Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 29, 2007   #1
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Default TSWV Tomato spotted wilt virus

I am beginning this post due to a General Discussion Post on Spotted Wilt Varieties. As I seldom get to the other forum topics to even visit, therefore, I am hoping that this discussion where I am the moderator will help keep me involved in the direct issues.

Quote:
I'm searching for additional varieties which are Spotted Wilt Resistant and preferably indeterminate. If anyone knows of any others, please let me know.
This is the starting question that made me convinced to cover the topic. Hat tip to tlcmd.

=================================

As a breeder of tomatoes I was surprised on how few of the TSWV resistant lines I have grown. Even fewer in my crossing programs. Not so many years ago, the general consensus hinted that there were no resistant lines available. The advanced work on developing the resistance has mushroomed the last few years, but not among heirloom growers, alas.

The problem.....

Most of the TSWV resitant tomato cultivars are not very tasty tomatoes.

The list of TSWV resistant tomatoes to date.12-28-07

Sweet Cluster F1
Sebring
Muriel
Health Kick
Cupid F1
Crista F1
BHN-685
BHN-640
BHN 555
BHN-444
Belle Rose
Amelia VR F1
NC 0256
NC 032939
NC 0341
BHN 601
Quincy
SVR 01408426
Topgun
HMX800
HMX9800
HA-3074
HA-3371
WS 4062
Fla 925-2
Stevens
Corrida
Extremo
DRW 7556
DRW 57-19
Kerala
Kamuka
Paradise
Camel (HMX 4793)
El Cano (XP 2508410)

Bullet points about TSWV:
  • TSWV first was discovered on tomatoes in 1919
  • TSWV infects 300 different hosts
  • Had been a problem in subtropical areas.
  • 1980s that they began to affect the U.S. greenhouses
  • The viruses spread quickly across the United States an
  • Now are found everywhere.
  • Symptoms of TSWV -- Necrotic spots, streaking, ring spots, stunting and wilting
  • TSWV has been reported to be transmitted in the seed of Lycopersicon esculentum.
  • It is believed TSWV is carried on the seed coat.
  • Suspected that thrips are vectors
  • TSWV mostly is spread by movement of plants or cuttings, rather than by seed.
Since precious little work is done with heirloom type tomatoes to introduce disease resistance, I don't suppose that there will be many improved introductions soon. The existing varieties are mostly hybrid as alluded to in the Discussion forum and most are not very tasty to boot.

I would like to do more to help on this matter, but I've found that there is little support to someone like me to do this. My talk in Iowa earlier this year (2007) about introducing hybrid heirlooms with improved disease tolerance and other qualities left me with the impression that I was largely alone in this effort.

I will try to access some of the lines with the TSWV resistance and/or if anyone sends me seed of those. I will try to breed these lines, hybrid or not, to test the single gene dominant trait (published) and to find marker genes associated with resistance. I have some heirloom lines that I will cross, but if others have suggestions on what heirlooms need to be crossed, let me know.

Is the need veritable?
Can the resistant heirloom/commercial hybrids be tested or first releases by 2009?
Can true breeding lines of new TSWV heirlooms be released by 2012?
What support structure can be implemented?
Seed Venues? Who, What, Where,When, and How?

The answers to the above questions could be totally affirmative, however there is this confessional: I have listened to many Inspirational talks by keynoters over the years. I fear that the audiences are somewhat inspired, but left unchallenged. I, unfortunately, am not the inspirational speaker, nor the challenger; if anything I am but a foot soldier in tomato breeding.

The 2008 season is soon to started, let me know how I can help regarding TSWV.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote