Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 29, 2018   #16
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Pre-soaking... how long?

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2018   #17
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Pre-soaking... how long?
For old seed?
I had a long thread regarding my 15 year old Zena’s gift seeds and diluted peroxide.
Nan
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2018   #18
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Not necessarily old, just to prevent helmets.

Nan
Old April 29, 2018   #19
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

If the seed is fresh then should be no need. Try planting the seed a bit deeper in moist mix. The seed coat should come off on the way out of the soil. Too shallow, too dry = more than normal share of seeds emerging with their seed coats still on. I personally have a theory, untested, that heat mats can contribute to the problem by making the seedlings pop up so fast there is no time for the seed coat to soften thouroughly. Tomato seeds sprout very well without bottom heat.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2018   #20
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Well, I seem to be getting more of them as my seed gets older. I had more stubborn ones this year than I ever had before. I just transplanted 50 seedlings into solo cups today and found some with a set of true leaves and the cotyledons were still fused by a helmet head underneath the true leaves. So, even if they never come apart, they will still produce true leaves. I seperated them anyway, but I wasn't worried about damaging the cotyledons anymore since they also had true leaves. Makes it easier when you aren't as worried about it, lol.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018   #21
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the hope of a good outcome, Sue!

Nan
Old May 4, 2018   #22
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Good thread. Cotton balls, spit, depth, and heat mats. It makes a lot of sense.

I call it stuck seed coat.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2018   #23
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

The Ramallet Ibiza Blanca I removed the helmet of, is still hanging in there. The cots don't look normal but have expanded a bit. Best of all, a second Ibiza Blanca sprouted --but with a helmet head, of course.

Nan
Old May 30, 2018   #24
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

The helmet heads eventually found a will to grow. Planted one in container, and one in ground. I kept a 3rd one as a backup, in the container, planted on the very edge of the pot. It outgrew and dwarfed 2X the one in the ground. Seeing as it was so healthy, I found a planting spot for a 3rd one.
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2018   #25
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I had to do major surgery on 2 helmets this year, same species (Ramallet Ibiza Blanca). Both struggled for a long time. One lived and is finally becoming robust after months; the other died.

Nan
Old June 1, 2018   #26
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

6 year old seed is where I start seeing helmet heads.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2018   #27
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

I ended up with "beheaded" seedlings from Yellow Cookie and Brown Berry, both "packed for 2018." In each case the seed sprouted and came up as a stump -- the cotyledon and its coat buried in the planting mix. I used Jiffy peat pellets and maybe they weren't as friable a medium as they should have been.

Yellow Cookie planted in loose planting mix still came up as a "helmet head" and I will be patient with this little one. I've read here that spit will loosen the seed coat. I wonder if glycerine would work also?

The weirdest "helmet head" seedling was one from Cornue des Andes (planted in a Jiffy peat pellet). The seedling looked like a little green worm and was growing sideways rather than up. Upon closer inspection I noticed that in the effort to grow (I hadn't touched it) the seed head had split from the rooted portion, so the plant was now composed of a blind stump and a "helmet head" seedling broken off. HOWEVER the seedling, in its struggle, had managed to send forth a tiny root.

I took this "helmet head" half, gently liberated it from its seed coat, and planted it in loose mix with some dianthus starts. Now its little compacted cotyledons are beginning to unfurl and its stem is starting to straighten out. I hope it makes it.
GreenThumbGal_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2018   #28
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Wow, that is one seedling with a powerful will to live!

Nan
Old June 6, 2018   #29
Groundhog
Tomatovillian™

This has been an interesting thread for me. I've always started my seeds in the 9 oz. size Solo cups and have never had a helmet head. I had plenty of seeds left from my Mule Teams so I tried a little experiment. I planted 6 cups of 3 seeds each in the little 2 oz. cups, 3/4 full and placed them on a heat mat. I got 18 helmet head plants. I don't know what it proves but I know I'll stick to my bigger cups from now on.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2018   #30
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Groundhog, how deep do you plant your seed? And do you think you planted them the same depth in the 9 oz & 2 oz cups?
Nan