Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 11, 2006   #1
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Waking the Dead

Hi Pepper Friends,

I was discussing my new-found interest in hot peppers with my MIL and she reached into the frodty depths of her freezer and retrieved some chillies that my FIL was given about two years ago when he was still a practicing chemist.

I actually think they might be more like three-to-five years old as I kind of remember using them when I was cooking a lot at their house. I grabbed a sample: look like some little Thai ones and two other small reds.

They are now defrosted and feel a bit mushy, but they smell good. What do you think about the viability of the seeds within? I've put them in the sun to dry.

Thanks, Grub.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2006   #2
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Forgot to post pic. D'oh.

I'm kind of interested in the little ones that the Thais call Mouse Sh-t chillies. I know they're hot and great to make a nam prik.

(Now, let's see if the censor let's these through to the keeper)
Old February 11, 2006   #3
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I've also known them as Rat Turd!

You are carrying out an interesting experiment that I've always wondered about - viability of seeds from frozen peppers. Keep us informed!
Old February 12, 2006   #4
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Grub, i'd tend to believe that aughta be jus fine, after a normal dryin period, which aught not take more than 3-4 days. Unless the freezer caused seed rupture, they aughta be mighty fresh. An seein as how they were stored whole, rupture aint likely.

I dont know jus exactly how hot you talkin about, re: a new found interest...but i got some Aji Andean peppers (seeds), that are absolutely dangerous. They are so bam hot that even when i have offerred them to hot Pepper lovers,...their return for more is absent...))) If i was in the business of makin pepper spray, this is the one...lol.

Im sure you know about bottom heat...lol...an if ya dont, well they say Ice Cream helps out ...a little... :wink:

Seriously, dry those seeds out, an they dont even have to get fully dry, jus reasonable air contact for a few days. It's the manner in which they were kept (freezer), that makes me believe this.
Gimme3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2006   #5
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

This experiment has been done repeatedly and discussed on several hot pepper forums. The overwhelming conclusion is that undried frozen pods (that is, pods frozen fresh) do not produce viable seeds once thawed. It's the same for seeds in frozen toms, as Carolyn has explained.

However, there is the occasional freak occurance when circumstances somehow differ for whatever reason. And predried pods have a much better to great chance of producing viable seeds.

Try some germination tests, but don't be disappointed if you come up empty-handed.

Jennifer
cdntomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2006   #6
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Okay Will Try Them

Thanks. Doesn't sound promising, but I'll go through the exercise to satisfy my curiosity. Strange how so many other living things can be woken after deep-freezer sleep I don't think any of them are rare or anything. Cheers, Grub
Old February 12, 2006   #7
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

I keep my seeds in the freezer. I have also sprouted a Jamaican Scotch bonnet seed from the frozen pepper itself but I admit that it had not been in there near as long as yours. Just put it somewhere and forget about as I think it may take a month or longer to sprout. Good luck.
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2006   #8
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Great

Thanks for your feedback.

Upon opening a jar of pickled chillies or hot peppers from Eastern Europe tonight I just had another thought.

I wonder if these seeds would be viable?

Cheers, DL
Old February 17, 2006   #9
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I started an experiment last fall. Every year I get a lot of tomato volunteers popping up in the garden, so I want to know, if pepper seeds would sprout too after being in the ground throught the winter.

I planted many different kind hot and sweet pepper seeds in many spots on our yard. It will be interesting to see if any of the peppers will start to grow after beeing in the frozen ground.

An other thing which I may try is, if the seeds in some of the ornamental peppers, which have been in the plants through the winter, will sprout.
Red peppers in dried up Trifetti plants looked so cool that I left them in the pots.
svalli is offline   Reply With Quote