Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old October 6, 2007   #1
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Default Trinidad Perfume vs. Trinidad Seasoning

I've grown Trinidad Perfume before, and am growing it again this year. First time with Trinidad Seasoning.

I'm not really seeing or tasting any discernible differences between these two. Are they the same variety?

Thanks.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2007   #2
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I have grown both of them. Trinidad Perfume is yellow and has more pungent aroma than Trinidad Seasoning, which is red.

Trinidad Perfume

Trinidad Seasoning

Here is better look at the pods.
Top two from left are Trinidad Seasonings, lower left is Trinidad Perfume (other ones are Red Savina and Rocotillo)
svalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2007   #3
Earl
Tomatovillian™

I've been growing Trinidad Perfume for a few years now, and I like it, but I like Datil Sweet [red] even more as to me it has more aroma and stronger taste, but no heat. I also like Aji Dulce II [red] which has a smidgen of heat.
Old October 7, 2007   #4
Suze
Tomatovillian™

svalli, thanks for the further clarification on Trinidad Seasoning.

A couple of things going on for me. First, I dumped one of my pepper flats while they were hardening off and lost markers for about 5-8 plants. Adding to the confusion is that Trinidad Seasoning was an SSE request and the description I have for it is "small bushy plants to 18" tall, pendant, folded looking fruit w/fruity taste, hot, green>yellow, excellent container plant".

Also thanks to Earl for the other recommendations, I think the seasoning types are nice.
Old October 8, 2007   #5
johno
Tomatovillian™

I've been trying for three years to germinate Trinidad seasoning... So I'm going to buy some Trinidad Perfume this coming year and see if I have better luck.
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2007   #6
flipt
Tomatovillian™

Hi Suze - I'd be interested in hearing how you like the T. Seasoning. I've been growing the Perfumes and like them fine. Also, I've recently germinated and potted up a handful of the Aji Dulce which are very popular in Miami where they are used often in sofrito.
Flip
flipt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2007   #7
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

Heh... I saw flipt's username and for a split second I thought it was my own post.
FlipTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2007   #8
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipt View Post
Hi Suze - I'd be interested in hearing how you like the T. Seasoning. I've been growing the Perfumes and like them fine. Also, I've recently germinated and potted up a handful of the Aji Dulce which are very popular in Miami where they are used often in sofrito.
Hi, Flip -- can't really answer your question about T. Seasoning, as I think I have an off-type/cross/incorrect id. What I am growing seems to be identical in all respects (taste and appearance) to Trinidad Perfume.

Maybe svalli, or someone that has grown the real deal can comment more on the differences between the two.
Old October 19, 2007   #9
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze View Post
Maybe svalli, or someone that has grown the real deal can comment more on the differences between the two.
Seasoning peppers, which I have grown are Trinidad Perfume, Trinidad Seasoning, Aji Dulce #2, Sweet Datil, St. Lucia Yellow Seasoning, Aji Cachuca and Puerto Rican No Burn.

Aji Dulce #2, Sweet Datil and Trinidad Seasoning are quite much similar in shape, size and color. In my opinion the Trinidad Seasoning had the best flavor of those three.
Old November 7, 2007   #10
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

I'll be trying Trinidad Seasoning this year as well. I loved Trinidad Perfume. I have seed from TGS, and the bushes have a growth habit like a Habanero-huge! I had so many fruit that I started drying them to grind and use in my recipes. When dried and ground, they develop a nice pungency-almost smoky flavored.
bigbubbacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2007   #11
johno
Tomatovillian™

OTD - hahahaha

There seems to be a lot of that going around.
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2007   #12
Dave_Z6
CHOPTAG™

I've grown all three of the peppers Earl mentioned and give them all a big "thumbs up" Excellent.
Dave_Z6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2011   #13
Eric91941
Tomatovillian™

I've been looking for St Lucia Yellow Seasoning for the past year with no luck. It was my favorite yellow pepper (with Grenada Seasoning as a close second.) Anyone have a few seeds available?? All the seed plant suppliers I've found so far have been out of stock the past two years.
I've grown Trinidad Seasoning, Aji Dulce #1, Aji Dulce #2, Sweet Datil pepper. For a little more heat I go for Aji Panca and Aji Cito.
Eric91941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2011   #14
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric91941 View Post
I've been looking for St Lucia Yellow Seasoning for the past year with no luck. It was my favorite yellow pepper (with Grenada Seasoning as a close second.) Anyone have a few seeds available?? All the seed plant suppliers I've found so far have been out of stock the past two years.
I've grown Trinidad Seasoning, Aji Dulce #1, Aji Dulce #2, Sweet Datil pepper. For a little more heat I go for Aji Panca and Aji Cito.
I've been looking to no avail as well.

The story I got on the St. Lucia seasoning peppers (from chiliplants.com) was that the one wholesale source that the few sellers of these were getting seeds from had some problems with cross pollination a few years ago and hasn't offered them again since that.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2011   #15
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

I am growing both Trinidad seasoning and Trinidad perfume, thanks to svalli, since he so generously sent me the seeds last year. I did not have great germination on some of the other seeds he sent, but I think that was my own fault, not the seeds. Will report back when I get some fruits!
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote