Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 27, 2011   #1
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Default Wow, red epidermis?

I've only been at this (tomato breeding) seriously for 3 years. Each year I learn something new and keep an eye out for the unexpected. Here's a new one for me - an apparently red epidermis on a yellow tomato. This fruit is from one of four F3 plants. The F2 parent had the same trait. I made a couple of crosses to a striped F3 sister line, so can track inheritance. It a very tasty large cherry, w/ BTD as a parent in the F1.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red epidermis.jpg (398.5 KB, 56 views)
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2011   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

We've seen that in our Dwarf project. Tomato genetics is quite fascinating and sometimes surprising! It was in the Eventful line, I believe.
Old August 27, 2011   #3
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Looked like I jumped the gun a little. On closer inspection the red pigmentation is in a very thin layer just under a clear epidermis and above the orange/bicolor flesh. It can be removed with your fingernail. Still pretty cool, but not a new allele for epidermis color.
Old August 27, 2011   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogsleap farm View Post
Looked like I jumped the gun a little. On closer inspection the red pigmentation is in a very thin layer just under a clear epidermis and above the orange/bicolor flesh. It can be removed with your fingernail. Still pretty cool, but not a new allele for epidermis color.
Mark, when checking for epidermis color I've had the same problem of picking up some of the pigmentation along with the epidermis.

And I find that the fingernail method works very well for me. If I can get a small piece of the epidermis free I can usually peel a larger piece right off.

I also have found it useful of late to use a known red and a known pink as controls with the one I'm testing.

How I wish I even knew about epidermis colors for the first 15 years I was growing heirloom varieties. Especially after I listed Anna Russian in the red section of the SSE YEarbook back in the early 90's.
Old August 27, 2011   #5
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

That IS pretty cool, no matter what the genetics. I wonder if that thin layer of "red" flesh is a gene thing or environmental? It would interesting to have a thicker layer (like 1/4") of red flesh next to the skin to contrast with the different color flesh.

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2011   #6
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage View Post
That IS pretty cool, no matter what the genetics. I wonder if that thin layer of "red" flesh is a gene thing or environmental? It would interesting to have a thicker layer (like 1/4") of red flesh next to the skin to contrast with the different color flesh.

Steve
It is definitely genetic. It is very consistent in this family, both last year in the F2 and this year in all F3 progeny. It will be fun looking at segregation for the trait in crosses.