Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old February 20, 2012   #31
RayR
Tomatovillian™

I never grew strawberry from seeds before, but I bought some Alpine seeds this month, I didn't stratify them, I just planted 12 seeds per cell on top of wet seed starting mix and put them under my lights on a heat mat at 70°F. I started to see germination in 4 days. I was expecting low germination rate as others have experienced, but I got this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alpine_Strawberry_Seedlings.jpg (241.7 KB, 65 views)
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2012   #32
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Wow!Wow, that's amazing!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2012   #33
RayR
Tomatovillian™

I thought so too, they all got a set of true leaves now. I guess I'm gonna have a mess of Alpine Strawberry plants.
Old March 2, 2012   #34
lurley
Tomatovillian™

I wintersowed mine last year and had great germination also. I am planting more the same way today.
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2012   #35
puttgirl
Tomatovillian™

I wintersowed mine a few years ago. They were very successful, too. I still have them in the same window box, I'm not sure what to do with them.
puttgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2012   #36
lurley
Tomatovillian™

I am planting mine in a raised bed, and using them as ground cover in my flowerbeds.
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2012   #37
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

Are Alpine strawberries the same as say Ozark or other types you can buy at the store? Can you plant the seeds from regular strawberries?
I started a few roots from the bags that lowes sells, took two bags out of 5 back because they were dead.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2012   #38
puttgirl
Tomatovillian™

Alpines are very small and aromatic. I know when I've left them overripen and fall off, they have reseeded. I'm not sure about commercial varieties, but it's worth a shot.
puttgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2012   #39
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

I planted all three varieties from Pinetree this year. White, yellow and red. All with GREAT germination. As before, I stuck them in the freezer for a month then barely sowed them on the surface of some potting mix. We had a cold spell then unusually warm. They are growing like crazy.
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2012   #40
gardenfrog
Tomatovillian™

Alpines are not the same as those for sale commercially. The Alpines are usually much smaller, but with a bolder strawberry flavor. The Alpines also are more aromatic. If you want flavor, Alpines are great! If you want flavor on a lesser scale, but with much greater size and volume, the commercial varieties are good. Ozark is one of the better-tasting commercial varieties.
gardenfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2012   #41
John3
Tomatovillian™

Does anyone know if these are the eatable type
AROMATIC GOURMET GERMAN YELLOW ALPINE STRAWBERRY
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i05_details
John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2012   #42
BarbJ
Tomatovillian™

They look like the yellow alpines I have. The fruit especially looks the same. So probably.
BarbJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2012   #43
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

John,

Contacting the seller would likely confirm their edibility. They look like Yellow Wonder. I've heard that birds don't go for the yellow ones as much as the red ones. And, the birds do like the red ones.

Ray,

My germination rate was about 3% when I tried Alpine strawberries several years ago. In about 4-5 years, are you going to divide all of those plants? I think I got about 10-12 babies from each mother plant, when I divided mine.

Tormato

Quote:
Originally Posted by John3 View Post
Does anyone know if these are the eatable type
AROMATIC GOURMET GERMAN YELLOW ALPINE STRAWBERRY
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i05_details
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2012   #44
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post

Ray,

My germination rate was about 3% when I tried Alpine strawberries several years ago. In about 4-5 years, are you going to divide all of those plants? I think I got about 10-12 babies from each mother plant, when I divided mine.

Tormato
I haven't thought that far ahead yet. I haven't grown Alpine Strawberries before and never grown strawberries from seed before, so this is new to me.
I potted up half of the healthiest seedlings in individual cells last weekend, 39 plants. They have been outside under cover before that in the daytime, so they are hardened off. They are still small, but slowly popping new growth, maybe being crowded and the cool temps had been holding them back a bit.
Old April 13, 2012   #45
John3
Tomatovillian™

Thanks BarbJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
John,

Contacting the seller would likely confirm their edibility. They look like Yellow Wonder. I've heard that birds don't go for the yellow ones as much as the red ones. And, the birds do like the red ones.
I'll try that. I am wondering if i should through the seeds away or grow them. I got the yellow as i had read the birds leave them alone because of there color. And this would be, if I grow them, the first time growing strawberries from seed.
John3 is offline   Reply With Quote