Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 29, 2009   #1
RhianB
Tomatovillian™

Default Is my tomato plant ill?

First of all, this is my first post, so Hi everybody & nice to meet ya I am a tomato growing noob - this is my first attempt. I read the informational threads regarding tomato illness/behavior but want your experienced opinions. The leaves have brown spot, the lower old leaves have developed purple veins & the plant in general looks kinda droopy. The variety was "celebrity". None the less it is still producing fruit. So far, my research has shown that purple veins/leaves point to a phosphorous deficiency. As far as the spots ... jeez every tomato illness out there produces brown spots it seems hah. My cherry tomato plants seem to be immune, are producing going on their merry way. Anyhow, below are 2 pics, one of the spot & the other of the purple veins.

If they are sick, any advice/help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by RhianB; July 29, 2009 at 06:48 PM. Reason: forgot to say hi
RhianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2009   #2
HakaiRah
Tomatovillian™

Hello! I'm no expert but it looks to me like you may have a nutritional deficiency as you deduced. My experience says that the leaf damage is either contact damage or insect damage and not any of the blights or the like. Having seen late blight in action this year I'm certain you do not have that Good luck.
HakaiRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2009   #3
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

Ditto. It doesn't look like a blight to me but could be nutritional. Try a foliar seaweed spray.
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote