Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old August 2, 2019   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Garlic Stock Arrived Yesterday

This year I am experimenting with vernalizing some of my garlic stock to see if that makes a difference in this warm area. I'm also trying two new-to-me garlics in the garden, Russian Inferno (Asiatic turban type) and Siberian (marble purple stripe turban), along with the Maiskij and Shilla I've been growing the past several years.

I found a small garlic company, Keene Garlic up in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin that was willing to ship mine as early as possible to give me more time to pre-chill the garlic.
He sent me a list of what he had growing, some of which isn't in his online list yet and from that I was able to look them up and find the two I thought might do well here.
https://keeneorganics.com/

So into a paper bag and into the veggie bin they go for about 10 weeks until mid October.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2019   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

Nice! Your vegetable bin must be colder than mine. (Fridge doesn't work so I keep em in my front porch - only trouble it gets hot this time of year. )
I hope you have great success with these new ones and a better year than last.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2019   #3
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I forgot to add that I put two bulbs each of last year's in the reefer with the new stuff.
That way I can watch both chilled and unchilled old stock to see if it makes any difference.
Old August 3, 2019   #4
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

They're in one of those mini reefers that we keep beer, sodas and water bottles in. Today I remembered I have one of those indoor/outdoor digital thermometers so I stuck the sensor in the little veggie bin with the bag of bulbs and the screen next to my recliner. It's at a pretty steady 45 degrees in there. Well, depending on how many times a refill is needed.
Old November 1, 2019   #5
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Garlic Update

Three of the four kinds of garlic planted Oct 14 are up. All of these garlics received the chilling and were planted 4" deep with 5" spacing.

On the left side of the bed are two kinds, Maiskij and Shilla, that were planted using bulbs I grew last year. The Shilla started coming up in six days, the Maiskij in ten days.

On the right side are Russian Inferno and Siberian, two new ones I bought to try this year. A few Infernos popped up 10/28 but not many more have joined them. None of the Siberians are up yet. Does anybody know if the Siberian is a slow grower?

Here's the strange part. I planted all the large cloves of Inferno and Siberian. Then in a separate area I planted out the remaining small cloves of both. Right now it's the Siberians that have popped up and none of the Infernos! Go figure.
Old November 1, 2019   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Good luck to you and this years garlic crop.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote