Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old December 12, 2013   #61
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Delerium,

If you don't mind sharing more of your "secrets" .....
When you graft without using the humidity chamber, what is your watering routine? When do you last water your rootstock prior to grafting - day before or more? - or do you just have it in your watering set-up from the get go? (I ask this assuming you're using the coarse ultrasorb (optisorb) and things might be different with regular seeding or potting soil). And when do you last water the scions prior to grafting. Have you used this technique for young, new (from seed) rootstock and scions? What about lighting conditions? Do you do anything to compensate for the lack of a humidity chamber - like misting or partially covering with a plastic baggie or something?

You may have mentioned all this before, but I don't recall seeing it all in one place.

In my next round of grafting, I'm going to do a test with the same two grafts - one in the chamber and without using the chamber.

Thanks!
Anne
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2013   #62
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Think of the graft union as a cutting. What makes a cutting successful? A source of water. If you know the recovery time of a graft you can automatically assume how long you would need to provide the scion with water. How you do that - well that's a secret lol!
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2013   #63
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the "clue" Delerium !

We're getting WARRRMMEERRR - step .... by .... step,..... sloooooooooly .... she approaches ......

I just did my interpretation of your clue and started a new - no chamber - graft using one of my few currently availiable small seedlings that I had just watered yesterday. Very small graft this time - 1.5mm clip. I have the container in another container half filled with water and just in room light (no artificial light or sunlight).

I'd just transplanted the rootstock seedling from its "group containter" to its individual cup a couple of days ago and not a lot of roots yet - so it's almost a no-root graft.

We shall see what "transpires." !
Anne
Old December 12, 2013   #64
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Your welcome! I want Tomato Seeds for Christmas!
Old December 12, 2013   #65
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
If you know the recovery time of a graft you can automatically assume how long you would need to provide the scion with water. How you do that - well that's a secret lol!
So.... when do you propose to let the cat out of the bag. Or do you intend to just keep us guessing. Are you trying to patent your ideas?
It's getting a bit tiresome!!!!!!
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2013   #66
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman View Post
So.... when do you propose to let the cat out of the bag. Or do you intend to just keep us guessing. Are you trying to patent your ideas?
It's getting a bit tiresome!!!!!!
No don't intend to patent my ideas but i don't feel i owe you my creative work either. Your remark comes out as if i owe you something. I figured this out on my own. No one helped me out so why should I make it easy for you. Just saying. Besides this is something someone can capitalize on and that is why i am not giving the how-to. You figure it out - you market it if you want then you can make money on it if you feel like its your own creation.
Old December 13, 2013   #67
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Think of the graft union as a cutting. What makes a cutting successful? A source of water. If you know the recovery time of a graft you can automatically assume how long you would need to provide the scion with water. How you do that - well that's a secret lol!
All Righty Then!

Getting back to the fun stuff....

From what I understand you to have made known of your method, Delerium,
it would appear to take 9 days of a graft union being exposed to water in order to heal and be successful. So the key is how you provide water to the graft union....I think.

Do you use plain water, or distilled water or anything special like that?

I enjoy and appreciate your posts.

Charley
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2013   #68
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
No don't intend to patent my ideas but i don't feel i owe you my creative work either. Your remark comes out as if i owe you something. I figured this out on my own. No one helped me out so why should I make it easy for you. Just saying. Besides this is something someone can capitalize on and that is why i am not giving the how-to. You figure it out - you market it if you want then you can make money on it if you feel like its your own creation.
I am not suggesting you 'owe me anything', but all I see is veiled reference to some sort of wonderful approach to grafting. Whether I have missed a post or not, I'm far from sure.
Why should you make it easy for me? Until I know what the HE double hockey sticks you are talking about you can't be accused of helping anyone!!!!!
As for making money, at my time of life I have more important things on my mind.
Perhaps I should just ignore any future posts, which will be a shame as you seem to have some good ideas, which are only useful if shared or publicized.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2013   #69
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
All Righty Then!

Getting back to the fun stuff....

From what I understand you to have made known of your method, Delerium,
it would appear to take 9 days of a graft union being exposed to water in order to heal and be successful. So the key is how you provide water to the graft union....I think.

Do you use plain water, or distilled water or anything special like that?

I enjoy and appreciate your posts.

Charley

Salsacharley - No nothing special. But yes provide the graft union water like you do a cutting. This will also avoid the problems that come with a high humidity chamber where to much humidity means you have to baby the plant all over again to get it accustomed to air flow. This basically skips that step. Which means quicker recovery. If you figured the above then there is also another major flaw with traditional grafting that you could avoid by doing this.. Sorry all clues have been expired!

I am done sharing my Hokus Pokus grafting. Happy Beeman!

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
Old December 30, 2013   #70
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. Took this picture this morning. Our First wave of Tomatoes coming in soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomatoes6.jpg (536.0 KB, 272 views)
Old December 31, 2013   #71
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Delerium,

Your tomatoes (and daughter ) look great! Congrats on surviving the cold spell a while back. I can't believe how nice it's been out here recently! It's been wonderful for outdoor projects (I've been converting my shade house into a greenhouse for early starts and cleaning out the old garden in general), but I'm afraid we may be looking at a pretty severe drought this summer!

Keep up the good work and Happy New Year!

Anne
Old December 31, 2013   #72
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Hey Anne! Turned out to be a Great year for tomatoes eh? I did not expect any of these plants to produce as i only wanted to get samples from them to graft. Marla from Heritage seeds suggested awhile back about planting more plants together - and I will probably do this again for Winter crops as its easier to take care of them. Lately, I've been obsessing & Learning about growing Mushrooms (Mycology has me all excited lol) - its pretty much taken over my life lol!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg happy_new_year.jpg (373.8 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg mushroom_update.jpg (196.7 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg oyster_mushroom_jar.jpg (178.3 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg vine_ripe.jpg (380.3 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg mycelium2.jpg (275.3 KB, 243 views)
Old December 31, 2013   #73
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Again Delerium,

That's really cool about the mushrooms/mycology!! I've been exploring doing that myself off and on for quite some time. I might pursue it once I get my tomato stuff under control ! I'd really like to grow chanterelles and morels and boletus or cepes........ YUM!

Anne
Old February 6, 2014   #74
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

My Grafted Tomatoes. Anne you may spot the stack graft in the front .

Attached Images
File Type: jpg grafted_tomatoes.jpg (94.3 KB, 476 views)

Last edited by Delerium; February 6, 2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old February 6, 2014   #75
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Delerium,

Nice to see you posting !
Good looking grafts (as usual) - are they no root or "regular" grafts? I couldn't quite make out the stacked graft. I've only done a few but have had good luck with them. I've got a really nice close-up photo of one to post once I work up the energy to figure out the new way of posting photos.

I'm tempted to do more of the stacked grafts, but I've got so many varieties going this year and just so much space in the garden.... What are you planning to do with all of your grafts?

Anne
From Merced where we're FINALLY getting a decent amount of rain !!