Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 1, 2020   #1
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Default Kibits from Nikitovka

Last year hl2601 offerd seeds purchased from Nikitovka. One of the varieties was Kibits, which is described as:

Kibits- Ultra-early (68-75 days) Ukrainian heirloom for open ground. Determinate (bush) tomato, plant grows up to 100 cm (40 in.) height. Very delicious, meaty, dark red, sweet tomatoes, weight 60-80g (2-3 oz.). Resistant to late blight. Use fresh and for canning. Mid season red indet RL elongated plum/ great for container/heavy yield

I got Kibits from same vendor via a Finnish home grower in 2018 and both of us have gotten potato leafed plants from the seeds.

hl2601 has not yet grown those herself so I am asking, if any of you who got seeds from her, have grown them?

The attached picture shows what my Kibits look like now. If you have grown the seeds, how did the plants look like?

Sari
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200628_202329_3.jpg (164.9 KB, 104 views)
Old July 1, 2020   #2
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I've only seen it on youtube on some russian speaking channel, and they were definitely more elongated (thinner), don't remember the leaf type.
Also here looks different : https://www.tomat-pomidor.com/forums...1%D0%B8%D1%86/
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2020   #3
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
I've only seen it on youtube on some russian speaking channel, and they were definitely more elongated (thinner), don't remember the leaf type.
Also here looks different : https://www.tomat-pomidor.com/forums...1%D0%B8%D1%86/
I have been comparing a lot of pictures and what I have got with name Kibits is not really it. Only similar determinate potato leaf jointless plum which I have found on any site is Rio Grande, but I cannot be sure, if it is the same. I like this variety and maybe I have to label my seeds for it as "not-Kibits".

Sari
Old July 2, 2020   #4
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Boy Sari- that plant sure is loaded with fruit. Looks like a winner to me!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2020   #5
zendog
Tomatovillian™

hl2601 was kind enough to send me some seed last year, including Kibits. It was RL, not PL - a nice plant with good tasting tomatoes that I was hoping to make sauce from. Unfortunately, deer in my neighborhood have found my tomatoes the last few years and regularly eat all of the green ones and the low height of Kibits made them an easy snack so I didn't get to harvest as many as I had hoped. Good tomato, but I'll stick to the indeterminates that eventually get high enough when trained single stem that the deer walk by without looking up.

I'm not sure mine was as prolific as the plant you are growing, but they were pretty close. Mine also didn't have as conspicuous a point on the blossom end as the ones in the photos on the Russian site posted above and got closer to 3 feet than the 18-24 inches I've seen listed some places.
zendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2020   #6
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Thanks zendog, that is a proof that the seeds which I got are not Kibits. Maybe person who sent them has mixed them or maybe she got wrong seeds from Nikitovka.

Anyway I like the variety what I have and I will not call it Kibits anymore when growing them.

Sari
Old July 4, 2020   #7
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

It's been discussed a couple of times (iIrc) how there are different varieties with the name Kibits in circulation. Nikitovka obviously does not have the original...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote