Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old September 7, 2016   #1
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Default Questions about an accidental cross

If I take an Orange Icicle RL pollen and cross it with a Zachary PL plant (accidental cross). I got the Orange Cherry RL below as a F1 seed grow out. Should I should see all sorts of segregation in the F2-F4 grow outs correct? I've been reading a lot in this section and I'm new to crossing and growing crosses but I'm excited about the possibilities of these grow outs. From what I've read I should basically see both parents and all sorts of different traits correct? I should get some PL but mostly RL plants and some Black F2's right?

Resulting in this F1 grow out:

Last edited by Al@NC; September 7, 2016 at 03:09 PM.
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2016   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

You will get statistically about 25% PL and a wide assortment of shapes and colours from a cross like that. The more plants you grow out, the more likely you are to find something worth trying to stabilize. It's a genetic crapshoot so to speak. Maybe something great, maybe mostly bad have fun with it
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2016   #3
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Karen! I'm not looking for anything in particular but I'll grow as many as possible next year and see what I can find.

Al
Old September 8, 2016   #4
bower
Tomatovillian™

hi Al!

I wonder which orange genetic background is in Orange Icicle, because that would alter what you find in the F2 as well, as Beta is a dominant gene while tangerine is recessive.
If the gene is Beta, your F1 would turn deeply orange before ripening orange-red.
Flowers on Orange Icicle would look the same color as any red fruited variety.
If the gene is tangerine it isn't expressed at all in the F1, so fruit would ripen a normal red.
The flowers on the Orange Icicle would have darker than usual orange stamens, as a clue to tangerine.

That being said, my friend is growing out an F1 this year between the tangerine Datlo and a black, and it looked to me that the ripening fruit had a nice orange glow.
This is the trouble, when you're looking for some color clue, easy to forget that ordinary red fruit can be orange (or even yellow) before they turn red.
I'm also finding that fruit with just one gf allele seem to show it a little - greener shoulders and green streaks on the fruit before they ripen.

I'm growing out some crosses involving black fruit and Beta orange, and it's an interesting mix with lots of Beta expressed - lots of orange color that then ripens toward red because the Beta is 'penetrant' and you can see it even with only one allele. Only Beta/Beta should be plain orange and no reddening afterwards. So in F2, 3 of 4 theoretically would have at least one allele of Beta, one of four plain red. Then you have gf for black fruit in the mix - red/black, orange/black. It's a bit of a PIA with the beta, you have to wait and see if orange turns red...

Then with tangerine, in theory you will get only 1/4 tt in the F2 that express any orange. Would love to see the tangerine-black combo.
Then again there are other 'orange' genetics for example 'delta' ??? and 'apricot' I forget now if Delta is dominant or recessive.

You also have a cool shape happening with the icicle, so that will vary the F2 as well... should be lots of fun.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2016   #5
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

That's interesting Bower, but it appears that Orange Icicle is definitely beta gene as this F1 plant goes orange and then orange/red as it ripens. I was starting to think of the possibilities of the orange/black but we'll see how that turns out now!

I love the shape of the fruit from F1, I can't wait to see everything that pops up in F2.

Al
Old September 8, 2016   #6
bower
Tomatovillian™

Cool! Let the fun begin....
bower is offline   Reply With Quote