Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 16, 2009   #1
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Default Has anyone ever lost a SunGold to disease?

In responding to another thread, I got to thinking about how SunGold seems totally immune to whatever wilt disease I have in my yard. Some other cherry tomatoes seem to survive it as well, although some do not. None of my slicer-types do.

I was just wondering if anyone had ever lost a SunGold plant to disease. I've seen some mild foliage disease, but never anything fatal. Whatever wilt I have is very virulent, and SunGold just laughs at it, which got me to wondering about its disease resistance in general. So does anyone have any stories of SunGolds that succumbed? Or how about stories like my own, where SunGold survives what other plants cannot? I was just curious and thought I'd see what others have experienced with the variety.
Old July 16, 2009   #2
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

Funny, I've never really thought about this, but as I reflect on the years since I've been growing Sungold, you're right, it doesn't succumb. I've had bouts of fusarium... but the Sungolds keep thriving. A few years ago I had gray mold but it didn't beat down the Sungolds. I've had thunderstorms that knocked the plants about a bit, but Sungold just adapts. And it's almost always my most prolific producer. Interesting....
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2009   #3
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Sungold every year since 1990 and have NEVER lost a plant to disease. Has always been prolific, healthy and the fruits were sweet!
Old July 17, 2009   #4
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Yes, I have lost Sungold to disease - it has been hit hard by Fusarium in a few of my seasons (I have one in a pot that is fighting mightily, and at least partially successfully, against it). One year it eventually gave up the ghost, and other plants in the garden (other varieties) survived...so I've not found it completely bullet proof (but then again, no tomato is...that is why I like the word tolerance, rather than resistance). I've never lost one to bacterial or tomato spotted wilt, however.
Old July 17, 2009   #5
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I wonder if the fact that many of the newer cherry tomato varieties have some "currant" in their parentage that might give them the better resistance/tolerance.

With other plants, stuff that is closer to "wild" is usually more tolerant of harder conditions.

Just a thought,
Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2009   #6
Eric02476
Tomatovillian™

Almost never, although last year Early Blight finally took over on my SunGolds very late in the season, when they were almost done anyway. At the moment, I've almost lost my determinants to early blight but the Sun Golds are laughing at it. I think it's because they grow so fast and branch so vigorously, so they can more easily outrace a lot of diseases.
Eric02476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2009   #7
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
Yes, I have lost Sungold to disease - it has been hit hard by Fusarium in a few of my seasons (I have one in a pot that is fighting mightily, and at least partially successfully, against it). One year it eventually gave up the ghost, and other plants in the garden (other varieties) survived...so I've not found it completely bullet proof (but then again, no tomato is...that is why I like the word tolerance, rather than resistance). I've never lost one to bacterial or tomato spotted wilt, however.
Interesting. That makes me suspect that my wilt is not Fusarium then. It's pretty impressive that bacterial wilt or tomato spotted wilt haven't gotten any I suppose, (provided they were exposed to it). Part of my reason for starting this thread is sometimes I see posts asking for good varieties to grow when certain diseases are present. Sounds like SunGold does better than most.
Old July 17, 2009   #8
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

of all of the hundreds of varieties I've grown over the years, Red Brandywine and Cherokee Purple seem to be the most disease tolerant varieties I've grown - I've not lost either to disease, ever, if my memory serves me correctly.
Old July 17, 2009   #9
Frog
Tomatovillian™

I've had two seasons where Cherokee Purple were the only tomatoes I lost to disease.

I've never grown Sungold, but I'm tempted now.
Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2009   #10
BigdaddyJ
Tomatovillian™

I've grown SunGold every year since it came out. I'm thinking 1995/1996? Anyway, no, never lost a Sun Gold.
Old July 17, 2009   #11
pooklette
Tomatovillian™

I lost Sungold plants two years in a row to what I think was early blight (along with about 30 other varieties.) Mulching, staking, fungicides...nothing helped. The only plant that hung on long enough to produce ripe fruit was Black Cherry.
pooklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2009   #12
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
of all of the hundreds of varieties I've grown over the years, Red Brandywine and Cherokee Purple seem to be the most disease tolerant varieties I've grown - I've not lost either to disease, ever, if my memory serves me correctly.

I've noticed that my Cherokee Purples seem to have a very strong resistance to foliage diseases, but my wilt takes them down quick. They are a pretty tough variety overall though.

Not much does survive my yard's wilt, (SunGold and other small cherries, currant tomatoes, etc.). It just amazes me how the disease that kills some plants so fast can be totally ignored by other plants. Thus showing the need for genetic diversity.

Last edited by Fert1; July 19, 2009 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Added a sentence
Fert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2009   #13
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I think that this thread is probably showing most of all how we each have different experiences with different varieties in our different gardens in different seasons! Clearly picking out any common themes would be useful, though.
Old July 19, 2009   #14
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I thought it might be interesting to compare notes. I know different diseases are more prevalent in certain areas as well. So it's nice to know tolerance levels of different varieties in certain regions.
Old July 19, 2009   #15
JCBigBlue
Tomatovillian™

My Sungold is battling some type of wilt now. Several of my varieties are suffering a little, but the Sungold is second-worst; behind Black Cherry. The plants that I ordered all have some of this wilt, while the ones I started from seed do not. I suspect there was something in the CA greenhouse where my shipped plants were from.

Last edited by JCBigBlue; July 19, 2009 at 11:18 AM.
JCBigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote