Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 3, 2020   #1
uzlaguzla
Tomatovillian™

Default NAR

Out of 25 dif tomato varieties NAR is my best producer. I favor Red toms and they fill the bill.They are large and smooth with a great taste. There will always be a place for them in my garden.
uzlaguzla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2020   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

They have been a favorite of mine for quite a while and get at least several spots each year in my garden. They also are one of the most disease tolerant heirlooms that I have ever grown and they are usually quite productive and tasty. This has been one of the better seasons for NAR in my garden.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2020   #3
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm. I grew them a few years ago, but they got pushed off the list by some newcomer. I'll have to give them another try!
Old August 4, 2020   #4
Volvo
Tomatovillian™

How do you find them for firmness after picked ??.. Some of my Reds are good taste but go soft readilly after picked ..
And Your Better Best
Volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2020   #5
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Most old varieties go soft quick, and, even worse, the maximum taste period is even less than that. I would rate NAR as average, but they are blemish free, which makes them reasonable keepers. Red Brandywine had quite long shelf life in comparison to many reds I've grown.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2020   #6
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Going soft fast is a trait that is easy to change. Changes to the ethylene biopath are commonly used with hybrids, but it is not necessary to suffer the flavor loss of genes like "rin" or "nor" when "alc" is available. There are many varieties available from Spain and Italy with this gene. Piennolo del Vesuvio is one example. It can be stored on the counter for about 2 months with very little loss of texture or flavor. With humidity control, that goes up to as much as 9 months. One of my experimental disease resistant lines is from a cross with Piennolo. "alc" has to be paired with genes for thicker skin to get the most benefit as thick skin reduces moisture loss.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2020   #7
uzlaguzla
Tomatovillian™

Bill, Of all my tomatoes, Akers West Virginia stood up to blight the best
uzlaguzla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2021   #8
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Going soft fast is a trait that is easy to change. Changes to the ethylene biopath are commonly used with hybrids, but it is not necessary to suffer the flavor loss of genes like "rin" or "nor" when "alc" is available. There are many varieties available from Spain and Italy with this gene. Piennolo del Vesuvio is one example. It can be stored on the counter for about 2 months with very little loss of texture or flavor. With humidity control, that goes up to as much as 9 months. One of my experimental disease resistant lines is from a cross with Piennolo. "alc" has to be paired with genes for thicker skin to get the most benefit as thick skin reduces moisture loss.

Best alc varieties are mostly from Spain, you should search there for the traits you are looking for, as there's huge diversity among them. Most have thick skin, as Spanish ones are mostly used rubbed on bread, as opposed to cooked.

My estimate for Spain, is around 1000 reamining alc varieties left.

Good varieties should be perfect for fresh eating (salad) for about 4-5 months.
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2021   #9
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Ilex, do you by chance have access to Cuarentena? I'd like to get seed if possible.

Thanks
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2021   #10
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

NAR is always very healthy in my garden. A great tomato!
Old February 21, 2021   #11
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
How do you find them for firmness after picked ??.. Some of my Reds are good taste but go soft readilly after picked ..
The flavor is too good for a NAR to sit around and get soft, here.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote