Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old July 6, 2015   #1
Minnesota Mato
Tomatovillian™

Default egg shells

I work at a restaurant and I save a lot of egg shells. I have been putting them in the oven for 30 min to kill any bacteria then putting them in my coffee grinder. It comes out like white sand. What is the best way to incorporate it into my soil so my plants get the most out of it?
Minnesota Mato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #2
digsdirt
Tomatovillian™

Despite the many unscientific claims to the contrary, direct benefit from eggshells in the garden soil is minimal. Plus they are calcium carbonate and so not a form of calcium most plants can benefit from even if one's soil is low in calcium (which is rare).

The best way of incorporating egg shells is adding them to your compost pile where the many beneficial bacteria can go to work on them for the long period of time it takes for them to break down.

Understanding Calcium

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com.h...m-supplements/

Don't get me wrong, they won't hurt anything unless your soil happens to already be quite alkaline as they will increase that if used in large amounts. But the benefits are not all they are cracked up to be,

Dave
Old July 6, 2015   #3
Minnesota Mato
Tomatovillian™

I was told that my hot peppers needed a lot of calcium and also adding vinegar to it some how made it more usable to the plants.
Minnesota Mato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #4
digsdirt
Tomatovillian™

Well I don't know the source of that info but peppers don't require and more soil calcium than most any other vegetable. Did they say why? Usually when that old claim is made it is because you have had some BER problems wre" it.ith your peppers. Old garden lore claims it is caused by a lack of calcium and that TUMs or egg shells or milk or all sorts of things will "cure" it. Nope.

There has been decades of research into the problem since Grandpa's days and the truth is there is plenty of calcium in the soil and what causes the BER is inconsistent moisture levels (like lots of rain or or drought or poor watering techniques) that affect the distribution of it into the fruit when the plant and its root structure are young. As the plant matures and the roots develop and the soil moisture levels stabilizes it goes away all on its own.

All the vinegar does is allow the acetic acid (a weak acid) in it to break down the egg shells a little faster and compensate in part for the alkaline nature of calcium carbonate.

So as I said if you want to add your egg shells to the soil and do all that baking and grinding they won't hurt anything and a year or so from now when they are fully decomposed they may be of some benefit. But if BER is your issue and it disappears please don't credit it to the eggshells. Credit it to the maturing of your plants.

Dave
Old July 6, 2015   #5
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Friend of mine grows potato and dry beans, thats how he makes his living.
He gets truckloads of eggshells free and its one of his main fertility inputs, he is a no chemical kind of guy.
Eggshell
N 1.19
P .38
K .14

They are raw and rude. Not cooked.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015   #6
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I mix them with coffee grounds and then I sprinkle them on the surface of the ground before I cover it with mulch. Works for me.

I figure all I am doing is feeding the earthworms. But that's a good thing in my book. Many indirect beneficial things come from that. It may be a while before the nutrients make it to the plants, but they will get there eventually.

Organic growers need to look at the long term not just the short term. Eggshells along with all decomposing plant animal and microbiology materials are definitely beneficial long term.

So as long as you view it as part of a long term regime of soil health, and not a "magic bullet", then go for it.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015   #7
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I collect eggshell and coffe on my countertop and add it to my soil once containers are full. I am doing it for years.
Another thing that is beneficial to plants is shrimp shells/heads/tails. If you add it raw is great, cooked will do as well. Suppose it helps tomatoes to fight deceases, I read somewhere. In my garden they decay fast, few months.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015   #8
4season
Tomatovillian™

Last year I put crushed not powdered eggshells in every tomato hole. I have alkali soil with high calcium and didn't see any benefit. Shrimp, lobster and crab shells and fungi contain chitin which may help control root knot nematodes. Whatever "eats" chitin increases and root knot nematodes eggs have a chitin shell so more are eaten.
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015   #9
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

Like all or most of you I have had incidents of BER; some years I have had inconsistent moisture levels and have some BER, other years with inconsistent moisture level I have none. Like Digsdirt said in almost all cases it goes away(even without any soil additives). In my years of gardening I have lost only one plant that was totally wipe out by BER and that was a plum variety, the name of which escapes me at the moment but I will remember about 3am tonight.
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015   #10
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I feed them to the chickens to make more eggs. They are pretty broken down once they are chicken poop!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2015   #11
salix
Tomatovillian™

Mine go in raw and crushed - and I do not take pains to drain off all the egg white either, I figure it adds a bit more protein (nitrogen)... Like Scott, it is part of a long range plan.
Old July 20, 2015   #12
Lycopersica
Tomatovillian™

I imagine the calcium carbonate in egg shells would have the same effect as calcium carbonate in lime (unless the structure of the shell makes it less available to the soil). Of course, it would take a lot of eggs to add up to a box of lime.
Old July 20, 2015   #13
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

We (dogs and humans), eat a lot of eggs and I toss the shells into my compost.

I did try grinding them and adding them at planting time for a couple of seasons - for the worms mostly, but it was a lot of work to grind them all so finely.

One year I had horrible BER on Roma's and Rose de Berne varieties. I haven't grown those varieties since!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2015   #14
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Adding eggshells to the worm factory takes them a long time to be digested. Worms still do the job though.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2015   #15
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

For any element ( N, P, K, Ca, Mg, S, Mn Fe...) to be uptaken by plants, those elements should be in ionic solution state. Let me give you an example. When you dissolve table salt (NaCl) in water it is in an ionic form ( Na+Cl-). But if you put some Gypsum in water it won't be in ionic form. The ionic form can be in a compond form too, nitrate, phosphate, sulfate ..
The same is with eggshell. No matter how finly you grind it, it will be still in solid state.

SIMPLE SOLUTION:

grind your eggshell in your coffee grinder, keep adding household vinegar to it, while stirring. Until no more bubbles appear. Let it sit few days, stir. add some more vinegar. If no more bubbling, then it is done. There will some sediments. Don't worry. Because the eggshell was not pure Calcium Carbonate.
What you've got now is CALCIUM ACETATE in ionic form than plants can use. You can put a half a cup of it in a gallon watering can and water your plants with it. It will be immediately available. to the plants.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote