Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old September 4, 2015   #61
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
Do you have two plants in a single 5 gallon bucket?
Yes, and they are doing wonderfully. I've harvested a ton of peppers and they are still setting fruit like mad now into early September.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2015   #62
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

Finally getting a few ripe orange peppers. Still have loads on the plant but the weather is quickly turning cold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-27-15 004-2.jpg (535.1 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg 9-27-15 006-2.jpg (461.3 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg 9-27-15 017-2.jpg (508.8 KB, 188 views)
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2015   #63
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Looks great, and prolific!
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2015   #64
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

We now have Aji Amarillo Grande available.

Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2015   #65
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
We now have Aji Amarillo Grande available.

Fred, How big are they? Your website won't show correctly on my iPhone and the entire right half of the description is blocked by a green screen.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2015   #66
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Amarillo Grande fruits are about 6" long
Old October 5, 2015   #67
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Description:

Aji Amarillo Great is central to Peruvian cuisine and is Prized by chefs. It has a bright, tropical fruitiness mixed in with the medium heat of the chili. An exceptional pepper for making sauces and soups. Also great for seasoning. Removing the seeds Significantly mutes the heat of the pepper, and Allows for the use of more pepper for more flavor.

North American supplies of fresh Aji Amarillo Grande are quite limited and most chefs have to make due with imported pastes or powders. - Unless they are lucky enough to have Their own pepper plant growing in their private restaurant garden.

We are releasing this exceptional strain for the first time in 2015, and we will be growing it on our farm from here on forward. Seed is limited this first year, as our entire field population was grown from the seed from a single pepper given to us in 2014 by a friend in Los Angeles.

20 seeds per packet

Last edited by Fred Hempel; October 7, 2015 at 10:25 AM.
Old October 6, 2015   #68
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Fred! I was able to view the whole page on the iPad this morning, and I just placed my order! I loved the baby ones from the seeds you offered last year, but larger ones would make it easier for cooking with.
Old October 6, 2015   #69
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

They are much easier to cook with!

We have been de-seeding, and then freezing the flesh (for use in a couple weeks when we can get to it). The larger peppers are much easier to work with when cooking.

I haven't decided yet what to do with the saved peppers. I will definitely low-heat oven roast some, and turn them into flake. But I am also considering a straight dehydration and also making the pastes that you can find recipes for online.
Old October 6, 2015   #70
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I found the recipes for the pastes on line as well and really wanted to try it, but just didn't have the time to deal with all the small peppers that would have been needed just for one batch.

I did end up dehydrating quite a few and will probably grind them at some point. I've been debating whether or not to mince the rest (which are still fresh) in a food processor and making a hot sauce from them. Last year I made hot sauce with Aji Limon and it is very tasty.
Old October 7, 2015   #71
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The ones I can get canned at the store are huge, I made chili rellenos with them.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2015   #72
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I usually oven roast the small ones, with the stem end cut off. But I am dehydrating some of the large ones, and making paste out of the rest.

Most of my large ones, however, are going to Los Angeles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I found the recipes for the pastes on line as well and really wanted to try it, but just didn't have the time to deal with all the small peppers that would have been needed just for one batch.

I did end up dehydrating quite a few and will probably grind them at some point. I've been debating whether or not to mince the rest (which are still fresh) in a food processor and making a hot sauce from them. Last year I made hot sauce with Aji Limon and it is very tasty.
Old October 18, 2015   #73
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

My AJi Amarillo Grande seeds arrived the other day and are safely tucked away!

And today I finished the hot sauce I made with this year's harvest of baby ones. The flavor really shines through--citrusy and rich. And while there is some heat, it's very mellow and comes in after the punch of flavor.. I did leave it sitting for a few extra days before the final puréeing and straining, so not sure what that may have done to the product, but I'm loving it! Thanks again for the seeds!

Old October 18, 2015   #74
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

You're welcome.

That hot sauce looks great!
Old October 22, 2015   #75
macmex
Tomatovillian™

Ají Yellow #2 is doing great in my garden. I believe this is my third season with it as my favorite. The plants get about 4' across and are LOADED. I don't know how this compares to the other Ají varieties in terms of flavor. My understanding that it is not as hot as an habanero. But I can't tell. Seems pretty hot to me. I've been chopping up half a fresh pepper to cook in a three egg cheese omelet. It's fabulous!

George
Tahlequah, OK
macmex is offline   Reply With Quote