Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old October 17, 2015   #1
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Default How late can I plant garlic in zone 4b?

Can I plant some garlic this late? Or should I pot up what I have and store it over winter? Just put it in the fridge and THEN pot it up?
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2015   #2
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Get garlic in the ground as soon as possible... I expect better results in the ground than in a pot, or spring planted. My garlic in 4b is already 6" tall. Those are bulbs that didn't get dug this summer.

I still haven't planted my dried garlic... I'm just getting the fields cleaned up now and ready to plant. Any time now before the ground freezes is a great time.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2015   #3
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Soil temp should be in the 50 degree range to avoid too much top growth. I've know people that were out in the snow planting with very good results.

Like Joseph said anytime now. Garlic is very forgiving.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2015   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Still time if you hurry. Mulch well
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2015   #5
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Like Joseph said anytime now. Garlic is very forgiving.
Yes, and frozen ground it not (speaking from experience . . . . ) Try to get it planted ASAP! Good luck!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2015   #6
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

I normally plant mine around this time and have even waited a week later and have had great results. I am going to get mine in the ground today or tomorrow since the weather will be a little warmer than it has the past few days.
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2015   #7
henry
Tomatovillian™

Expect your garlic should do fine planted at this time, I am zone 4a in southern B.C. Canada and have just finished planting.
Old October 18, 2015   #8
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Check your temps for peace of mind, everything I'm reading says 45-50 F is ideal for Fall planting. I usually plant the last week of October.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garlic temp.jpg (83.2 KB, 76 views)
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2015   #9
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Thank you! I will get it out asap!
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2015   #10
bower
Tomatovillian™

We just planted the garlic at the farm on Friday, and I'm scrambling to get mine in ASAP too. Built a new raised bed in the sunniest part of my yard.

I got a lot of nice big seed garlic left over from the farm planting so this time I may actually grow enough to eat next winter. When I get those in, I still have to make another bed for my rounds.
We have planted the farm garlic much later in past years, partly due to conflicting advice, that it should go in after the first hard frost. One year my friend was travelling in October-November and the other farmers didn't put it in, we ended up planting in early December. The following year though, there was so much bad garlic, she had to buy new seed. On better advice, a friend who grows great garlic every year puts it in mid october without regard for the weather, and has never had a problem.

Biggest bonus of all, it's so much nicer to plant garlic when it's not miserably cold out.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2015   #11
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
We just planted the garlic at the farm on Friday, and I'm scrambling to get mine in ASAP too. Built a new raised bed in the sunniest part of my yard.

I got a lot of nice big seed garlic left over from the farm planting so this time I may actually grow enough to eat next winter. When I get those in, I still have to make another bed for my rounds.
We have planted the farm garlic much later in past years, partly due to conflicting advice, that it should go in after the first hard frost. One year my friend was travelling in October-November and the other farmers didn't put it in, we ended up planting in early December. The following year though, there was so much bad garlic, she had to buy new seed. On better advice, a friend who grows great garlic every year puts it in mid october without regard for the weather, and has never had a problem.

Biggest bonus of all, it's so much nicer to plant garlic when it's not miserably cold out.
Yeah I too plant mine October 15th no matter what the weather and it does fine every year.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote