Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 21, 2017   #31
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad.kelpie View Post
I got some Green Zebra Cherry and Cherokee Lime seeds from Marsha this year (Thanks!). The Cherokee Lime were very fast growing, I just planted them in my garden at 6 weeks old and they're as big as my biggest 8 week old plants and already have tiny little flower buds.

I also got a Green Zebra plant last year, but it got crowded out (it was a late-season afterthought), and I only got 2 tomatoes. I didn't get a chance to try them because my sister's dog ate them both (at separate times, but no other tomatoes), I managed to save some seeds from the second one, so I'm trying them again.

Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2017   #32
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

I'm trying out Summertime Green (Dwarf Project) this year... It will be my first GWR, ever. Fingers crossed!
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2017   #33
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I liked Summertime Green, good balanced flavor.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2017   #34
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Really enjoyed Green Giant and Green Doctors Frosted last year. I was going to grow dwarf Emerald Giant and Summertime Green this year, but Summertime Green was 1 of 2 varieties that failed to germinate and I used all my seed--in 2 sowings. First time I had a variety fail to germinate much less two. At least I've got Emerald Giant.

Last edited by jmsieglaff; April 21, 2017 at 10:49 PM.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2017   #35
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Really enjoyed Green Giant and Green Doctors Frosted last year. I was going to grow dwarf Emerald Giant and Summertime Green this year, but Summertime Green was 1 of 2 varieties that failed to germinate and I used all my seed--in 2 sowings. First time I had a variety fail to germinate much less two. At least I've got Emerald Giant.
That's too bad. I'm planning to save Summertime Green seed this summer, per Tormato's index card of suggestions for the 2017 MMMM, and to have some to share with interested folks like yourself. Hopefully you'll have room for it next year!

Cole Robbie, thanks for the review; I'm looking forward to trying it. Having never grown or even eaten a GWR tomato, I have no idea what I'm missing! (I also have no idea how to quote more than one Tomatovillian in a reply...)
Old April 22, 2017   #36
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I have yet to run across anyone that liked green zebra.
It is too bad because the only green I see at the nurseries are green zebra.
This would ruin people from trying other green when ripe tomatoes.
I think the biggest problem is people dont know when to pick them.
The many types I grew some time ago were on the vine rotten when I got home, everything else was picked.
The other problem is people are used to rock hard store tomatoes.
This would complicate things even more for the first time green tomato grower.

I have given whole green when ripe tomatoes to people to try and they sit there and look at it like it was a pulsating heart on their plate.
Others would suck it down like there was no tomorrow.

Worth
Last year was my 1st time growing GWR & knowing when to pick them was my trouble. For the most part I think I left them growing too long. Soft...
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2017   #37
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

About my post #26,I never came back, but I did have a good story about both Green Zebra and how and why it ended up in my tomato book and and info about Alice Waters,the famous chef in CA, which I didn't put in my book, as well as my love of Green Zebra cherry, which is not related to Green Zebra and how it came about.

Carolyn
Old April 23, 2017   #38
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
About my post #26,I never came back, but I did have a good story about both Green Zebra and how and why it ended up in my tomato book and and info about Alice Waters,the famous chef in CA, which I didn't put in my book, as well as my love of Green Zebra cherry, which is not related to Green Zebra and how it came about.

Carolyn
Carolyn, if ever you have time for the story (or if it's posted somewhere), I'd love to hear it. A friend remembers growing Green Zebra at her old home, and loving it. I have Green Zebra seeds, but didn't grow any this year. I'm thinking about adding it to my 2018 list, which will focus on my favorites, and the favorites of my friends and family. (This year I've planned another "specimen garden" with just a plant or two of about 30 varieties, including some dwarfs.)
Old April 23, 2017   #39
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I'm kinda glad to hear that Green Zebra Cherry is not related to Green Zebra, as I was hoping the cherry would be more sweet than tart.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #40
GaryStPaul
Tomatovillian™

A big thumbs-up for Grub's Mystery Green. Best of GWR in my garden.
Gary
GaryStPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #41
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Even though Summertime Green has my name attached to it on some sites, after helping with that part of the Project, I recused myself from any more GWR grow-outs. How could I send seeds to the rest of the group if I couldn't say they came from a good tasting tomato? Summertime Green was OK.
Old April 24, 2017   #42
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Beryl Beauty this year. I loved Cherokee Green and Lime Green Salad. The spicy taste was to my liking.

MikeInCypress
Old April 25, 2017   #43
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I have liked all the ones I tried so far. I have done Summertime green, Grandpa Gary's Green from the dwarf project and then a few others... I also did dr Carolyn's frosted green cherry..... but the hard thing is to catch them when they are ripe not overripe (because I either didn't know or forgot where a gwr was planted because I lost a tag or it got buried)
Old April 25, 2017   #44
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Green Giant and Dwarf jade Beauty, and loved them both - especially Jade Beauty because of its spicier sweet flavor. Green Giant was very productive in my greenhouse. I'm growing Malakhitovaya Shkatulka (Malachite Box) for the first time this year.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2017   #45
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Another vote for Green Giant! It was exactly that last year for me and she's back again this year. A lot of LARGE fruit, great tasting, and overall healthy! To me, had a tartness that I never found in a tomato. That one along with Dwarf Jade Beauty! Although DJB wasn't as productive or even close, still a great tasting one.

Another is a mystery Green I've been growing for around 6-7 years. Was supposed to be something else but produced a beautiful, Amber skinned, bright green center fruit that was probably the best green I've tasted. Potato leaf as well. she's had some disease the last couple years and I'm almost out of seed!! lol
watching her closely this year.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote