Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old August 22, 2006   #1
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Default Pale Perfect Purple X Purple Price 94-64

Purple Perfect X Purple Price 94-64

Seed received from Craig – thank you! I have three plants in this grow out "A", "B" and "C". I believe these were from F2 seed. And a bit a background:

Ozark Pink – parent of Pale Perfect Purple (aka as Purple Perfect) (fw1, vw, ber, cr) 65 days. (Indeterminate) [Introduced 1991 by SESE Released exclusively to SESE. by the Univ. of Arkansas Dept. of Horticulture.] 'Ozark Pink' is adapted for growing on stakes for vine-ripe harvest for home gardens and farmer's markets. Plants reach a height of 5 feet, bearing 7 oz. flattened-globe fruits with few defects, and uniform ripening shoulders (u gene). Developed from a complex pedigree involving 'Bradley', 'Arkansas Traveler 76', 'Heinz 1439', and 'Campbell 1327', the pink fruits have excellent eating quality and good shelf life. Unlike many other varieties, flavor is not greatly affected by early harvest in the post breaker (pale pink) stage. Very productive all season. Recommended for hot, humid, disease-prone areas.

Purple Price: Craig says: "Two tomatoes that are unique for their unusual color are Cherokee Purple and Price’s Purple. Each are very dark pink, nearing brownish purple. The interiors are brick red, with green gel surrounding the seeds. Cherokee Purple is a regular leaf, large oblate variety, while Price’s Purple is a large potato leaf type. Both have intensely rich flavors, and tend to be controversial, probably due to the color, which some find rather unappetizing!"

"A" is still green

"B" beautiful fruit, mild taste tending toward sweet, very juicy:

“C” outstanding flavour, deep, rich sweet. Unfortunately the one I was going to take a picture of disappeared from the vine. I will post a picture of the next ripe.

All three are PL, all differ in shape, but “B” and “C” are both pink/blacks.
Old August 22, 2006   #2
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

Looks wonderful D - looking forward to seeing your "C" fruit. If it's outstanding, does that make it a 10/10?

PP
Old September 2, 2006   #3
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Finally, all three ripe and taste tested. Here is the fruit, from left to right, C, B, and A (all PL, clear skin – I think ). Hard to capture the exact fruit colour on camera, but to my eye they are “blacks”.

And sliced; approx. weight given for largest from each group:

“A” approx GDD: 1460
4.5 oz./130 g. last to ripen, not a heavy producer
Nice tomatoes, but not quite the heavy weight as “C”, slightly less flavour

“B” approx. GDD: 1300
6.5 oz./180 g. first to ripen, good production
Much sweeter than “C”, good but less balanced flavoured

“C” approx. GDD: 1460
10.5 oz./300 g. one ripened mid August, then nothing until today, not a heavy producer, but good size
Really nice texture and complex, deep, sweet/tart flavour; meaty and juicy

Craig, I recall you got a pink from your grow out of this one, and taste was not a highlight? From my results, I would say the rest of your seed from this batch (94-64) is well worth growing out.

Patrina, I often use Carolyn’s ratings:

Superb
Outstanding
Excellent
Very good
Good
Fair

PPP x PP “C” is outstanding 8)
Lucky Cross is superb
Old September 3, 2006   #4
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

Ahhh, got it They all look superb to me right now, it's so long since I tasted a real tomato.

PP
Old October 13, 2007   #5
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Well, I must say I've never had such a poor tomato year - not even enough to keep me in the BLTs never mind sharing with my neighbours.

Anyhoo, did grow out the PPP x PP "C" this year. Not terribly prolific (but then nothing was this year) and somewhat late, but the taste (rich, smooth, creamy, sweet)!! The plant itself also seemed somewhat healthier than many of my other plants.

Here's the pic

I keep thinking if you want to introduce more flavour into the dwarf black grow out - this one's parents just may do the trick - PL as well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3014new.jpg (697.0 KB, 76 views)
Old June 11, 2008   #6
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_D View Post
“C” approx. GDD: 1460
10.5 oz./300 g. one ripened mid August, then nothing until today, not a heavy producer, but good size
Really nice texture and complex, deep, sweet/tart flavour; meaty and juicy
Denise, is PPP x PP "C" to be the permanent name for this one? Thoughts?

I agree with your assessment -- it is a terrific dark! Avg to high-avg productivity. Most under a lb, but it threw a couple over a lb for me.

Click for Larger Size

I haven't gotten around to growing out "A" and "B" yet from the seeds you sent me, maybe next year.

Edit - Btw, also grew out Salmon's PL Black this spring. Good flavor, but not as intense as some of the other darks I'm growing this year.

Click for Larger Size
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2008   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I guess I missed this thread when it started.

Tad Smith bred Pale Perfect Purple as a selection from crossing Ozark Pink and Purple Price.

I've grown Purple Price and PPP.

So in essence by crossing PPP with Purple Price you've done a backcross.

What was the goal of doing the backcross? A deeper color bringing in more of the so called dark genes?

I saw where Craig thought CP and PP were similar re taste, but I sure didn't. Actually I didn't like the taste of PP at all, while I do like the taste of CP and Indian Stripe.

Just curious.
Old June 13, 2008   #8
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Am also growing PPP X PP "C" this year from F4 seeds from Tania. Don't know if it is completely stable yet but will have a comparison as Suze's 08 crop is in. Nice pic's Suze. Ami

PS Suze, stop being so cheap and use dollar bills for size comparison.
Old June 13, 2008   #9
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

How exciting - great to hear this one's being grown out!!

To Carolyn - did some back tracking in my notes - and Craig's 94-64 Pur. Perfect x Pur. Price F2 came from your seed share 884 Purple Perfect X Purple Price NY MA (which I recall you received directly from Tad?) Anyhoo, I have no idea what Tad's goal was with this one, but I do know I was most impressed with the flavour of all three I grew out.

And, as an aside, I sowed all remaining seed from Craig's 94-64 this year, and have three plants (one rather tiny), so may get a few more good ones to work with. I also did try germinating your original seed which Craig kindly shared, but no luck with batch 884. I also have seed from Craig's 96-25 F3, but haven't had a chance to trial these yet.

And Suze, as for a name - hadn't really thought about it much, as I haven't pursued the "C" line. Perhaps we should wait to see what amideutch comes up with and go from there?

Almost as exciting as the dwarf breeding project 8) , which I unfortunately declined to take part in

Anyhoo, thanks to Suze for bringing this one back to the top.
Old June 13, 2008   #10
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

I have been following this thread closely & am so interested & excited in this PP X PPP "C" cross that I would love to grow it out in 2009 since I have a good, isolated spot for it.
Old June 13, 2008   #11
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

cottonpicker, I think we can oblige you when the seed is saved. Ami
Old June 13, 2008   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

To Carolyn - did some back tracking in my notes - and Craig's 94-64 Pur. Perfect x Pur. Price F2 came from your seed share 884 Purple Perfect X Purple Price NY MA (which I recall you received directly from Tad?) Anyhoo, I have no idea what Tad's goal was with this one, but I do know I was most impressed with the flavour of all three I grew out.

D, I'm having a hard time following what you're saying.

Tad sent me PPP directly. Craig sent me Purple Price.

I'm not aware of any cross that Tad sent either of us involving these varieties. and I never would have listed a cross in the SSE Yearbook so I'm not sure what Craig is listing my name for. Tad did send both of us a cross that was an F1 heart, but that's an entirely different story.

I was impressed with PPP but not PP as regards taste. That's just the way it is with me.

But this project certainly does look interesting.

Tad's goal back in the early 90's was just to see what crossing Ozark Pink and PP would look and taste like. At that time folks weren't doing their own crosses, and of course he had a Ph.D in the general area so knew what he was doing at that time.

There's still a variety I named Tad that Craig thinks might be a parent to Lucky Cross and Little Lucky. It's a small striped one with excellent taste that he developed with a three way cross. He told me I had a 1/64 chance of getting the right growout and I planted just 12 plants and got it the first time.

He said not to release it until he upsized it and in the meantime he left Philly and the company he was with, as far as I know, where he was head of the Late Blight Potato section.

Craig and I have both lost touch with him but I've honored his request and only Craig and I have seeds for Tad.
Old June 13, 2008   #13
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

ami...... A GREAT BIG "Thank You" for the offer of a few seeds of "C" at the end of this season for my 2009 trial. Will be exciting!!!!! Looking forward to it.
Old June 13, 2008   #14
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Here is the story - Tad Smith crossed Pale Perfect Purple with Price's Purple - he sent Carolyn seeds, and she sent me seeds in 1994 (vial 884). I grew them out and saved seeds (vial 94-64 - this is F2 seed, which Denise is selecting from).

My description for the F1: (my notes are not all that good, but what Tad succeeded in creating was the same uniform purple color - no dark shoulders - of Pale Perfect Purple, but with the size of Price's Purple, on a PL plant). I grew out a few of the F2s in 1996 - don't have detailed notes handy.Hy. Fruit; Ind, Potato leaf, large oblate smooth dusky pink/purple, good
Old August 3, 2008   #15
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Thought you'd all like to see PPP x PP "D"

Because the seed was reaching end of it likey germination - thought I'd sow the remaining seed this year.

Here is a pic of the one I call PPP x PP "D". Just look at the fruit set and flowers on this PL beauty!! Both pictures taken this a.m. - there are at least five more flower trusses ready to go!!

Last edited by PNW_D; August 5, 2008 at 03:00 PM.
PNW_D is offline   Reply With Quote