Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 6, 2018   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Onions for 2019

For years now, I have written a thread about growing onions. In this part and most of Texas, growing short day onions is the way to go, but I also realize that Texas is just one state. Many of you grow intermediate day and it seems like a lot more of you grow long day onions.

I was reading a site https://www.star-telegram.com/living...e57053723.html and found it interesting. By reading what I read at that site - it explains why it's so easy to grow onions here.

Normally I start onion seeds on October the 15th. There is a well known onion variety called Texas 1015Y. The name is pretty simple. You plant seeds on 10-15 (October 15th) and Y is yellow. It is easier planting out transplants here sold in bunches for less than $2 for 50 or so onion plants. For the most part, that's what I'm going to do.

However, I need to start some seeds for one variety that is an intermediate type. I'm well aware that daylight time is important - some shading may be necessary? But I think they may need more cold? I have grown intermediate day onions for many years with okay results - I personally like smaller onions because they fit recipes better.

Then I have some long day exhibition onions sent to me from the UK, I have never tried long day onions, and I let the person sending them to me know that. I have read some info that says we can grow them in Texas, but that might have meant 500 miles to our northwest? They say that Texas is big, but you can seriously drive for 12 hours at 70-85mph and stay in Texas. So looking up what to grow in Texas isn't that easy.

I'm going to start the intermediate day and long day onions this week. I'm going to treat them both differently than the short day onions that I'm used to growing. I have let the people who sent me seeds know that they may not do well here, but I'm determined to make them produce.

I have some ideas on how to grow the intermediate onions since I have grown a different variety for years, but I would really like to know your experiences. Outside weather conditions, indoor lighting and temperatures would be very helpful.

The same goes even more so for Long day onions. I really want to make it happen here in Texas - not just for me, but for my Tomatoville friend in the UK. Any and all information will be helpful.

For me, you all have made me wonder what it is like growing things where you all live. One friend makes me wonder what it is like growing tomatoes in Romania. I know that's not onions, but I need to understand the regions to make it happen here in Texas.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote