Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old May 28, 2020   #1
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Default Gumbo

• Gumbo

Adapted from Shotgun Red Recipe, R.I.P.

spread out 1 cup of all purpose flour in saucepan about 1" thick, bake at 425° for 40 minutes, flower will take on a cinnamon appearance

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo Recipe! (Perfect Roux Every Time!)
Take 1 cup of all purpose flour and put it in a oven safe pan and smooth it out to about 3/4 inch thick. Bake it in the oven at 425°F for 45 to 55 minutes long.

While roux is in the oven, cut 6 skinless, boneless, chicken thighs in half and sear brown in a pan with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder, do not cook all the way through, just get a good sear on them, set aside.

Next, brown the sausage, set aside

Once you get the color you like remove the flour (Roux) from the oven and take the dry Roux and put it in a medium bowl to cool. (Do not leave it in the hot pan)

In a dutch oven heat up 1 tbsp. Vegetable oil and on medium heat soften; (cook about 5 minutes) celery first, peppers second, and then onions, followed at the end with the garlic and any herbs,
  • 2 stalks of celery diced
  • 1 green bell pepper diced
  • 1 whole sweet onion diced
Then add
  • 1 tbsp. garlic (3 cloves)
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 tbsp. parsley
  • 1 tsp. sweet paprika
  • 1 tbsp. thyme
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. Cajun seasoning
Mix on medium heat for 1 minute then add 2 cups of chicken broth, add chicken Bring to a simmer for 20 minutes, remove chicken again to shred.

Roux;
Take the dark browned flour and whisk in 2 cups of room temperature chicken broth, mix very well then slowly add the roux to the gumbo

After 20 minutes, remove bay leaves and add;
  • Shredded Chicken
  • 6 scallions sliced
  • 1 cup of okra
  • 1 can of rotel or 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
Cook 20 minutes, serve on rice

I used a few of my Red Welsh Bunching Onions and an Egyptian Walking Onion, the Okra was frozen from last season.
I also omitted the vinegar and cayenne pepper and replaced with a can of Rotel.
Could not find Andouille so I used hot Sausage. Chicken Thigh prices were off the charts so I used chicken breasts.
I also doubled up the recipe.
Brown sausage then season chicken and brown the chicken in the same pan is a must!

Afterthoughts - If I made this again I would season the Roux a bit when mixing with the chicken broth.

SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2020   #2
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Looks yummy, beautiful pictures and explanation. Thank you.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote