Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old February 18, 2009   #46
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Elizabeth-its not tomato-tone, its plant tone.

http://www.espoma.com/content.aspx?t...ntCategoryID=4

Plant-tone® 5-3-3Printer Friendly
A COMPLETE PLANT FOOD WITH ALL ESSENTIAL NUTRIENTS

Sizes: Available in 5, 10, 25, and 50 lb. bags

1 pound equals approx. 3 cupfuls

Flower Beds:: Mix Plant-tone into the top four or five inches of soil at a rate of 4 lbs. per 100 square feet (or 1/2 cup per plant). An additional feeding of 1/4 cup can be made once a month after plants are well established.
Bulbs: Place one heaping teaspoonful of Plant-tone beneath bulb and mix thoroughly with soil. Feed established beds at a rate of 4 lbs. per 100 square feet (or 1 cup per 10 sq. ft.).
Roses: When planting, mix 1 cupful of Plant-tone with soil at the bottom of hole and 1 cupful with soil used to refill hole. For established plants, apply 1 cupful evenly on soil around plant and work lightly into top 1 inch of soil. Repeat monthly during summer months.
Shrubs: When planting, mix 1 cupful with soil in the bottom of the hole and one cupful with the soil used to refill the hole. Feed established shrubs with 1 cupful per foot of branch spread.
Vegetables: When preparing garden, apply 40 lbs. of Plant-tone per 1,000 square feet and work into the top 4 to 5 inches of soil (or 1 cup per 10 sq. ft.). For individual plantings, add 2 tablespoons per vegetable. Apply at same rate once a month during growing season.
Old February 18, 2009   #47
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Michael,
So in your container tomatoes, you will use 2 tbls. per pot when planting and then 2 tbls. monthly? What type of myco are you going to use and how and when will you use it? I am going to try it out this season also but am still reading all the info Ami referred to. I also need to check our sources up here to see what brands they carry. I believe I have actually seen the Espoma "Plant Tone" in a store here, just not Tomato Tone.
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2009   #48
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Sue-I will probably put 60 cc's of plant tone into my container-I will put 2-3 plants this time in each. I am going to use the myco from T&J Enterprises. I put the myco on the roots when you transplant into the final container. And I am going to use actinovate on occassion and also when transplanting. Will use the microbe tea from T&J periodically also.
Old February 18, 2009   #49
decius
Tomatovillian™

geeboss- I've been buying Tomato-tone for years locally, then last year it became impossible to find, even with a number of places expanding their Espoma offerings.

Michael and creister- I've got Plant-tone, I use it on my shrubs. Never thought of using it on the tomatoes, I went to Garden-tone for them when I couldn't find Tomato-tone any more (already had Garden-tone for the other veggies).

Elizabeth
decius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2009   #50
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Garden tone is good also-4-6-6 with micros. The p is more than you are supposed to have to keep myco in your containers. I dont know enough about the subject to say whether or not 4-6-6 would be bad with myco. I have used garden tone on several occasions with good results.
Old February 19, 2009   #51
Thawley
Tomatovillian™

Dice – great info. Thanks.
Thawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2009   #52
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

I just got 80 lbs of plant tone-good price- but a lot of the micros are not there anymore.
Old March 13, 2009   #53
SouthCoast
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Duane~ View Post
In the picture above is Joe Jutras of RI who is the current World record holder for the largest pumpkin ever grown. That pumpkin weighed 1689 pounds. I have two seeds from that pumpkin.
Both Joe Jutras and Ron Wallace who was the previous World record holder at 1502 pounds use a mycorrhizal product called Symbios Pumpkin pro.
This product is not the only reason for their succes but has played a large role in it. Equally important factors which they have focused on are superior soil biology, genetics, pest and disease control, vine training and Luck.

This past season I used a mycorrhizal fungi in my entire garden and on all vegetable plants sold during spring sales at my greenhouse. I chose a product from http://www.mycorrhizae.com/ , thier product has a higher spore count than any other I have found on the market. It was also my first year growing tomatoes for size. I beat the previous Ohio State record for heaviest tomato ever grown in Ohio at 4.48 pounds. I also had one which weighed 3.36, one at 3.17 and several over 2 pounds.

I am totally convinced that this product has given me an edge, not just in growing for size, but my entire garden seemed healthier and more productive. I also had the most incredible root systems I have ever seen.
I was looking for mycorrhizal applications labels to see how much mycorrhizae they had per cc. I couldn't find a lable. Most if not all of the other myco products have the numbers in CFU's or CC's. During the search I noticed that they were ordered to stop selling in the state of oregon because they misslabeled one of thier products.

http://www.oregon.gov/ODA/PEST/docs/pdf/2004rpt_1.pdf

When I searched for giant pumpkins I found that the picture of that guy, Joe Jutras uses a product called Pumpkin Pro. Joe and another world record holder put out a video on how they use mycorrhizae in thier giant pumpkin growing. Check it out its very informative about how giant vegetable growers use mycorrhizae.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcagSv-V1zg

oh and here is the website of the company that makes the stuff. It looks like they have many giant pumpkin records under their belt! BTW that video is pretty commical.

http://www.reforest.com/extreme_gardening.php
SouthCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2009   #54
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Hi everyone!

I finally found an Organic Supplier in Garland Texas! That's really, really close!

GreenSense Organic Gardening Products

Their Online Store

~* Robin
==================

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
OK, for you folks in Texas I came across a company the carries some very interesting products. They sell there products locally in the Houston area and do not do online ordering. The one product of special interest is "MicroGro AF W.D." and "MicroGro Granular" plus they have some interesting Bio ferts. Heres the Link. Ami
http://www.sanjacorganic.com/horticultural.htm
Old March 17, 2009   #55
jcmorse33
Tomatovillian™

I've taken a look at the Epsoma products this year to see what the deal with on the micros... haven't done a side by side comparison of ingrediants with an older package yet but from what I can tell it looks like the main thing they have done is drop the triple superphosphate and superphosphate in order to add the same myco and bacteria spores they have in Biotone.

Don't know if this is good or bad yet. I was really pleased with the results I got last year with the old formulation. But everything I've read leads me to believe my plants don't really need as much phosphate as I was giving them. So the only question is the micros. My in ground plants should be fine as my soil tests this year indicate my raised bed soil is great. But I may add some greensand or something to my containers.

--Justin
jcmorse33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009   #56
igarden
Tomatovillian™

i've been reading a lot on this subject recently and find it fascinating. i was wondering if anyone has experimented with making their own concoctions? i am fermenting some LB (brown rice, milk, molasses) right now, and hope to continue with some EM/BIMs mixtures very soon. here's some of what i have been reading...

Using the ordinary to cultivate the mysterious power of beneficial indigenous microorganisms

http://www.rodaleinstitute.org/20040401/Hamilton

recipes...

http://lists.ifas.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa...ation%2Fmsword

here's a discussion on garden web...

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...021917181.html

there are a couple on idig...

http://idigmygarden.com/forums/showt...t=17135&page=2

http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/s...d.php?p=276059

anyone else experimenting?
igarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009   #57
Amigatec
Tomatovillian™

I am using Mycorrhizae on my Giant Pumpkin.
Amigatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009   #58
tessa
Tomatovillian™

wow. this thread is making my eyes spin.

see?
okay. ow. it hurts.

look...i live in a state that is in quarantine from the rest of the country. on top of that...i live in a country that is in quarantine from the rest of the world. long story short: i often can't get stuff. honestly. i can barely get anything here!

but i've found this: http://www.maiaustralia.com.au/store/store.php

is this the kind of stuff we're talking about here? if it is...i cannot believe my luck. it's even in my state! this sort of thing almost never happens...so it must be providence! ami...if you're still reading...is this worth a go? if it is...i'll hop on it tomorrow and give it a whirl.
tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009   #59
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

tessa, that be the stuff we are talking about. Ami
Old May 25, 2009   #60
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

While i don't know what I did to my little seedlings. . . my hostas I put a tad of myco on are HUGE. as in, gone from a dinky 8-12 inches to completely taking over and crowding out other plants, lol. One is almost 4 feet!