Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old June 19, 2020   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Another Flower Mystery

Yesterday I happened to notice that of the six Tithonia Mexican sunflowers I planted, one is definitely different. Five have a rather open habit with orange flowers. The sixth one (on the left) is pretty vertical and more dense with leaves that are a lot larger.

Some internet sleuthing turned up some help in identification. There are two genera of Tithonia. What is usually sold as Mexican Sunflower or Torch Flower is Tithonia rotundifolia that has orange flowers and can get 4-6’ tall.

However, Tithonia diversifolia has a woody stem, yellow flowers and can get 6-9’ tall! That might be what the sixth plant is:

What I found most interesting is that the diversifolia can be used as a green fertilizer either by mulching with it or burying it because it has the ability to make fertilizer in the soil. Used as a fertilizer, this Tithonia’s NPK is 1.76% N, 0.82% P and 3.92% K.

If those flower buds open to yellow flowers, the mystery might be solved.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2020   #2
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

David the Good swears by them for green manure chop and drop in his tropical environment.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2020   #3
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for that input, Tracy. If it's diversifolia I'm going to save the seed and see if I can grow a bed next spring just to have enough to play with the mulching/fertilizing aspect of it.
Old June 25, 2020   #4
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Flower Mystery Solved

The mystery Tithonia has bloomed and phooey...it's the same orange as the others, not yellow. And it's also starting to stretch and open up into a habit like the other ones, not so dense. It is taller than the rest but every family has one of those. It just looked so darned different. At least it was something exciting to watch even just for a little bit.

Old June 26, 2020   #5
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Hi GoDawgs. In my climate Tithonia is supposed to be a late season bloomer so I have a few months before I see flowers. I started a 6 pack from seed obtained from my local seed library. Mine is really tiny and hasn't grown since I planted it, but the remaining tiny plant in the 6 pack is growing strong. I think it is the torch variety. Were yours slow to take off when you planted them?

-Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2020   #6
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=greenthumbomaha;757546]Mine is really tiny and hasn't grown since I planted it, but the remaining tiny plant in the 6 pack is growing strong. I think it is the torch variety. Were yours slow to take off when you planted them? [QUOTE]

To be honest, I can't remember as I was growing a bunch of flowers and veggies all at the same time. Mine are torch, though. I think I'll save seed from that big 'un!