Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 4, 2016   #16
Shapshftr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeoba69 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. This garden is directly next to the soybean field on my grandfather's farm. Im not sure what herbicides they spray but it wouldn't suprise me if it was. Im hoping it is just stress. Not sure how you can "fix" herbicide exposure?
You can't fix it but if it's mild the plants can outgrow it. It doesn't look like herbicide damage though, as it doesn't have the classic shepherd’s hook curled leaves.

This is what curl looks like from herbicide damage:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tomato leaf curl.jpg (36.3 KB, 113 views)
Shapshftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2016   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapshftr View Post
The leaves on that first plant are white in the pic from the sunlight. Other than that it looks like wind burn to me. My tomatoes have the same thing. After I planted them it was hot, dry and windy here for about 2 weeks. Now they are twice the size they were then, and all the new growth is beautiful and healthy. All the old leaves have physiological leaf roll. Here's a good article about leaf roll and curling.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/v...st-or-Curl.pdf

more info http://extension.psu.edu/plants/vege...curl-on-tomato
Yes, as I said initially, a photography issue with taking pictures and sunlight.

I had written a very long post for those who had said it had to be herbicide damage and had almost finished but then my DSL line went out and has been out for several hours and now I don't want to go back and try to remember all that I posted.

To me one of the great things about TV is that personal opinions are always welcome on most issues,not religion or politics,as we all should know.

Carolyn
Old July 4, 2016   #18
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I think you are seeing some leaves that are partially white which certainly could indicate herbicide damage,and I forget right now which herbicde since different herbicides can give different symptoms.
Just for future reference in case someone consults this thread later:

Glyphosate (Roundup) causes whitening. It has a very striking appearance, showing at the base of the leaflets.

Here's a photo from the Clemson Extension Tomato Diseases and Disorders page.

gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2016   #19
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Oh, yeah... I did that this Spring to a dwarf.. oops. I misted it as I was getting the thistles sprayed. this is exactly what my one tomato looked like. I normally don't resort to round up but I am losing the battle and pulled out the container this year. oops!
Old July 7, 2016   #20
Emeoba69
Tomatovillian™

So I asked the soil vendor the ph level of the soil (Evans Landscaping super soil). They said it generally about 7.2-7.5. Rather alkaline. Could this be part of the issue?
Emeoba69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2016   #21
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoes can tolerate that pH, even if it's not ideal. Looking back, I notice a "frilly" look to a lot of the curled leaves. That makes me suspect herbicide damage of the hormonal kind.
Old July 22, 2016   #22
Emeoba69
Tomatovillian™

I have taken some additional pictures. Size wise it doesnt seem like the plants are being affected. Some grew out of it, others haven't. Aunt Gertie's gold seem to be the least effected.

My entire row of Opalka are rolled like this:

This is the one from the original post that looked the worst, now half grown out of it. The plant next to it, not in shot, is the opposite and the older leaves are fine and new growth is curled.

Aunt Gertie's Gold, less curl more yellowing from something else:

Shot of most of my set up:
Old July 22, 2016   #23
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Some of those plants are pretty small for plants that went in the ground 6 weeks ago. That makes me lean toward herbicide damage as the culprit.
Old July 26, 2016   #24
Emeoba69
Tomatovillian™

There are maybe 7-8 that have been severely stunted, as in havent grown over 7-10 inches. Im thinking it is due to something other than what ever is causing the curl. Im not the most attentive tomato gardener, getting them out in Mid July should be an indicator there. I gave some to my mom who planted them at her boyfriend's in Indiana a few weeks before mine. The soil is somehow miraculously better an hour away. They are all 5' plus with fist size tomatoes. They never get cracking or blossom end rot (olpalkas) over there either and they put less time into them than I do.
Old July 26, 2016   #25
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Lots of things that cause curly leaves also cause severe stunting. For example, herbicides and viruses.
Old July 26, 2016   #26
Shapshftr
Tomatovillian™

Is that wood chips on the soil all around them?
Old July 28, 2016   #27
Emeoba69
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapshftr View Post
Is that wood chips on the soil all around them?
Yeah I get Pine Fines for my soil less mix and decided to use it this year as a mulch.
Old July 28, 2016   #28
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

The yellowing that you see is Early Blight and you should cut it off to prevent spreading.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2016   #29
Shapshftr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeoba69 View Post
Yeah I get Pine Fines for my soil less mix and decided to use it this year as a mulch.
Using wood chips in gardens is a no no, and shouldn't be used in soiless mix either, because that goes into the garden with the plants. It locks up all of the nitrogen. I would try heavy watering and fertilizer. It looks like some at least, are outgrowing some sort of herbicide damage.
Old August 6, 2016   #30
Shapshftr
Tomatovillian™

It could also be little leaf syndrome, the exact cause of which is unknown. There have been reports of it in Ohio. Read this article and look at the pictures.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/cv278