Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old December 20, 2015   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

It would be easier to just buy a bag of hydrated lime and use 90 grain vinegar on it.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2015   #17
Lycopersica
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
For any element ( N, P, K, Ca, Mg, S, Mn Fe...) to be uptaken by plants, those elements should be in ionic solution state. Let me give you an example. When you dissolve table salt (NaCl) in water it is in an ionic form ( Na+Cl-). But if you put some Gypsum in water it won't be in ionic form. The ionic form can be in a compond form too, nitrate, phosphate, sulfate ..
The same is with eggshell. No matter how finly you grind it, it will be still in solid state.

SIMPLE SOLUTION:

grind your eggshell in your coffee grinder, keep adding household vinegar to it, while stirring. Until no more bubbles appear. Let it sit few days, stir. add some more vinegar. If no more bubbling, then it is done. There will some sediments. Don't worry. Because the eggshell was not pure Calcium Carbonate.
What you've got now is CALCIUM ACETATE in ionic form than plants can use. You can put a half a cup of it in a gallon watering can and water your plants with it. It will be immediately available. to the plants.

Gardeneer
That works if you need a calcium supplement and your soil is alkaline. If you keep adding vinegar until there are no bubbles, you'll neutralize the alkalinity of the calcium carbonate. The solution will end up neutral or, more likely, slightly acidic. If your soil is already acidic, any extra vinegar will do more harm than good. The good news is that, when it's wet, the acidic soil will react with the calcium carbonate just like the vinegar would (albeit more slowly). Over time, you'll get less acidic soil with ionic calcium in it. Grinding the egg shells will help to create more surface area for acids in the soil to contact the calcium carbonate.
Old December 29, 2015   #18
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycopersica View Post
That works if you need a calcium supplement and your soil is alkaline. If you keep adding vinegar until there are no bubbles, you'll neutralize the alkalinity of the calcium carbonate. The solution will end up neutral or, more likely, slightly acidic. If your soil is already acidic, any extra vinegar will do more harm than good. The good news is that, when it's wet, the acidic soil will react with the calcium carbonate just like the vinegar would (albeit more slowly). Over time, you'll get less acidic soil with ionic calcium in it. Grinding the egg shells will help to create more surface area for acids in the soil to contact the calcium carbonate.
Yes.
The degree of acidity or alkalinity is not going to be much to have a significant effect on the soil pH, when the brew is mixed with water.

A note to myself to check the pH , the next time I brew some.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2015   #19
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Yes.
The degree of acidity or alkalinity is not going to be much to have a significant effect on the soil pH, when the brew is mixed with water.

A note to myself to check the pH , the next time I brew some.

Gardeneer
I agree, acetic acid is a very weak acid anyway.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote