Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old November 6, 2016   #16
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the big response everyone. I will definitely check out Starks.

As far as blueberries we always get a live Christmas tree. I had assays heard that pine needles help with blueberries. So I thought I would make a hugelkulture bed out of the whole tree. Figured it would do the same as pine needles.

-Zach
Old November 6, 2016   #17
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazedwards View Post
Maybe just one Pawpaw though as I have never tried one. They are supposedly native to Missouri but I can't seem to find any to try. I'm fairly certain hey self pollinate.
You will need at least two, as most pawpaw varieties are not self-fruitful.
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2016   #18
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I have always wanted to grow them, but never have. I was just reading the descriptions of a few varieties here: http://www.petersonpawpaws.com/Products.php
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2016   #19
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

I don't know why they interest me so much but they do. They use to be very popular but have been forgotten in the last 60-70 years.

-Zach
Old November 24, 2016   #20
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

So a few days ago I plant some garlic at the new place. I must say I am amazed by the soil. I took some compost and some soil from the best area of the current garden and took it out there with me. It doesn't have anything on the soil at the new place. The new soil is very dark and has great texture. Can't wait to see how stuff grows in it.

Here is the new soil just a shovel deep.

Here is the new soil on the left and the soil/compost I brought on the right. Huge difference!

-Zach
Old November 24, 2016   #21
Sydney Grower
Tomatovillian™

Default Blueberries

Speaking of blueberries, just picked our 4 bushes again tonight. They just keep giving. Every 3 days we pick a bowl full like this. Can't believe how generous they are.

Enjoyed some for dessert.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0025.jpg (285.8 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0026.jpg (277.5 KB, 146 views)
Sydney Grower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2016   #22
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I just saw this thread and WOW, you have some great topsoil there and look at how deep it is!!! You sure do have a great piece of land, I bet that you have your best garden ever next year. I am very envious, most of us work years to have what you have found in that little shovel.
Old November 27, 2016   #23
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

Don't forget that blueberries are also great landscaping plants. They make a real nice hedge with beautiful fall red colors.
MendozaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2016   #24
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney Grower View Post
Speaking of blueberries, just picked our 4 bushes again tonight. They just keep giving. Every 3 days we pick a bowl full like this. Can't believe how generous they are.

Enjoyed some for dessert.
I think I see some rare Australian Blueberry Spiders glowing in the bottom of that bowl. You best mail a bowl of your blueberries to my lab for further analysis
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2016   #25
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

It may go without saying but I advise you to be very certain where you want to place your trees. Be sure they don't cause shade problems for your garden locations. What a fabulous opportunity you have to plan and build everything to your own specs. Good luck!
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2016   #26
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Good point about the plan. It's hard to tell from the pics, but another thing to look for are frost pockets. Cold air will flow downhill like water and collect in the lowest areas. Those spots will usually freeze out plants that otherwise would be hardy in your zone.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2016   #27
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Default Dandy Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazedwards View Post
So a few days ago I plant some garlic at the new place. I must say I am amazed by the soil. I took some compost and some soil from the best area of the current garden and took it out there with me. It doesn't have anything on the soil at the new place. The new soil is very dark and has great texture. Can't wait to see how stuff grows in it.

Here is the new soil just a shovel deep.

Here is the new soil on the left and the soil/compost I brought on the right. Huge difference!

Can you send me a truck load. Thanks in advance, Jimbo.

-Zach
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2016   #28
Sydney Grower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustdevil View Post
I think I see some rare Australian Blueberry Spiders glowing in the bottom of that bowl. You best mail a bowl of your blueberries to my lab for further analysis
Haha Dusty,

Love it. Just send an address and i'll get them right on the way
Sydney Grower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2016   #29
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the responses guys. I have worked on the soil at the current place for 4 years and it's not even close to as good as that.

The property does slope down enough that I'm sure I will have a frost pocket. The hill faces northeast. I was thinking of planting the fruit trees with peaches toward the bottom. That way the soil warms slower and I don't have a late frost ruin a year.

I can't wait to start getting the more permanent trees and bushes planted but I don't want to rush to fast and regret it later.

-Zach
Old December 3, 2016   #30
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

That soil goes back thousands of years and is the soil that was all over the Oklahoma Kansas Texas area before the great dust bowl days.
Many feet of soil was simply blown away when they plowed under the buffalo grass to grow wheat.
Then it stopped raining and the wind started blowing.

I have been 100 foot up in an oil derrick and seen these things coming in out in west Texas from the cotton fields of new Mexico and the pan handle.

Time to get out of the derrick as the wind kicks up to 70 mph in no time and the temperature drops big time.
Sometimes from 60 to 20 in less than 15 minutes.

For fruit trees you can plant them in rows in the garden but give space and select dwarf or semi dwarf trees.
Your going to be pruning them anyway.
You can even do the aspalier training to make better use of your space.
No law says they have to be a tree.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...q4ZGKpReY8q0rw
Run your grape trellises and fruit tree rows from south east to northwest.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote