Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old June 12, 2007   #1
harleysilo
Tomatovillian™

Default How do I know when they are ripe?!?

So I've got some cayenne pepper plants loaded with peppers. Over the weeks I've piked some small green ones here and there and nibbled on them. To me they are hot. Make me cough and my mouth water and nose run. Anyways, I thought they were ripe when they turn red. One did which I picked however the skin was tough, not like say a bell pepper when ripe. How do I know when is the proper time to pick?

Same with the Cowhorn, bonnies web site says ready when red, but they taste good when big and green and they are really hot.

Same with Jalapeños, I thought they were supposed to turn red too, but they are great at 3.5" long but still green.

Is it personal preference, or will they be "better" if I wait a little longer?
harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2007   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Jalapeños turn red or purple. Mine are turning red right now.

A good sign is if you see any corking on the fruit. That means it's reached its full size and is now starting to ripen (which might still take 2-3 weeks).

Corking

I think Cayenne peppers are still firm even when ripe, but I have not grown them. Ripe in the case of peppers doesn't mean soft -- it means a more robust flavor with less stomach-burning bitterness.

I don't really like any peppers when they are green.

Last edited by feldon30; June 13, 2007 at 11:05 AM.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2007   #3
harleysilo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
Ripe in the case of peppers doesn't mean soft -- it means a more robust flavor with less stomach-burning bitterness.
Good to know, the pic of the jalapeño explains it alot. Mine look like this...

o.k. pic isn't great but it's really smooth and green, with no stretch marks.

Old June 12, 2007   #4
hunter
Tomatovillian™

Hot peppers like jalapeños take on a deeper flavor when allowed to fully ripen. At least that is my history with peppers. I haven't noticed much a difference between levels of heat, though.

Personally, I usually cut the first jalapeños of the year when they show corking just because I have no patience or self-control. Subsequent peppers are allowed to ripen completely. Or as near to ripe as I can stand!

It's somewhat similar with bell peppers. The green peppers may not necessarily be any sweeter than their red counterparts, but when left to ripen to the red stage, bell peppers mellow and lose than "green" flavor that upsets many people's stomaches.
hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2007   #5
harleysilo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter View Post
The green peppers may not necessarily be any sweeter than their red counterparts, but when left to ripen to the red stage, bell peppers mellow and lose than "green" flavor that upsets many people's stomaches.
Are you saying that Green Bell Peppers are not quite ripe Red Bell Peppers? Cause I've got green, yellow, purple and red planted.

Does the texture of the wall of the pepper change with ripeness, or is it more about them losing the "green" flavor?
Old June 12, 2007   #6
hunter
Tomatovillian™

Similar to jalapeños, green bell peppers would generally ripen to red if not picked and shipped at their stage of maturity. That said, many pepper varieties have been bred for a specific ripe color.
hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2007   #7
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I've seen the "stretch marks" called corking more often than russetting so I will start calling it corking.

I'll take a picture of my ripe jalapeños here in a few.
Old June 12, 2007   #8
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

harleysilo, as far as I know red bells are nothing more than ripe greens

My jalapenos this year are going to be a light yellow color. Had them out in AZ a few years back when they were being developed. Nice.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2007   #9
Warren
Tomatovillian™

how can I tell when my sweet banana pepper plant is ripe?
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2007   #10
harleysilo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
how can I tell when my sweet banana pepper plant is ripe?
I need to know too, I've got one that's 8" long, nice yellow color, but don't know.....
Old June 13, 2007   #11
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Oooh! Oooh! Pick me! Pick me!

I figured Sweet Banana would be, you know, YELLOW. Boy was I wrong!

Although they can be picked unripe, the smaller row of peppers in the middle of the picture show the different stages of ripeness for Sweet Banana pepper. They can be picked pale yellow, deep yellow, orange, or red:

Carmen Peppers (bottom) and Sweet Banana (left center)
Old June 13, 2007   #12
harleysilo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
Wow I'm Jealous! Looks like my banana's got a little while longer to go!
Old June 13, 2007   #13
organichris
Tomatovillian™

My personal preference is to eat all peppers fully ripe. However, as you have learned the cayennes can get a bit tough-skinned. But jalapenos, serranos, and other chilis are best when red (or whatever color they turn). They develop a bit of a sweetness to them, and the texture softens somewhat. I grew some chilis a few years ago that were fairly hot, but when they turned red they were juicy, hot, and sooo sweet, you guys!
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2007   #14
harleysilo
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I have another cayenne almost fully red, it feels like an old leather ball glove. I guess they are intended to be cooked vs. eaten raw?
Old June 14, 2007   #15
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Most Jalapenos are picked at ripe green stage...My purple jalapenos lose almost all flavor and heat when allowed to turn red....
Certain peppers will turn red/yellow after picking...Golden Treasure gets a bit more color on the shelf.
Most peppers that feel heavy for there size are basically ripe. If your peppers are leathery they sound like they are already beginning to dry theirselves...Many varieties are better suited to drying, and if you prefer to eat them fresh, you should pick them before they get to that stage. There is also a variety of bell called Permagreen that remains green when ripe...
The Anaheim type peppers are ripe and flavorful when green or just striped with a bit of red...I had never seen red Anaheim peppers until the Aussies posted pictures...The huge crops shipped out of New Mexico are picked at ripe green...
In conclusion, if personal preference is to wait for red, that is fine, but many varieties taste fine or better at ripe green. I find picking them frequently keeps the plant producing, and once it is drying the fruit up on the branches it is winding down.
Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote