Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old February 13, 2011   #1
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Default Myth-Busters Challenge - Biota Max vs. MycoGrow - Confirmed!

In early October, I planted Oregon Giant Snow Peas in two adjacent EarthTainers to grow over the Winter. I wanted to evaluate the effect of comparing Biota Max versus MycoGrow with no other variables.

On October 23, I inoculated the 'Tainer on the left with MycoGrow, and the 'Tainer on the right with Biota Max. Here they are on December 15:

Note that the 'Tainer with MycoGrow took an early lead in growth.

However, the Biota Max inoculated 'Tainer eventually caught up and surpassed the MycoGrow 'Tainer:

Production also appears better from the Biota Max:

Average Snow Pea size has run about 4 inches:

So, my conclusion is in a head-to-head trial, Biota Max beat out MycoGrow. Again, not a statistically conclusive study, but it is an interesting comparison.

As both MycoGrow and Biota Max cost about $6.00 delivered, I recommend doing a 50% / 50% blend of both products as there are ingredients in each that are unique.

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; February 14, 2011 at 12:23 AM.
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2011   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Good stuff Ray. Couldn't agree more on the 50/50 blend and would also reccomend adding Actinovate to the mix. Ami
Old February 14, 2011   #3
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Good stuff Ray. Couldn't agree more on the 50/50 blend and would also recommend adding Actinovate to the mix. Ami
Agreed. I am planning on the MycoGrow / Biota Max inoculation about 3 weeks after initial plant-out, then doing an Actinovate treatment 3 weeks hence.

BTW, I planted out a Black & Brown Boar, Pink Boar, and NARX today, as they simply outgrew their inside InnTainers and had to go out. They are each over 4 feet tall as of now. I know it is VERY early for N. California, but I've got 18 inch tall back-ups of each, if we get hit by a freeze.

Raybo
Old February 14, 2011   #4
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Good stuff Ray. Couldn't agree more on the 50/50 blend and would also reccomend adding Actinovate to the mix. Ami
Would not the Myco grow soluble work like the Actinovate as part of its formula is the same bacteria in Actinovate?
Old February 14, 2011   #5
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Would not the Myco grow soluble work like the Actinovate as part of its formula is the same bacteria in Actinovate?
Same bacteria but a different strain. Ami
Old February 14, 2011   #6
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Ray/Ami - How are the MycoGrow and BiotaMax applied? Is it a one-time soil drench after transplant; a periodic applications throughout the growing season; or ???
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2011   #7
creister
Tomatovillian™

I was also wondering if you (Ray) apply any mycos at transplant time. I think it was Ami that dipped the root balls at transplant time?
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2011   #8
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

As I grow my seedlings in Dot Pots/Cow Pots I just dip them in a water bath that has had Actinovate, Biota Max and Mycogrow soluable added to it. Remove, drain and plant. You can do the same with seedlings grown in plastic pots also. Dip them in the solution, remove and allow excess to drain back into the bucket, remove plant from plastic pot and plant. Ami
Old February 14, 2011   #9
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

Raybo

Isnt there a fertilizer or NPK amount that will damage or kill soil bacterias when applied after the Biotamax? I remember reading somewhere on here about what not to use after treating with Mycorra or Biotamax. I forgot to remember what it was or where that post was located. Can you advise??

ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2011   #10
creister
Tomatovillian™

I believe that you do not want your percentage of phosphours, the P of NPK, to be above 3-4 percent.
Old February 14, 2011   #11
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

dipchip,

If you are using Tomato-tone (3-4-6) or Foliage Pro (9-3-6) things should be fine.

I am sure Ami's "dip method" is more precise than my (lazy) method of simply doing a single soil drench 3 weeks after plant-out, so if you really want to do it right, follow Ami's process.

Raybo
Old February 14, 2011   #12
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Ray - thanks much! What is the onlyline source you use to obtain the $6 delivered price? Thanks.

Ami: How much of Actinovate, Biota Max and Mycogrow are in the bath you use for dipping? So you dunk the entire plant, (plant, roots, dirt and all) in a big container full of water and ABM and let the excess water drain off?
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2011   #13
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Dewayne,

Funny. If you go to the Biotamax.com site, it is priced at $7.88. If however, you go to the biggertomatoes.com site, it is priced at $5.85:

http://biggertomatoes.com/GrowBigger.html

Still a good deal at the $7.88 price, but why not save a couple of Bucks.

Here is the direct link to the MycoGrow. Scroll down the page and click on the 1 ounce SOLUBLE at $5.95

http://www.fungi.com/mycogrow/index.html

Raybo
Old February 14, 2011   #14
creister
Tomatovillian™

Raybo,

Is only one tablet enough? I don't have many plants this year (24 total). I saw that Biotamax offered free shipping.
Old February 14, 2011   #15
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by creister View Post
Raybo,

Is only one tablet enough? I don't have many plants this year (24 total). I saw that Biotamax offered free shipping.
Are you sure the "biggertomatoes" site does not offer free shipping as well? Both sites are owned by the same person.

The Biota Max site says one tablet is good for 1/4 acre, so with the one tablet, I break it in half, and save the unused half for next Season. I don't think I have anywhere near 1/8 of an acre to then treat.....

Raybo