Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 21, 2020   #1
dshreter
Tomatovillian™

Default Disease ID

I had what I thought was powdery mildew show up, with white fuzzy spots on the tomato foliage, it also showed up on my pumpkins and cucumbers. I treated that with potassium bicarbonate, which seemed like it was working, and left black spots all over the tomato foliage I assume where the powdery mildew was. The most healthy plants did not have spotting.

However, it did seem as though it continued to spread, so subsequently I also sprayed Natria Disease Control (similar to Serenade).

A number of my plants still seem to be failing though, and the presentation on the leaves seems to have a number of different appearances. For sure it is affecting lower leaves first. Some leaves appear a bit oily. I’m hoping for help based on these photos, and guidance if it’s time to discard the plants. It’s confusing because it looks like a few different fungal diseases.
dshreter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2020   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Early blight, powdery mildew late Blight and septoria leaf spot are what I Believe I am seeing .
The plants are up against a lot here, Keep after the Anti fungal spraying and aggressive pruning of diseased foliage. Try to keep the plants dry. Fertilizer helps to keep them growing.
KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; July 22, 2020 at 12:47 AM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2020   #3
dshreter
Tomatovillian™

Yikes, that’s a lot to deal with simultaneously. Is there a reason they would strike all at once? Here in Seattle, the weather recently turned extremely sunny and dry during the days, with cool nights which I’m sure is favorable to fungal growth. Previously the plants were all extremely healthy though.

Almost all of the plants are in containers, should the soil be discarded at the end of the season?

Thank you for the help.
Old July 22, 2020   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I’m on Vancouver Island. It was wet and colder than usual here for quite a while until about a week ago. Warm now and dry but it was more likely the wet cold that did it mostly.
What varieties? That’s a factor along. Warm Sun and air flow is what they need
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2020   #5
dshreter
Tomatovillian™

I have 30 plants in a number of varieties. Cherokee Purple is probably the worst off, Kellogg’s Breakfast, Berkeley Tie Dye, Green Zebrra are all suffering. Sungold has the most yellow leaves that I’ve pruned away but the vigorous growth has helped. San Marzanos are in absolutely perfect condition.

Each plant has lots of space and airflow, pruned to either one or two stems clipped on string trellises. We have had the same weather as you, with the disease exploding when it warmed up. But maybe it all set when things were colder.
Old July 22, 2020   #6
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Powdery mildew is pretty difficult to stop when the weather is good for it. Which means cold nights, sunny days and little wind, so it doesn't even need direct water.
By far the best prevention for it is earlier sun (it pretty much makes the difference between a dead plant and an unaffected plant).

There's the bleach spray you can give a try to. It's been talked around here a lot. Also supposedly keeping the soil well moist should help (not quite clear why).
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2020   #7
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Look at remedies using Baking soda, or sodium bicarbonate.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2020   #8
dshreter
Tomatovillian™

One more photo. What condition does this look like? It seems to be spreading the fastest, so I need to quickly determine if the affected plants are still viable or should be discarded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7FB1C5B9-2D0D-4C41-B14D-B374B1005A76.jpg (160.3 KB, 55 views)
Old July 23, 2020   #9
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

It doesn't look really like anything fungal. Either some nutrient problem, or, considering how it's on the tips of the leaves, some side effect of spraying.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2020   #10
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Cool nights are the perfect condition for Late Blight which fatal and nothing will stop it. Google some LB photos and if you have that I would not expect the plants to live no matter what you do. I am sorry to say that it moves quickly and the plants die in less than 2 weeks.

The last 2 photos look to me like they have some LB.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote