Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 13, 2013   #1
tedln

Default What to plant?

I've harvested all my onions and garlic and have them drying in the shop. It has left me with a lot of bare dirt and my tomatoes and squash look lonely in their raised beds. I can't figure out what I can plant in the summer heat and expect it to grow and produce. I thought about planting some carrots, but my success growing carrots in the past has been dismal. Any suggestions?

Ted
Old June 13, 2013   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

How about some cucumbers and melons? If you have the space, sweet corn likes heat. I am No expert on the Texas climate but those are my suggestions.
Karen O
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2013   #3
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Pumpkin? I think I remember someone telling me they like the heat.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2013   #4
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
How about some cucumbers and melons? If you have the space, sweet corn likes heat. I am No expert on the Texas climate but those are my suggestions.
Karen O
Karen,

Thanks! I am growing cucumbers in two beds and some containers. I've grown some melons on trellis in the past with decent results. I think I am looking for some type of green like kale or spinach that will germinate in the heat. Most leafy greens are now bolting or dieing in the heat. I don't know if any leafy green exists that will germinate and grow in high heat.

I also have peppers and eggplant doing well in the heat as well as a few other things I can't think of at this moment. I just pulled all my beets and the wife and I spent yesterday learning how to prepare a few pint jars of pickled beets. They turned out great.

Ted
Old June 14, 2013   #5
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
Karen,

I think I am looking for some type of green like kale or spinach that will germinate in the heat. Most leafy greens are now bolting or dieing in the heat. I don't know if any leafy green exists that will germinate and grow in high heat.

Ted
You could try New Zealand Spinach. It grows well all summer for me, although I am pretty far north. We do get hot spells, though, and the NZ Spinach just keeps on growing. And it's tasty, too.
Shawn
Old June 14, 2013   #6
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

If you are looking for a green that will take heat, Swiss chard marches on through the heat with no problems here. The very best green in my opinion. try bright lights, rhubarb or an old fashioned white ribbed green chard called fordhook giant. will grow well even in difficult conditions and doesn't bolt. another thing to try is germinating the seed indoors in cooler conditions and transplanting the seedlings out in the garden. as an example, beets do fine in heat once they are growing but they don't like to germinate in heat. you could try sowing indoors and transplanting them to see if that would work.
K

Last edited by KarenO; June 14, 2013 at 01:38 AM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2013   #7
ArthurDent004
Tomatovillian™

I think you would need to wait till August for planting your greens.
ArthurDent004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2013   #8
eatmoreyeah
Tomatovillian™

If you like southern peas they thrive in heat and are quite drought tolerant. They dont need much fertilizer and don't require much attention. I pulled my 1st planting of corn a few days ago and planted my 5 crop of southern peas today. I grow the Top Pick Pink Eye Purple Hull and Mississppi Silver peas. From seeding to harvest is 50-60 days.

Besides peas, you can plant okra, cantaloupe/muskmelons, watermelons and sweet tators.

Charles
eatmoreyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2013   #9
kath
Tomatovillian™

How about bush beans?

On second thought maybe your intense heat doesn't allow the flowers to set, huh?

Last edited by kath; June 14, 2013 at 08:17 AM.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2013   #10
jillybeantx
Tomatovillian™

Malabar will thrive in the heat. I grew it last summer and it lasted from spring until i ripped it out in the fall. The taste is similar to spinach. When the leaves get bigger I thought it was bitter, but the smaller leaves were ok. This will need support...I grew mine on a trellis. And the bonus-the grasshoppers didn't bother it!
jillybeantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2013   #11
jerryinfla
Tomatovillian™

I second (eatmoreyeah) Charle's suggestions -- especially southern peas and okra. Both do great in the heat and southern peas are excellent cover crops that not only improve your soil but are also delicious to eat. Okra thrives in the heat but if you have RKNs, it will attract the little buggers thus compounding that problem.
Old June 14, 2013   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Swiss chard Okra any bean Black eyed peas, summer squash, corn.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; June 14, 2013 at 08:30 AM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2013   #13
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Chard, field peas, okra, bush snap beans.
Old June 14, 2013   #14
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Eggplant
Old June 14, 2013   #15
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
If you are looking for a green that will take heat, Swiss chard marches on through the heat with no problems here. The very best green in my opinion. try bright lights, rhubarb or an old fashioned white ribbed green chard called fordhook giant. will grow well even in difficult conditions and doesn't bolt. another thing to try is germinating the seed indoors in cooler conditions and transplanting the seedlings out in the garden. as an example, beets do fine in heat once they are growing but they don't like to germinate in heat. you could try sowing indoors and transplanting them to see if that would work.
K
Yep, growing bright lights and fordhook giant chard and they do like the heat. Thats a good idea about germinating the beets indoors and transplanting them.

Ted