Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old November 8, 2012   #1
hmacdona
Tomatovillian™

Default Need Help with Pepper Info

Hi everyone,

I received a pepper called "Chi Num" is my exchange and I can't seem to find info on this anywhere. The person that sent in the seed originally received them in a trade and grew them out. She labelled them exactly the way they were labelled when she received them, but couldn't provide any additional information....other than they are quite hot.

If anyone can provide additional information on this pepper, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much...Heather
hmacdona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2012   #2
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

May be short for Chili Numex?
noinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2012   #3
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

That should have been 'NuMex'. Here is a link to a list of peppers developed at the New Mexico State University...

http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/...tof%20NMSU.pdf

Maybe after growing them out you can compare them to the descriptions to see what you have. Let us know what you find out.
noinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2012   #4
hmacdona
Tomatovillian™

It's really hard to say....that would be a lot of short cutting on the name if it was. I went back again to the person that sent them in and she said they were not that big and Very Very hot. Any numex varieties I've grown have been more mild to med heat for me.

It's strange...when I was searching the internet, I can across the same words a couple of times in Thai recipes that called for thai chilis as an ingredient. I do suspect it might be thai pepper...who knows.

I won't be growing these out myself as the intention was to redistribute these to the other participants in the swap. The trouble is I'm not going to distribute seed to other people when I don't even know if that's the right name, or if seeds were collected from a hybrid plant etc. The rules I sent out called for only "named varieties" to be sent in for exchanging and if hybrid seeds are sent in, they can only be f1 from a commercial source. So to be fair to the others in this swap, I thought I'd do some due diligence on this first.

Thanks for your help.
hmacdona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2012   #5
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

A bonus?

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2012   #6
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Well, thanks to the above post, I now know who the NuMex Joe E. Parker is named after. Was wondering. Bought some from High Mowing and they are just germinating after 10 days.

Heather, you haven't had a chance to grow yours out yet? Maybe you'll be able to ID them by fruit appearance, heat, and so forth. A mystery! Not forgetting that "very very hot" may be quite relative. I made some "not very spicy" beef chili last year and my boyfriend dropped the spoon. (He's the reason I'm growing a milder Anahaim, though I still hope to grow some hotter peppers next year.) - Ann
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote