Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 25, 2016   #106
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

I appreciate that, Jaymato. We've had a great response to the new varieties and it is always fun to hear from folks and talk tomatoes.
We are still in the grip of winter in New Mexico, but the first tomato seedlings are popping up in the heated workshop and there is no turning back now! We'll take over another acre just north of our place this summer which will give us more room for corn and peppers as well as tomatoes. Thanks to everyone who has helped make it possible for us to do what we love doing.

Lee
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2016   #107
Canehdian
Tomatovillian™

J and L has awesome varieties, Lee is a true pioneer, the packages have LOTS of seeds and the postage is not excessive. Some sites its $10 US to ship to Canada, which is almost $15 Canadian after the bank applies their markups! Just want to mention however that I forgot my password and have never been able to get another one to get back in to order more, even though there is a link for that. (I use a Mac if that makes any difference.)
Canehdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2016   #108
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Hi Canehdian -

When I can use first class mail international (letter mail) the shipping is free. I can't do corn and bean seed that way, but tomato and other small seeds work.
Password retrieval on the website has been a problem when, for unknown reasons, my hosting service changes the email server settings. I'll check into that today.
Anyway, thank you for the compliments!

Lee
Old January 28, 2016   #109
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Just an update. I believe any problems with resetting a lost password are resolved - at least it was working for me.
Lee
Old January 28, 2016   #110
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Hello,

I've obtained seeds for your variety 'Rancho Solito'. I see you've pulled it from your store and will be reselecting for fruits that do not have concentric cracking problems in wet weather. Are you going back to an earlier generation and going forward from there? It's a variety that sounds very interesting and I'm excited to try sometime.

Thanks!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2016   #111
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

2015 was the wettest summer I've seen in 30 years. It was like growing in the Pacific Northwest. It was a good test of the plants ability to handle cool, damp weather. ("it's a good test"- that's what we say when disaster strikes) We might see some of the same type of weather with the El Nino this season.
Rancho Solito is a hirsutum cross, PL, rugose and very early. But last year I wasn't able to take many to market and had to dehydrate them instead. So you're right, I'm going back to some F3 and F4 selections to see how they do. I saved seed from about 8 lines. A couple appeared to be blight resistant as well.
Old April 26, 2016   #112
braybright

Wow, Zolotaya Kanareyka is really unique looking! The site says sold out - will you be restocking it?
Old April 27, 2016   #113
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

It is unusual with that very long 'beak'. My friend Dmitriy sent me the variety from Russia and I don't know much about the history.
The fruit doesn't produce much seed and so I did run out. I started several plants this spring and I'll have more this fall.
However, I could send you half a dozen seeds to start if you'd like. I think there are about 20 left in the jar. PM me if you have room this season and are interested in a trade or returning seed to me at the end of the season.

Lee
Old April 27, 2016   #114
braybright

That is very kind of you! I'll send a pm.
Old April 28, 2016   #115
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

You are welcome. That goes for other seed I have as well. It is good to share these varieties and see them grown.

Lee
Old April 28, 2016   #116
UFXEFU
Tomatovillian™

Lee,
Did you sow the red Sugar Drop seed I sent you? I am growing out 3 plants and have shared seedlings with 4 friends. My plants are blooming but no fruit set yet.

Bob
UFXEFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2016   #117
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Just wanted to say I grew Ambrosia Gold this year and loved it. The little gems are just morsels of intense deliciousness! No cracking, either. Very few of them actually made it into the house because I ate them as soon as I picked them.
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2016   #118
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Bipetual -

It is always nice to hear a report like that. I've had a good year with the variety as well and taken loads to the farmers market here in Santa Fe. We had an unusual summer with heat through July and then cool, rainy, weather in August. My Ambrosia Reds cracked a little, but the Golds and the Ambrosia Orange were fine. Anyway, thanks, and good luck with everything else in the garden.

Lee
Old December 25, 2016   #119
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Merry Christmas everyone! The mountains here look like a Christmas card and it is almost time to think about the new season.
Our catalog is out and we added a bunch of new tomatoes, peppers, and corn. There are over 300 varieties now, all raised on our farm. So much for retirement! The 2017 catalog can be found on the farm web page.
As always, if anyone here would like a sample of something, all you have to do is ask. Jan and I hope all of you are enjoying being with friends and family and wish you the very best.
Lee
Old December 26, 2016   #120
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwin View Post
It is unusual with that very long 'beak'. My friend Dmitriy sent me the variety from Russia and I don't know much about the history.
The fruit doesn't produce much seed and so I did run out. I started several plants this spring and I'll have more this fall.
However, I could send you half a dozen seeds to start if you'd like. I think there are about 20 left in the jar. PM me if you have room this season and are interested in a trade or returning seed to me at the end of the season.

Lee
Here's the history Lee

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...taya_Kanareyka

And I have lots of seeds returned from one of my now 7 seed producers who grew it out for seed production this past summer and it will be listed in the next seed offer.

He always sends back his comments about each variety and this is what he wrote for this one

Indet, RL, 3 oz yellow paste teardrop shaped, point on blossom end, good to very good flavor,high yields.

Now my words,his adjectives when describing flavor are way down as compared to those he has written for other varieties. He's grown many thousands of varieties and SSE lists many of them, adding and deleting some each year as I used to do when I was a listed SSE member.

My seeds were originally from Reinhard Kraft in Germany.We'd trade my newest ones for the same # off his list,with pictures, but he didn't want any new ones lately b/c he was concentrating on his breeding efforts.He always listed lots of varieties from Russia.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn