5
Posts: 2,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Sorry.
I planted them , ibut t does not mean that they will grow soon. I just let them to do it on their own term and time. Snow peas and sweet peas are cole crop that like cold weather ( SNOW ?).
If they rot I will plant anothe set. I've got more seeds
I think you might have confused cole with cold. Cole is not a typo.
Cole crops are in the mustard family. Examples of ColE are broccoli cauliflower brussels sprouts..

Peas are legumes. Other legumes are beans and peanuts. Some like hot , some cold growing conditions.

If you went ahead and bought broccoli seeds, the technique in the first post is a superior method of planting the cole family seeds in your seed tray. You will get nice stocky transplants if you use the method F_P shared.

Good luck with the peas , they are one of my favorite homegrown veggies. I'm new to growing them too.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #43
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™
 
Gardeneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: NC - zone 8a - heat zone 7
Posts: 4,840
Default

Thanks for the lesson, Lisa.
My impression for "cole crop" was anything that doe not mind spring/fall cool/colld weather.
Yeah, "Kohl " is cabbage in German. Coleslaw is made with cabbage.
__________________
Gardeneer

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #44
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™
 
MuddyToes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Delaware
Posts: 234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Thanks for the lesson, Lisa.
My impression for "cole crop" was anything that doe not mind spring/fall cool/colld weather.
Yeah, "Kohl " is cabbage in German. Coleslaw is made with cabbage.
I thought it was just a colloquialism for "cold" too.
I will start some peas soon, maybe this weekend thanks to the MMMM Bean Swap.

I harvested a beautiful salad today of mixed lettuce, mache, spinach and baby greens that I had over wintered under a light row cover.

So now is the time to start mustard greens? I've never grown them before. I got seeds for these in the Swap, too.
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2017   #45
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™
 
Gardeneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: NC - zone 8a - heat zone 7
Posts: 4,840
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyToes View Post
I thought it was just a colloquialism for "cold" too.
I will start some peas soon, maybe this weekend thanks to the MMMM Bean Swap.

I harvested a beautiful salad today of mixed lettuce, mache, spinach and baby greens that I had over wintered under a light row cover.

So now is the time to start mustard greens? I've never grown them before. I got seeds for these in the Swap, too.
I had broadcasted some mustard greens seeds in my garden, in November. They germinated and grew slowly. They lived many night with lows going down as low as to 23F. But then once we had lows down to 16F. They got toasted. I think 20F is what they can survive.
I think it would be better to germinate in garage. and then slowly harden them up and plant in the garden. Right now I am germinating salad greens in my cold frame.
The 15 days forecast looks goo, except for tomorrow night with low dipping down to 27F.
My chives and parsley are coming along. The most cold hardy plants are garlic. They did not budge at 16F.
__________________
Gardeneer

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:31 AM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2019 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★