Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old January 29, 2016   #1
marc108
Tomatovillian™

Default Is this a giagantic sucker on my dwarf eureka lemon?

I bought this dwarf eureka lemon yesterday and when I got home I noticed that what I thought was eureka scion may actually be a giant sucker that was allowed to grow out of control? Is there any way to identify of one of those two growth is a sucker? Thanks!
marc108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2016   #2
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

If your lemon is a hybrid and a graft, look down by the bottom of the stem for the place where the graft was. The one without a graft is the sucker. Hope that helps.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2016   #3
marc108
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
If your lemon is a hybrid and a graft, look down by the bottom of the stem for the place where the graft was. The one without a graft is the sucker. Hope that helps.
If you look at the close up picture, it appears that both stems are growing directly from the graft... which is why I'm confused.
Old January 29, 2016   #4
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

It is super hard to tell where the graft is on citrus trees. I can't really tell from the picture. If both branches are coming from above the graft, even just right above it, they should both be eureka. The branches look to have the same kind of leaves as each other, and if one were a rootstock sucker, I would expect it to be different, more like a trifoliate orange leaf...hopefully others with more experience will chime in.
clkingtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2016   #5
marc108
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkingtx View Post
It is super hard to tell where the graft is on citrus trees. I can't really tell from the picture. If both branches are coming from above the graft, even just right above it, they should both be eureka. The branches look to have the same kind of leaves as each other, and if one were a rootstock sucker, I would expect it to be different, more like a trifoliate orange leaf...hopefully others with more experience will chime in.

There are what appear to 3 lines, I've marked them in the first attached picture.

What I'm thinking happened is that something like the 2nd picture I've attached was allow to grow to full length?

I noticed the same thing with the leaves being the same... which only adds to my confusion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sucker2marked.jpg (207.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg sucker.jpg (34.3 KB, 44 views)
Old January 29, 2016   #6
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

Well, you can see it there in person, I really can't. I do understand what you are saying though. I used to have some satsumas that I was wondering the same thing. I found out for sure when the top was frozen back, I think, and the rootstock started growing, then it was unmistakable. The leaves were vastly different than the scion's leaves had been. If I were you, and wasn't positive, I would wait for it to fruit, or watch closely for irregular growth(one branch growing WAY faster than the others), or leaves that are very different from the others. It could very well be that when the tree was grafted, the scion branched out immediately. That is kind of what it looks like, since the bottom line is visible, and isn't a collar to a branch, if you know what I mean. To have a line on the trunk/branch union is normal, I believe. If there is one that is not a union between the branch and trunk, it is likely the graft line.

Just my opinion, but hope it is what you expect it to be, I know citrus plants can be pretty pricey, and it would really stink to pay so much for something that isn't what you expect.

Carrie
clkingtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2016   #7
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I have dial-up and took me forever to load the pic and then like Carrie I couldn't see anything since it was so dark.

Now that I see the pic on here, I kinda have to agree with Carrie. I had been thinking the same thing. I think when somebody was doing the cuttings they may or may not have watched closely to what they was doing when wrapping and you have a scion that branched out immediately.

I agree. I would just let it grow and see what happens. Hope you get lots of fruit.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2016   #8
marc108
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkingtx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post

Thank you both. I contacted the grower and he said it doesn't look like a sucker, to let it fruit and see what it is... so that's what I'm going to do!