Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old April 15, 2013   #16
DanielA
Tomatovillian™

I love rhubarb , as pie,as topping or with custard, must be due to growing up in the uk. I just split a plant this morning to give four more if they survive the surgery , need all I can grow as my latest use is rhubarb and ginger jam. So now I need to try and grow ginger.
DanielA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2013   #17
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

If it wasn't tart, it's not rhubarb in my opinion. The rhubarb I'm familiar with is like sucking on lemons, but in a good way.

I like it with lots of sugar and orange juice, simmered until soft, or in a strawberry rhubarb pie.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2013   #18
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

My Grandma made some amazing recipes with rhubarb. I can't wait to live in rhubarb country so that I can learn to cook her recipes! I really want to have my own rhubarb patch but it just doesn't grow here. Some people try as an annual but its not really meant to grow that way.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2013   #19
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Simplicity itself....

http://allrecipes.com/video/1481/fre...29=Link_2&me=1

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2013   #20
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Rhubarb is normally a spring crop here in MN, but at least one local farmer has been producing good quality stems even through the hottest time of our year. He does it by growing the plants under shade-cloth once the weather warms up.

This suggests you could grow the plant further south than normal by using similar techniques. I haven't tested these principles, however.
Darren Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2013   #21
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

I love rhubarb- I'd gnaw on the stalks as a kid, it was like sour candy without the sweetness. Its best done simple: baked in a pie on its own with sugar or with another sweet fruit like cherries, strawberries, peaches... I'm lazy so I usually make a rhubarb/blueberry/strawberry crisp. If you make a strawberry - rhubarb prreserve you can put it on toast, have it with cheeses and put it on ice cream. Good stuff if its made right but you need a lot of sugar to tame the sourness.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote