Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 25, 2018   #1
snagged
Tomatovillian™

Default Chris Ukrainian

Looking for feedback on Chris Ukrainian. I live in GA (Atlanta area). I have some seeds, but the reviews seem mixed. I have limited garden space (only 5-6 plants). Debating trying it this year or doubling down on my others (e.g. Kellogg's Breakfast, Marianna's Peace, SOTW, Brandywine). Thanks!
snagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2018   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by snagged View Post
Looking for feedback on Chris Ukrainian. I live in GA (Atlanta area). I have some seeds, but the reviews seem mixed. I have limited garden space (only 5-6 plants). Debating trying it this year or doubling down on my others (e.g. Kellogg's Breakfast, Marianna's Peace, SOTW, Brandywine). Thanks!
I can only give you my own opinion who has no doubt grown it many times,for former SSE listing and seed offers.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Chris_Ukrainian

You'll note in the above link who Chris was and I can tell you that it's an amusing story.The ladies room where I was then teaching had an overflowing toilet,I called the maintenance Dept and Chris showed up. He needed some parts,used my phone in my office to call for them, and waited for them to call back and confirm that someone would be bringing them.

So we had a chance to talk and I learned much more about him.

I also included it in my Heirloom Tomatbook and I had to chose the 100 best varieties I'd grown at that time,which was over 1,000 and is now well over 4,000.

I've grown all the others you mention as well,but when you just say Brandywine, I don't know if you mean the red or the pink,of which there are many strains.

I've grown many varieties from the Ukraine and have positive comments for all of them.

Carolyn
Old January 31, 2018   #3
peebee
Tomatovillian™

You will probably get more feedback if you posted in the General Discussion section, as this right here is for new members to introduce themselves.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2018   #4
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

I am moving the thread to General.
Old October 17, 2019   #5
shule1

I started Chris Ukrainian tomato plants to grow, this spring, in my unheated Strong Camel 6'x5'x3' greenhouse, in seed cells in trays. I seeded them on 28 Mar 2019 and they sprouted on 8 Apr 2019, which was not the earliest to sprout, but earlier than most kinds.

The seedlings were among the most vigorous tomatoes, however. But, I gave away all the vigorous Chris Ukrainian plants for some odd reason and kept the least vigorous one. It turned out to be a cross, and had small to medium-sized, flattened, rounded, striped fruits (like Green Zebra's stripes) that were very sweet. Not super prolific. Very soft. They were midseason. I forgot the color, but it was probably pink or red. I liked the flavor, but otherwise wasn't terribly impressed; nevertheless, I saved seeds, as it was probably a hybrid and might be a lot different the next time I grow it.

Anyway, I plan to try again from the original seed packet next year, and grow a vigorous one (I imagine those will be true-to-type; the one I did transplant was considerably different from the rest).

My seed source was Sand Hill Preservation Center (packed for 2017; it was a free gift in 2018).

Edit: I pulled up the plant of the striped cross, today, and it had quite a few fruit on it. With a longer season, it could have been fairly prolific.

Last edited by shule1; October 18, 2019 at 07:50 PM.