Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old July 25, 2010   #16
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I use 3/4 and 1/2 inch conduit for both horizontal and verticals depending on the plants I am growing. If I am growing tomatoes that make a huge vine with heavy fruit I try to use the 3/4 in. because I had my 1/2 inch bend under the weight of my Marianna's Peace last year. I used 3 horizontals and the top two sagged badly and one eventually just bent from the weight. I've never had a problem with the 1/2 in. as verticals but I guess if you got too much weight near the top and a good wind it could bend. Since the 3/4 costs more I use it on most of my second horizontals (about chest high) and if I have enough I also use it on my top one which is about 7 ft high. The lower bar which I set about waist high usually doesn't carry as much weight.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2010   #17
Timbotide
Tomatovillian™

Bill, that is one fine lookin tomato patch you have there.
The Gary'O Sena is huge. Is it the largest plant you have?
Timbotide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2010   #18
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Yes it was the biggest plant this year or for that matter any year for me. The thing had to be constantly pruned. I probably filled a whole wheelbarrow during the season with just the suckers and forks that I cut off that one plant. If I hadn't started pruning it I don't think it would have made many tomatoes because it was just too busy growing new tips. Next year I plan to prune more severely so it doesn't get quite that big. It was also one of my favorites this year.
Old September 27, 2010   #19
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

Bill, that is an absolutely amazing tomato patch. Thanks to you and Ami
for posting photos. Love your idea of using twine in that way for your
cucumbers and melons. I use a trellis for cukes and nylon netting but this sounds much easier. Do you find you need to support melons grown this
way so the stems don't break and and the melons drop?
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2010   #20
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I don't usually grow any melons but the occasional cantaloupe. I had one about 5 lbs hanging on my trellis and I watched it every day thinking it would fall and bust before it got half ripe but I was able to leave it on til it ripened. I think if I had anything heavier I would try to support the melons with something.
Old September 27, 2010   #21
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

I have made slings out of cheesecloth and/or onion bag netting material. Holds 'em up and still allows good air circulation.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote