Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old September 10, 2012   #16
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Definitely. Will have to go make some for myself.....brb.....

lol

Zana

~ wobbling after sampling / taste testing to determine which is a good vodka
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2012   #17
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

If you enjoy doing it, making hot sauces and/or pepper flakes/powders as gifts is a fun way to use up a LOT of peppers.

I have friends who hoard their bottles of sauce trying to stretch them out from season to season.

If you want to make hot sauce, I have a recipe that makes about a gallon of a nice medium intensity sauce out of lemon drops with some added fruit flavors and some added body to the sauce from crushed pineapple and orange juice. It's the same basic recipe I used for Yelping Yellow, just with the much less intense peppers.

Last edited by Boutique Tomatoes; September 10, 2012 at 01:17 PM.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2012   #18
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktutt View Post
If you enjoy doing it, making hot sauces and/or pepper flakes/powders as gifts is a fun way to use up a LOT of peppers.

I have friends who hoard their bottles of sauce trying to stretch them out from season to season.
Yeah, I hear ya. I've got people already hinting that they want more for Christmas. Unfortunately I didn't have the crop of hot peppers I had last year, so short of buying lots to make the same sauce, I will be making very little quantity. But think I made about 5 dozen or more 6 ounce bottles. Gave about 20 away as Xmas gifts....maybe more. And have gone through most of the rest myself or have given a few away...or even sold a few since. Told those who got them for Xmas if they return the bottles they may be able to get refills. Saves me the cost of purchasing more bottles & lids.

I also made up about a dozen 2 oz jars of powders - varying heats, different blends. Still trying to decide which I prefer....for what uses. Gotta say the powder is wicked in Bloody Caesar's/Mary's or on baked potatoes.
Old September 10, 2012   #19
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I went through 6 cases of woozy bottles last year. and did a couple of cases of the 12oz sauce bottles for my heavy users. (WB Bottle in Milwaukee is near one of my regular customers, so I can do a walk in order there and save on shipping.)

Unfortunately I spent too much time on my tomatoes this year and neglected my pepper plants and my harvest is showing it. There are going to be some sad faces out there as our Halloween party is usually also a new hot sauce tasting party. Fortunately I still have lots of dried peppers from last year so I may make some small jars of "Beelzebub's Seasoning Blend" to help them make it through the year.
Old September 10, 2012   #20
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Did someone say "party"? I'm there Mark lol....

I definately need to invest in a better dehydrator. Mine is an old one (geez, I think I've had it 20 years!) and when I cut my tomatoes thicker, they mold before they dry so I've been using the oven. I will say the oven did dry the lemon drops very nicely whole!
Old September 10, 2012   #21
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktutt View Post
Yes, I went through 6 cases of woozy bottles last year. and did a couple of cases of the 12oz sauce bottles for my heavy users. (WB Bottle in Milwaukee is near one of my regular customers, so I can do a walk in order there and save on shipping.)

Unfortunately I spent too much time on my tomatoes this year and neglected my pepper plants and my harvest is showing it. There are going to be some sad faces out there as our Halloween party is usually also a new hot sauce tasting party. Fortunately I still have lots of dried peppers from last year so I may make some small jars of "Beelzebub's Seasoning Blend" to help them make it through the year.
Love your name for your seasoning blend! I love your idea of a tasting party. And Halloween is definitely a great time....lol. Liquor them up and then let them taste? Hmmmmm....that could be scary. heeheehee...here, sign this waiver before you taste anything. LOL

Now that I have a larger space in which to grow my stuff - for next year, as I just moved in the past few weeks, I'll be able to increase the number of peppers I plan to grow, as well as maters. In the mean time I have to get the yard ready so I'm good to go in the spring.
Old September 10, 2012   #22
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

At the risk of derailing the thread, ours is the party house! Here is a shot of me at the party last year, dressed as Dionysus.

And to get back to the general subject, here's the waiver boilerplate...

I, ____________________________________, hereby agree that in exchange for the use of any of the extreme hot sauces and other hot peppers products offered, certain conditions and promises are required. They are as follows:

1. Due to the extremely hot nature of these products (between 300,000 and 1,500,000 Scoville units), I agree that these hot sauces and/or hot pepper products shall be used responsibly and I understand these hot sauces and/or hot pepper products should be kept away from children, pets and those with heart and or respiratory problems and those adverse to hot and spicy foods. These products can cause serious injury if directly consumed, ingested and/or applied to the skin, eyes or any other bodily organs.

2. These hot sauces and/or hot pepper products are to be used at my own risk, and I fully understand the potential danger if handled improperly.

3. If I give these products as a gift, I will make the recipient fully aware of the potential danger if handled improperly, or directly consumed.

4. I hereby disclaim, release and relinquish any and all claims, actions and/or lawsuits that I, or any of my Dependants, Heirs or Family members may have relating to any damage and/or injury that results, or is alleged to have resulted, from the use, consumption, ingestion, and/or contact of any bodily part or organ of or from these extreme hot sauces and/or hot pepper products.

5. I am not inebriated, and am fully able to make a sound decision about the use of these products.

AGREED AND ACCEPTED
__________________________________________________ ________
Neatly Print & Sign your name
__________________________________________________ ________
Today’s date
Old September 10, 2012   #23
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

LOL that is too funny! Disclaimer and all, what a way to go! Great pic!
Old September 10, 2012   #24
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Great disclaimer! May I borrow it?

Zana
Old September 10, 2012   #25
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Certainly you can use it, although you should consult with your attorney first...

Last edited by Boutique Tomatoes; September 10, 2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Tapatalk's smiley didn't work...
Old September 10, 2012   #26
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
LOL that is too funny! Disclaimer and all, what a way to go! Great pic!
The toga was much more comfortable than my crushed velvet pimp costume from previous years. Those leapord print platform shoes were murder to walk in; I developed a whole new appreciation for what women go through after wearing them.
Old September 10, 2012   #27
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I remember the days when men regularly wore platform shoes, oh my goodness I'm getting old. I was probably about 10 and even I thought they were weird. Its fun to see photos (especially prom pics) of folks during that time with the hair, clothes and shoes!

When I was pregnant I had to use a NUN costume. lol it was the only thing I could find that would fit me!
Old September 10, 2012   #28
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

I am disappointed that no one mentioned jalapeno poppers. We LOVE them and can't
wait for the new crop. Also, habaneros is a must for a good salsa. Go light on it till you
get used to it and then fire it up I have been looking for a BIG stuffing pepper and just got seeds for Chinese Giant which is supposedly about 6X6". Time will tell.
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2012   #29
carpenterlady
Tomatovillian™

Here is a recipe for Lemon Drop Jelly. I found it last year, but I have not had a chance to try it. My hot pepper jelly recipe is a combination of a recipe in the Ball Blue Book and Small Batch Preserving by Ellie Topp. I hope to try this recipe this year. http://www.bvdrangs.com/recipes/LemonDrop.html
carpenterlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2012   #30
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Nice disclaimer. I like your thought process.

When everyone here discusses it with their licensed attorney, which I'm sure will happen, you can ask your attorney about putting in a location for the creation of the contract and specifying which state's laws shall apply to any dispute. That would, in theory, prevent you from being summoned into court a thousand miles away by a visitor who was trying the sauce and sued you in their home state. Or at least if that did happen, it would be a simple matter to get the venue changed to your home town, which is the point of putting that in the agreement. Travel is expensive.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote