Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 13, 2007   #1
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default Bonsai Trees

I've recently germinated a Monkeypod Brazilian Rain Tree to use eventually for bonsai, and plan on having a few bonsai trees in the future. So I decided to ask about the experiences others have had with growing bonsai trees.

It'll take years for my seedling to turn into a nice bonsai tree, but that's part of the attraction to it. Some of the bonsai trees I've seen pictures of are stunning. Some being hundreds of years old. They had one on the news a couple of weeks ago that was over 400 years old! Amazing.

I'd enjoy hearing your experiences with bonsai. What first got me interested was when I was living in Miami several years ago, I noticed someone was selling 10 different types of tree seed for bonsai on EBAY, for $12 or around that price. So I decided to try them out. At that time I didn't have any lighting, so after germinating, the spindly seedlings toppled over. We also had unusually cold weather for about a week which helped kill them off.

Some varieties had great germination rates but others had low or very low rates. Giant Sequoia had maybe 1 or 2 germinate, and the "stone" types (I forget the actual names but they had stone in the name) were also incredibly stubburn to germinate.

Well, I wanted to start this thread to hopefully initiate some discussion about bonsai. It seems a worthwhile topic to discuss. Maybe that's just because I'm interested in it.

Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007   #2
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Jeff. I started a Japanese Maple last year from a cutting. My husband is using it for bonsai. We have absolutely no experience at this! Since these trees are not hardy here, I wintered it over with my tender roses and that seems to have worked. It's sprouting out tiny little leaves right now. I need to figure out where to put it so that it doesn't dry out too quickly in its little container, but gets enough sun to grow. I'll be watching this thread for good advice!

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007   #3
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default Bonsai Trees

Sherry,

It seems the Japanese Maple is a popular tree to use for bonsai. Good luck with it. I bought Hinoki Cypress, Giant Sequoia & Coast Redwood, when I bought the Monkeypod seeds. I tried starting 1 seed of each and the only one to germinate so far has been the Monkeypod. I know at least one of the others really should be refrigerated for 3 months before sowing.

I'm planning on buying at least 4 more varieties as early as this week. I enjoy starting from seed and the company I buy them from (Whatcom) has some nice ones. I believe Trident Maple is one of the trees that catches my eye when I visit their website. Their seeds can be a bit expensive. Almost $4 for 5 or 10 seeds of some of their varieties. That's the down side of bonsai. Everything seems expensive, from seeds to bonsai pots. I'll have to be creative and design my own pots I guess. Looks like a fun hobby though. I'll just have to be careful and try to keep 'outdoor' tree-types outdoors. They say certain types have to be grown outdoors or they'll die. Unfortunately, all the ones I want to grow seem to be suited for outdoors only. When I move I'll have to insist on having a balcony or back patio, at least. I don't have any outdoor space at this apartment.

Jeff
Old May 22, 2007   #4
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

I've got a few bonsai projects. Thats originally how I found Gardenweb and here. Brent Walston is one of the best in the world (from Washington)

I'm still a "rook", but this is what I've got. Obviously, works in progress. But bonsai is not like tomatoes ... payoff is way more "long-term" ...

~ Tom

Peach Tree (from pit)

Hawthorne Trees (from seed)

Jade (cutting)

Juniper
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2007   #5
hald
Tomatovillian™

Is the Monkeypod tree seed you started the same as a Monkey Puzzle Tree?

I have a bonsai gingko. It was started from a cutting in 1971 or 72 and given to me as a housewarming gift from my sister in 1991. Somewhere I still have the original owner's name and address; he did it as a hobby. I've repotted it once since I've owned it. It is in a bonsai tray\planter\dish that is about 12" long and 6" wide and maybe 2 1/2" deep. It sits on a garden shelf outside my patio door and is watered by timer. The only time I've brought it indoors is during hard freezes. It gets bright indirect light. It is about 2 1/2 Ft tall, leaves are a bit smaller than most gingkos. I learned never to fertilize it as it seems to be happy with the nutrients in the water. I'd be very upset if something happened to mine. Good luck, bonsai is a wonderful hobby.
-Hal
hald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2007   #6
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default Bonsai Trees

Tom & Hal,

I started this thread and for some reason didn't come back to this forum to check out the replies. I was working alot of O/T at the time and forgot to check back.

Tom, unfortunately I wasn't able to see the pics you attached. Could just be a problem with my webtv not being able to pick up smaller images which I know is the case in some instances.

Hal, Not sure if Monkeypod Rain Tree is the same thing as Monkey Puzzle Tree. I doubt it only because when I was reading about it on the web I did not see any reference to Monkey Puzzle Tree that I can remember.

By the way, my Monkeypod tree didn't last long enough to even get transplanted. I could tell it wouldn't only because the leaves rarely opened, which told me the tree wasn't happy in those conditions. The rare times the leaves were open the tree did look really nice even for being so small. I'll have to be more realistic next time and either grow a bonsai that's suitable for indoors, or one that can grow outdoors in the climate I live in.

I appreciate both of your comments along with Suze's and enjoyed reading about your hobby. Feel free to post more on this topic. I'd be very interested in reading more about bonsai as I know so little about the subject.

Some of the older bonsai trees I've seen in pictures are unbelievable. I know I'll never live long enough to grow out a tree for 50 years or more, but it could be very enjoyable to start one and see it grow for as long as I can. I still have the seeds for the other varieties and need to get them into the fridge/freezer for 3 months before starting them. A couple of them I know will be very tough to germinate, namely Giant Sequoia and possibly the other two as well, Hinoki Cypress & Coast Redwood. It's worth a try but I doubt any of them will grow well in Ohio where I now live.
I know there are some that would grow well here, including the maples.

Jeff
Old August 29, 2007   #7
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Here's our little Japanese Maple.

Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2007   #8
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Watch out guys, this is a tomato forum!

My SFT tomato bonsai

dcarch

dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2007   #9
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Bonsai is an art and the "pay-off" is not as quick as veggies ...

Here are a few of my trees that are in training ...

~ Tom

(they are from early spring - just out of the shed)

Some indoor plants

Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2007   #10
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default Bonsai Trees

Thanks everyone or sharing - even the bonsai tomato plant, hah! I have limited space until next spring but I may try to start a seedling or two and sneak them in my indoor growing space somehow. I would enjoy trying my hand at bonsai for sure. But if I try another Monkeypod I'll probably need to buy a terrarium for it. One of the bonsai sites selling seeds recommended using one for that variety.

Jeff
Old September 3, 2007   #11
Earl
Tomatovillian™

I'm probably spit more than it's rained since end of May, so everything I planted this year was "Bonsai."

Tom, nice looking plants,especially the SFT. :-)