Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 24, 2017   #1
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Default Softneck garlic producing real scapes

Last Saturday I went to the field to remove scapes from the garlic. To my surprise I found that three artichoke varieties had produced scapes like hardnecks do. I have seen the bulbils in the middle of the stem earlier, but not real arching scape. Germidour and Arno had scapes in all of the plants and Messidrome had shorter scape in some. I like to use the scapes in many recipes, so getting more of them does not bother me.

Germidour was planted last fall and the others this spring. I suspect that this may have been caused by the dry and cold June. We have now got some rain, but it may be too late, since a lot of the leave tips are yellow, so the plants do not have enough green to produce large cloves. I would like to let these grow two to three weeks more before harvest, so I hope we do not get any monsoon rains in beginning of August.

Sari
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Germidour scape.jpg (460.3 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg Arno scape.jpg (370.6 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg Messidrome scape.jpg (428.9 KB, 161 views)