Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 4, 2018   #1
MickyT
Tomatovillian™

Default Slovak heirlooms?

Hi tomato friends,

I have been considering trying to breed a tomato for a while and I got this idea of crossing a Slovak heirloom variety with a Czech variety in an effort to bring Czechoslovakia back together in the form of a tomato. I was 8 years old when the country separated and it was a very sad moment for me and many others. There's obviously a lot of Czech tomatoes that are discussed here all the time and I'm growing Stupice, Moravski Div and Marianna's Peace this year, as well as the only Slovak tomato I've been able to find, St. Teresa. The only info I've been able to find on St. Teresa is from Tomatofest where I got the seeds from. Does anyone have any more info on this variety or is anyone aware of other Slovak heirlooms out there?

Thanks in advance!
MickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2018   #2
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I found this one:
Tiger Tom
http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Tiger_Tom

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2018   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I like your thinking about putting the two countries back together,this might help

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Tomatoes_by_Origin

But even better would be to contact Vladimir here at Tville and I will send him a PM and ask him to stop by when he has time,he is from the Czech Republic.

Carolyn
Old May 4, 2018   #4
MickyT
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Nan and Carolyn!
MickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2018   #5
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I am quite surprised by your statement that you are writing about the sadness of the division of Czechoslovakia. This division was wished by more than 90% of citizens of Slovak nationality and nearly 100% of citizens in Canada and the USA, who are accustomed to Slovak nationality. And so there was the separation of Slovakia, where today they have their government, their president, another currency (Euro), etc. As they are satisfied I do not know, I do not feel sorrow. I have a lot of friends in Slovakia and many of them grow tomatoes, even some inactive members of Tomatoville.
Since 1918 (with the exception of World War II) there has been a state called the Czechoslovak Republic. Therefore, there are no legacy of Czech or Slovak tomatoes. They are only Czechoslovak and nothing can change.
Still, there are enough Slovak OP tomatoes and lots of F1 hybrids. The seeds of tomatoes, I can send you.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2018   #6
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Still, there are enough Slovak OP tomatoes and lots of F1 hybrids. The seeds of tomatoes, I can send you.
Vladimír
Does this mean you know some Slovak OP tomatoes?

Nan
Old May 6, 2018   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Does this mean you know some Slovak OP tomatoes?

Nan
.....that's what Vladimir said

(Still, there are enough Slovak OP tomatoes and lots of F1 hybrids. The seeds of tomatoes, I can send you.
Vladimír)

And yes Nan,I remember you also posting about Slovak tomatoes as well and saying how the ones you had were very rare.If so maybe it would be interesting to list them in this thread , I can't remember if yours were all F1's with some OP's but we shall see when you post them and get Vladimir's opinion about them.

And now I'm thinking of this one

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Crnkovic_Yugoslavian

Carolyn
Old May 6, 2018   #8
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

No, I've never had Slovak tomatoes, just Spanish & Romanian, which I specified are only rare here in the US. (They were all OP).

Nan
Old May 6, 2018   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
No, I've never had Slovak tomatoes, just Spanish & Romanian, which I specified are only rare here in the US. (They were all OP).

Nan
My error.

But you are still in good hands with Vladimir in listing your spanish ones since he had a huge project going for several years about Spanish varieties, he got them from Baikal, and sent me MANY of the Spanish ones.

My major source for Spanish ones has been Ilex (paco) in Spain, but hasn't been here at Tville lately,I know why,nada to do with Tville, which of course I'm not going to go into.

And yes, we have several here from Romania as well,and they have sent me new ones almost every year that have been offered in my seed offers here.

Again,I apologize for not remembering correctly, it happens. As long as I'm still on earth,or even here at Tville, I no doubt will make some errors, but when I'm NOT on Earth,meaning also I'm NOT at Tville, well that's a different story.And I have several options to consider as well, as to how long I think it best to stay at Tville and in what capacity. Having been here on day One, back in Jan of 2006 it's been fine until the past few years,just my own opinion,which,sadly certain others here agree with as to their participation, and have left.

Carolyn
Old May 6, 2018   #10
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn: this is OT; but I for one, will miss you and your input here on the forums when you are gone.(for whatever reason that would be)
Hope that you will have many healthy and happy seasons here on earth before 'graduating'.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2018   #11
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
I am quite surprised by your statement that you are writing about the sadness of the division of Czechoslovakia. This division was wished by more than 90% of citizens of Slovak nationality and nearly 100% of citizens in Canada and the USA, who are accustomed to Slovak nationality. And so there was the separation of Slovakia, where today they have their government, their president, another currency (Euro), etc. As they are satisfied I do not know, I do not feel sorrow. I have a lot of friends in Slovakia and many of them grow tomatoes, even some inactive members of Tomatoville.
Since 1918 (with the exception of World War II) there has been a state called the Czechoslovak Republic. Therefore, there are no legacy of Czech or Slovak tomatoes. They are only Czechoslovak and nothing can change.
Vladimír
Vladimir,

Both of my father's parents immigrated over a 100 years ago from Terna, Czechoslovakia which I believe is part of Slovakia now. Visiting my grandmother when she was alive, I don't seem to recall her growing or even using tomatoes in any of her cooking or my parents as I was growing up. And it wasn't until I got married to an Italian, that I started to have much use for tomatoes. In what ways are tomatoes used in your country, other than eaten whole or used in soups?

Old Proverb
pondgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2018   #12
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

My grandmother came from the Austro-Hungarian empire, from the area that became Czechoslovakia, "near Vienna." These days, I get asked if I'm Czech or Slovak. On the map, Vienna is at the border between the Czech republic and Slovakia, no help there. Her last name was Murovich, so does anyone know whether that is Czech or Slovak?

Nan
(sorry I'm getting off topic)
Old May 7, 2018   #13
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Nan, you are definately have the answer - you are an American
And you can reply also that your roots are in Austro-Hungarian Empire and Czechoslovakia. If your know particular place (region, town or village) you can name it.
Vienna is very close to Bratislava. Borders have been moving during centuries and after wars. No need to identify everybody in a modern way of country naming
I was born in Soviet Union which used to call Russian Empire and Kievan Rus before But it is written I was born in Republic of Georgia in my passport which is untrue, because I was born in Tbilisi, then the capital of Georgian Soviet Soсialist Republic in the Soviet Union.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2018   #14
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
Nan, you are definitely have the answer - you are an American
... No need to identify everybody in a modern way of country naming ...
Thank goodness for this!

Nan
Old May 10, 2018   #15
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

More and more people are interested in us who were their ancestors. Ancestors can be traced back to the 18th century, when mandatory registers were introducedin all the parishes in Austria-Hungary (for Empress Maria Teresie). The applicant can search for himself (some of the matrices are already digitized). Great interest is from descendants of Czech immigrants living in North and South America (USA, Canada, Argentina, ...). I do not really care for it, I just know that my great-grandfather was of German nationality.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote