Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old April 25, 2019   #1
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Default New roof for HFGH

Already last summer the roof of my HFGH 10'x12' started to look quite ugly with all the holes on the outer layer and dirt getting into the channels. Last fall I finally ordered new twin-wall polycarbonate sheets. Since I did not trust the measurements on the assembly instruction and we needed also to fix my in-laws' old glass greenhouse roof, I got the 2100mm x 6000mm sheets. It was quite a hassle to move and cut the huge sheets into correct measurements, and store the pieces for my greenhouse over the winter, but we managed to do it.

The original panels are 4mm thick, but I wanted to get a bit stronger, so I ordered 6mm thick sheets. I had to squeeze some edges with pliers to get the thicker panels to fit in some places, but it should not cause any problems.

I hope these sheets last longer than the original ones which were there for 8 years. I used polymer adhesive sealant to secure the panels to the frame in addition of the original springs. This time I did not put any screws through the panels, because I did not want to puncture them.

New vent openers are still needed and then the greenhouse is ready for new season.

Sari
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old roof 1.jpg (336.6 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg old roof 2.jpg (346.7 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg new roof.jpg (380.2 KB, 251 views)
Old April 25, 2019   #2
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Looks great! Nice work!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2019   #3
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Well, it looks great to me. I think the polycarbonate is approx a 10 year life before it starts to get to the point it needs changed. fyi.
Old April 25, 2019   #4
bower
Tomatovillian™

Very nice!

I have a couple of pieces of this channel polycarbonate which we have only used for temporary structure/windbreak wall and it is still intact after the occasional use - I had no idea the lifespan is only ten years. I've always liked the look of it because of the insulating effect of the channel and also how light it is to handle, compared to the lexan which we used for my original greenhouse (the beams broke under an extreme snow load and had to be rebuilt). We chose that instead of the channel to try and make it as durable as possible, but iirc the channel at that time was more costly to buy here as well. One of the greenhouse walls is still the original construction and the lexan is as good as new after 25 years - but the panels that took snowload didn't fare as well - small cracks do lead to bigger breaks unfortunately.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2019   #5
svalli
Tomatovillian™

The new polycarbonate has 10 years warranty, but I have not read what it covers. The original had been up for six years when it started to get holes during hail storm. Walls are still OK.
One of the roof panels came off during a storm and I had to reattach that. It does not have any holes, so I may have installed other side up than the others. I wonder, if it is in better shape than the others, because same side has not been exposed to the sun whole time or maybe I installed all of them wrong side up originally.

This time I made markings to all panels about which side should go up, so that I know it, if they come loose or have to be remounted.

Sari
Old April 26, 2019   #6
MdTNGrdner

Your greenhouse looks wonderful, Sari; great job wrestling those panels!

I don't understand greenhouse construction, and am wondering why two of those panels have cross seams. Is it just how you had to cut it, or do they raise there for venting?
Old April 26, 2019   #7
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdTNGrdner View Post
I don't understand greenhouse construction, and am wondering why two of those panels have cross seams. Is it just how you had to cut it, or do they raise there for venting?
The upper parts are the vents, which can be opened. There are automatic vent openers, which operate based on temperature. Mine did not operate anymore, so I need to get new ones. This greenhouse is so tall, that opening the vents manually is difficult.

Sari
Old April 26, 2019   #8
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

It looks just like new, Sari! You have gotten some good years out of that well traveled HFGH! I'm happy for the successful remodel! Have a good growing season.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2019   #9
MdTNGrdner

Quote:
Originally Posted by svalli View Post
The upper parts are the vents, which can be opened. There are automatic vent openers, which operate based on temperature. Mine did not operate anymore, so I need to get new ones. This greenhouse is so tall, that opening the vents manually is difficult.

Sari
Automatic vent openers, yes!

Someday I'd like one about your size or maybe 10'x16'. Right now the covered patio pulls double duty! Are you happy with the 10' x 12' size?
Old April 27, 2019   #10
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdTNGrdner View Post
Someday I'd like one about your size or maybe 10'x16'. Right now the covered patio pulls double duty! Are you happy with the 10' x 12' size?
Bee, If you are getting a greenhouse, get as big as possible. I love the height of the 10'x12', but there could be more floor space. If I would get a new one, I would build one with lower part of the walls made out of brick or concrete blocks.

Sari
Old May 17, 2019   #11
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I found new vent openers to replace the ones I purchased many years ago from Harbour Freight. The new ones are made in Denmark and the cylinders are easy to remove and replace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190517_094319.jpg (672.2 KB, 156 views)
Old November 14, 2019   #12
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Sari, you have Harbor Freight in Finland??!
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2019   #13
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

No, it apparently came along in a move (if I remember correctly)!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2019   #14
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Sari, do you store your greenhouse over the winter? Is it too cold to grow inside your greenhouse over winter? What months do you use your greenhouse?

It looks excellent!
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2019   #15
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I purchased the greenhouse from HF in Milwaukee just before moving from Wisconsin to Finland in beginning of 2008. The kit was transported here unopened and sat in our garage for couple of years before building it.

I have reinforced the construction with added bracing and it has withstand heavy winds and snow loads on the roof. Heating this greenhouse during winter is not economical, so winter months it is used as storage shed for some gardening tools and flower pots. I start the season usually in April by setting up a smaller tent greenhouse inside there with a 400W electric heater. The smaller heated area is then used for hardening seedlings grown indoors under lights.
Tomatoes go into the self watering tubs in the greenhouse usually by mid May and season ends in end of September.

Right now it has some LED string lights hanging inside to bring light to our backyard in this dark and grey November with shortening days and no snow cover on the ground.

Sari