Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 12, 2016   #1
Elizabeth
Tomatovillian™

Default Rice Beans

Does anyone here grow rice beans?

I got seeds from Baker Creek and Epic seeds, both red and white. I planted lots of both on some unused backyard space between some little trees (just using the space until the trees get bigger).

I got very low germination, which in retrospect was probably a good thing, because given the right conditions they get huge.

NOW, the real issue - flowering. I knew from the get-go that they are photo-period sensitive, but I didn't worry, as I grow other of things that flower or tuberize at the fall equinox and since I live in a frost-free zone it's not an issue. We are now nearly a month past the equinox though, and there isn't even a hint of flowers on any of the plants. The ends of the tendrils look like there are flowers coming, but it's just more leaves.

The reason it seems so mounded in the photo is that there is a little lemon tree under there. They are now headed towards the grape vines near the fence. They take up a fair bit of space, and I wouldn't mind, if it produced a crop.

Has anyone else had any success growing these?

I'm in Southern California, near the coast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161012_083349.jpg (575.1 KB, 88 views)

If I'm going to water and care for a plant it had better give me food, flowers or shade.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote