Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old March 26, 2011   #1
King Carrot
Tomatovillian™

Default SEA-CROP

This was mentioned on a UK gardening forum - anyone have any experience of it and what it's all about?

http://www.sea-crop.com/

I expect the people behind it may well be joining the forum for a very short visit in the very near future to tell us all about it.

It certainly does seem to be the way of the world now, that a company gets a nudge when its product is mentioned anywhere on the net.
King Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2011   #2
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Looks very similar to this: http://www.seaagri.com/

I've heard good things about Sea-90 but haven't tried either. I use Redmond Mineral Salts, which is mined from prehistoric salt deposits. I figure I get the minerals yet untainted by the agricultural run-off and other by-products of our modern day oceans.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2011   #3
TerraGenics
Tomatovillian™

I'm Gabriel and own TerraGenics which distributes Sea-Crop seawater concentrate. I've worked closely with the owner and developer of the product for a few years now and can probably answer most of your questions. I will say that tomatoes have shown the best response out of any crop when Sea-Crop is applied.

A 2008 study at Louisiana State University showed a 30% increase in yields. A study was done last summer on Long Island overseen by researchers at Cornell University and yields improved 35-100% depending on the crop. I have a friend on Long Island that runs a micro farm and he said using Sea-Crop help produce the best tasting tomatoes he's ever grow. This year he'll be growing about 4,000 plants. I work with an organic landscape consultant in Oregon and he said using Sea-Crop helped produce the best tasting, sweetest tomatoes ever and the plants also produced later into the season compared to untreated.

I'm doing a study with the University of California at Davis this summer and we'll be looking at tomato pH, brix and color and am sure they'll see yield enhancements also.

An interesting thing about the Cornell study was plant lycopene levels increased 97%, beta carotene was up 46% and total carotenoids were up 39%. I will also be doing other tests with the tomatoes grown by UC Davis this year in addition to what they will be doing.

Quote:
I've heard good things about Sea-90 but haven't tried either. I use Redmond Mineral Salts, which is mined from prehistoric salt deposits. I figure I get the minerals yet untainted by the agricultural run-off and other by-products of our modern day oceans.
Well I'm not a fan of salt and not just because I work with Sea-Crop. My www.terragenics.com website goes into some detail about the salt issue. I know Dr. Murray did a lot of work with sea salt (sea solids) but Sea-Crop takes things to a whole different level. Some of the trace minerals are concentrated up to about 30 fold while sodium chloride levels are reduced. Sea-Crop also concentrates the organic compounds in seawater such as fulvic acid and phytoplankton exudes. The organic compounds in Sea-Crop, such as mucopolysaccharides are similar in nature to plant root exudates. Also in Sea-Crop are beneficial nitrogen fixing marine bacteria. One of the things people notice first is the ability to reduce nitrogen inputs the first year by at least 25%.

This is my first post here so give me a chance to get up to speed regarding how things work...thx.

EDIT - Just wanted to say I'm interested in helping to provide info about Sea-Crop while staying within site guidelines and Terms Of Use.

Last edited by TerraGenics; March 27, 2011 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Added clarification
TerraGenics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2011   #4
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Hi Gabriel - excellent post. Thank you for the very detailed information. Always great to hear from the source. We'll look forward to hearing more about your studies.

Rich
Old March 27, 2011   #5
TerraGenics
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonenorth View Post
Hi Gabriel - excellent post. Thank you for the very detailed information. Always great to hear from the source. We'll look forward to hearing more about your studies.

Rich
I've got about 2 years into this project and will do what I can to share what I know about Sea-Crop and related topics.
Old March 27, 2011   #6
puttgirl
Tomatovillian™

Any free samples available?

Sounds like good stuff.

Last edited by puttgirl; March 27, 2011 at 09:12 PM.
puttgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011   #7
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Ordered some Sea-Crop to trial on my tomatoes and peppers. Will report back later this summer.

Gabe - any further suggestions on best application would be welcome.

Thanks!
Old May 6, 2011   #8
TerraGenics
Tomatovillian™

For the small plot grower a 1% dilution soil drench on the plugs at transplant. Then a .5% dilution foliar application 2 weeks after transplant and also a .5% dilution foliar application at fruit sizing when the largest fruit is 1". You can also apply a .5% dilution soil drench at fruit sizing when the largest fruit is 1".

That's a very simple and safe program. I wouldn't do more than that for your first year.

Sea-Crop is good for a few years if stored properly. If you're not satisfied with the results then I would recommend weekly .25% dilution foliar applications starting 2 weeks after transplant, or biweekly .5% dilution foliar applications, and weekly .1% dilution soil applications, or biweekly .25% dilution soil applications. With this more aggressive program still make sure you do the 1% dilution soil drench on the plugs at transplant. The application at transplant is the most important.

Remember...normally Sea-Crop is used in open agriculture on acres of crops and translating to small plot growing takes a bit of tweaking.
Old July 4, 2011   #9
jdmfish
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttgirl View Post
Any free samples available?

Sounds like good stuff.

+1! Any free samples?

Quote:
Ordered some Sea-Crop to trial on my tomatoes and peppers. Will report back later this summer.

Gabe - any further suggestions on best application would be welcome.

Thanks!

I know it hasn't been too long, but after two months, anything to report?

Interesting link I found:

http://www.subtleenergies.com/ormus/...p_MicroTom.htm

Last edited by jdmfish; July 4, 2011 at 05:54 PM.
jdmfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2011   #10
hoffman900
Tomatovillian™

Very interested in this. I live close to the ocean, and will experiment with the .35 gallons (~46grams of salt) next year.
http://www.njfarmfresh.rutgers.edu/d...toSalt2009.pdf
http://www.seaagri.com/docs/Rutgers_...eport_2010.pdf
hoffman900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2011   #11
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmfish View Post
I know it hasn't been too long, but after two months, anything to report?
http://www.subtleenergies.com/ormus/...p_MicroTom.htm
I've been using SC as directed and I'm very pleased with my crops thus far. Unfortunately, I'm trying a few new things this year in terms of fertility and I haven't set up any scientific comparisons. I'm starting a second group of tomatoes here in about a week and I'll see if I can arrange some side-by-sides.
Old July 5, 2011   #12
jdmfish
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I've been using SC as directed and I'm very pleased with my crops thus far. Unfortunately, I'm trying a few new things this year in terms of fertility and I haven't set up any scientific comparisons. I'm starting a second group of tomatoes here in about a week and I'll see if I can arrange some side-by-sides.

That would be awesome!
jdmfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2011   #13
creister
Tomatovillian™

fortyonenorth,

Anymore info about your results with SEA-Crop?
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2011   #14
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Nothing definitive. I used Sea-Crop, as directed, and can't attribute to it any great increase in yield or quality. However, I didn't conduct side-by-side tests, so my observations are purely anecdotal. I'll try it again in 2012, simply because I have it on hand now.

The more growing I do, the more I'm convinced that success is more attributable to good gardening practice and the whims of nature than it is to any of the many "tonics" available on the market.
Old February 10, 2012   #15
Seasaltman
Tomatovillian™

Hello Everyone, I'm Robert Cain owner of SeaAgri. We supply SEA-90 sea mineral solids world wide to growers interested in increasing the nutrient density, flavor and production of crops and vegetables. In the late 1970's I operated a hydroponic tomato farm in Ft Meyers FL working directly with Maynard Murray MD who discovered the technology of Sea Energy Agriculture. Thirty years ago I bit into my first sea mineral enriched Tomato and the flavors shocked my brain to the extent that I knew Sea Energy Agriculture was my life's work. I can answer any questions you may have about Dr Murray, his experiments, soil and crop remineralization. I invite you to visit our web site, SeaAgri.com, and learn about Dr. Murray, his research and SEA-90 sea mineral solids.

With regard to some of the comments in this thread about SEA-90 and Sea-Crop let me begin by saying that Dr. Murray developed the technology of incorporating the 92 elements present in sea water into our soil and crops for one purpose, to improve human health. Our goal at SeaAgri is to promote this technology and hopefully spread enough around the world that human health can indeed be improved. Sea-Crop, Ocean Grown, Ocean Solution and Gro-Pal are all liquid products made from sea water. SEA-90 sea mineral solids are created by nature, solar dried from sea water in a unique location discovered by Dr. Murray when he searched the world for perfect sea mineral solids necessary for his research trials. We at SeaAgri know that remineralizing our food supply is too big a project for one person or one company and are pleased to see so many other individuals and companies interested in promoting the use of sea minerals in Garden and crop production.

I want to address a couple of comments above and then I will start an open and separate discussion on the subject of Sea Energy Agriculture, soil and crop remineralization where we can talk about our experiments and results with many different products and hopefully take Dr. Murray's discovery and life's work to a new level of understanding.

1) SeaAgri has laboratory tests available on its web site showing that it is pollution free. We are the only sea mineral, sea water or sea salt company on earth that provides this information. We have also conducted tests for heavy metals and the levels are below those required for kitchen salt. SEA-90 is OMRI Listed (Organic Material and Review Institute) for the organic production of all crops and livestock. The location where we collect SEA-90 is unique and Dr. Murray found only three such location on earth. If you visit our web site we explain in detail why this location is unique and why SEA-90 contains the complete spectrum of minerals and trace elements which Dr. Murray estimated at 92.

2) SEA-90 is created by nature and sunlight. It is 32-35% sodium and 82-85% NaCl. The balance being the remaining 90 elements. Don't be afraid of sodium or chloride. They are both macro elements necessary for plant and human health. Sodium provides electro conductivity in nature. We need it but must be careful not to apply to much on the soil or leaf surface. However a small amount combined with the remaining 90 minerals and trace elements has amazing benefits. Micro-organisms in the soil or on the leaf surface feast on sea minerals and trace elements. We recommend 1 tsp per gallon of water as a foliar spray. Use two if you want to make a super concentrated fertilizer for more sodium tolerant crops. Tomatoes are perfect plants to experiment with because the fruit can provide 60 elements if available in the soil or provided through foliar sprays. You will taste the goodness of complete mineral balance.

3) Dr. Murray conducted his research by applying Sea Mineral Solids directly to the soil for the purpose of achieving complete soil remineralization. In his initial research he used sea water but realized for his large scale agricultural trials he could not afford to transport the quantity of sea water needed to provide the minerals and trace elements. Only 3.5% of sea water is mineral. The same holds true today when you compare the cost of sea water products with Sea Solids. 5 oz of SEA-90 in one gallon water recreates sea water. We can provide this at a cost of less than 50 cents. Use distilled water and make a super concentrated solution for $1.00. Add nitrogen, Humic or Folvic acid, liquid fish, ORMUS or any other fertility products and it just gets better and better.

4) Dr's Heckman and Ortman of Rutgers Univ. have completed three years of field research using SEA-90 as a fertilizer on tomatoes. A forth is scheduled for 2012. They have concluded that the fruit ripens 10 days earlier than controls and SEA-90 sea mineral enriched tomatoes have won the blind test test all three years. The data is available on our web site in PDF form.

5) SeaAgri provided 3.5 million pounds of SEA-90 sea mineral solids last year world wide. It is being used as a broadcast fertilizer, foliar fertilizer and livestock mineral salt. It is also incorporated into compost tea and compost piles to increase microbial activity. Dr. Murray's dream of improving plant, animal and human health through the incorporation of sea minerals and trace elements into agricultural programs is alive and well although he has been gone for 30 years.

I wish everyone a successful garden in 2012 and may you grow the tastiest tomatoes ever!

Last edited by Seasaltman; February 10, 2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
Seasaltman is offline   Reply With Quote