Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old March 17, 2007   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default bean production

I have bush blue lake and roma II and am wondering what type of yield I might expect from each plant if they do well. Just an estimate would be great
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2007   #2
jhp
Tomatovillian™

umm... you have more than one plant of each, right? I know you must, but the first time I read your post, it sounded like you had a plant of each, as in one. I can't give you numbers as to how many you will get. A handful? Two handfuls? Actually, I've only grown the bush blue lake of the two you listed. I just go ahead and plant a lot. Of a small packet, I'd plant the entire thing. We really like green beans. I got really good production from Royalty Purple Pod. They kept producing all summer for me and they are purple when raw. The turn green when cooked, but it's fun to harvest the purple beans.
jhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2007   #3
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I have around 75 or 80 plants, I was just trying to imagine yield. couple handfuls per plant maybe?
Old March 23, 2007   #4
jhp
Tomatovillian™

I'd say about that, but not all at once of course. You might get a few beans from each plant ready to pick on a given day. I just go down the line and pick until I have enough for dinner. I'm very unscientific about my gardening. I like to grow lots so I can share with neighbors and friends and always have some for me.
jhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2007   #5
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Believe it or not, but of everything I am growing, green beans and potatoes are the only thing that everyone in the house will eat. They wont touch tomatoes, cucumbers, okra, eggplant or peppers of any kind. So I was hoping to harvest enough over a few days period to have with dinner one night. My grandson loves green beans.
Old March 23, 2007   #6
Earl
Tomatovillian™

If you've got 40 Roma II plants planted 18" apart, get the canner out. :-) With as many beans as you're going to get you should consider canning some as Dilly Beans. Blue Book recipe is great!
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2007   #7
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I have them spaced at 5 to 6 inches, probably too close but I could still thin them some if needed
Old March 24, 2007   #8
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I keep a Ziplock in the fridge for beans. I wash, but do not "snap" them before adding the day's haul to the bag. I poke a few holes in the bag with a knife for vapor exchange and if the beans are especially wet, I throw a paper towel in there. After 2-4 days, I've got plenty to go with dinner.

P.S. The longest way I've found to keep lettuce is to wash the whole head, shake it a few times to get out most of the water, and put it in a long tupperware box lined with 2 folded paper towels. The paper towels hold and exchange moisture with the lettuce. I've had lettuce look perfectly fine a MONTH later, but the taste suffered.

Last edited by feldon30; March 24, 2007 at 08:08 AM.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote