Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 11, 2018   #1
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Default New Garden Plot - Long Term Soil Building Project

So, today I decided to get started on expanding my Garden empire! Actually it was yesterday, but then the Tiller wouldnt fire up. I had to clean out the carburetor, then after that it started to rain. So today became the day that I broke ground on a new garden plot!

The location in question, and the trusty Cub Cadet RT65 tiller. This has been in the works for a couple years.

This location is located on the Southern side of the property. Since we had our property timbered, I have been keeping it mowed. Or at least partially mowed. Not every week, but about once a month. The main nuisance is wild black berries. They are a beast if not maintained. This particular area has the least amount of stumps, and is fairly flat. It runs downhill at maybe 10 degrees. Give or take.

On a side note, its amazing how fast Mother Nature takes back. I have been clearing out the debris as I mow the last couple of years, but it quickly became "yard looking". This is just one part of our property. All in all, we have over 4 acres. My main goal is to slowly reclaim it over time.

A nice specimen of a rock. I wear a size 13 shoe.

The first tilling went far better then I expected. A healthy amount of roots, but the tiller jerks them out. This plot measures 16 foot by 125 foot.

Next week I plan to get compost. I can have my truck loaded up for $20. A few loads should hopefully cover it. The bad part is that I cant get my truck back to this location. To many stumps in the way. I need to rent a stump grinder, but thats a project for another time. Ill have to use the trailer I have for my mower, and take it back. Its a dumping trailer, so at least I have that going for me.

This is definitely a long term soil building project. My goal is too keep working this over the Spring and Summer. Hopefully will get a Fall harvest out of it. Im thinking the easy stuff. Squash and Beans.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote