Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 18, 2014   #136
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Nice pics. I too really like the look of Datlo. Great job Vladimir.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2015   #137
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

This year I have poised 28 varieties seeds of Czech tomatoes from these nine new:Brutus- indeterminant Giant, red
Citrína- indeterminant,salad, yellow, in the shape of a lemon
Hugo- indeterminante, red, fruit shape and size like San Marzano Gigante
Taiko- indeterminant, fruit banana yellow, elongated, salad
Šejk- determinant, red, paste cooking, round
Hana- determinant, red, salad, round
Terion- determinant, red, salad , round
Olomovic- seeds from Tania, it's probably Olomoucke nízké (Olomouc low)
Czech´s Bush- ????
In 2016, I want to grow some tomatoes that are grown in the Czech Republic in the first half of the last century. So far I have done such a provisional selection:
1901- Mikado, Giant Pendorose
1923- Trophy, Ficarazzi, Re Umberto, Triumph, Gnom
1924- Alice Rosewelt, President Garfield, Pařížské tržní, Perfection, Chemin, Magnum Bonum, Král raných, Lucullus, Danish Export
1929-Don Margen, Lotringen,
1932-Tuckswood´s favorit, Heterosis
1935- Marglobe
1938-Condine Red, Bonner Beste
1939- Early Sunrisse
1940- Goden jubilee, Golden queen
1946- Winner, Golden Glory, Golden Sunrisse

For each information about where I could seeds of these varieties to replace or buy thank you in advance (I have time to the fact throughout the year
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2015   #138
bower
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir, are you still looking for seed of Czech's Bush?

It's on my grow list this year, and I have eight seeds for it which came in last year's swap. I could send you four seeds if you need them right away, and try the other four. I only need one plant for myself and I was thinking about starting it early and give it a try on the windowsill - if I get one from two seeds I could send you the rest by early february if that is not too late. The year marked on the packet is 2013 so they should be good, although it doesn't say if it was bagged or not - foliage should be rugose? if it is true seed it should be clear from the first true leaves.

I'll be sure to save lots of seed from Czech's Bush this year, if it's a difficult one to find. If you need for this year, send me a PM.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2015   #139
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Vladimír

Last edited by MrBig46; January 14, 2015 at 01:10 AM.
Old January 14, 2015   #140
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Thank you Bower. I have seeds Czech's bush and Olomovic from Tania. I wrote it wrong. Those question marks ( ????) means that I do not know how this tomato originally named in our country.
Vladimír

Last edited by MrBig46; January 14, 2015 at 01:11 AM.
Old January 14, 2015   #141
FLRedHeart
Tomatovillian™

What an excellent project Vladimir. You are very motivated! I see your Brutus variety and you make a comment on a tomato you call Giant Pendorose that was grown in Czech zone.

I wonder if you can grow these two varieties beside each other to see if they are perhaps related! I think maybe "Giant Pendorose" is a selected version of heirloom Ponderosa (pink).

If you can do that, I will get you Ponderosa and also send you Marglobe (Ponderosa is grandparent), if you didn't get mine or someone else's from the swap
Cheers!

Last edited by FLRedHeart; January 14, 2015 at 01:29 AM.
FLRedHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2015   #142
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Very nice looking tomatoes Vladimir . Most of the varieties that I have grown from that part of the world are from Ukraine and Russia. Would love to try some from your country.
Old January 14, 2015   #143
clara
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir, I'm planning to grow President Garfield and Magnum Bonum this year (I have only very few seeds, otherwise I would already send you some). If I have good luck and no late blight again, I shall send you seeds later this fall.
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2015   #144
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I want to grow the old varieties of tomatoes until 2016.
FLRedHeart- good idea to cultivate Giant Penderose and Brutus side by side. If you are interested about Brutus send me PM. I no longer have a place and I'm still waiting the seeed from Mystery swap (some Dwarves)
KLorentz- send me a PM about what you are interested in
Clara- I am looking forward and hope
Thank you all.
Vladimír
Old January 15, 2015   #145
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Hi Vladimir,

Will be sending you a pm tomorrow . Caught your post rather late. Noticed the names with the pics and can tell you my nieces and nephews are very fond of tomatoes the size of bibi for snacking right off the vine. They don't even wait to get inside
Old January 15, 2015   #146
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Vladimir, there are several on your list that I have seeds for, but the seeds are so old I decalre them to be antiques, and I would hesitate to send such olf seeds to anyone.

But if you have no other sources, here's just one of them, where I SSE listed it back in about 1995.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/A...b=General_Info

At that time Craig Lehoullier and I were geting seeds from the USDA seed bank when it was still possible to do that, and that's where the above one came from.

Another one was Ithink cllaed King George, Tania, doesn lsitit, but all those ones from that time persiod that we got were small red fruits with not much taste.

I see you also have Roi Humberto aka Umberto, former King of Italy listed but those are quite common and I may have some fresher seeds of those, but while I didn't check there should be several sources for those,as well as several sources for some of the others such as Triumph, Trophy, etc all of which Craig and I got out and SSE listed. I didn't check any of those at Tania's website.

As I said above, Ijust don't like to send out such old seeds but if no other source I will, but not until I have someone help me this summer get out those vials.

Carolyn
Old January 19, 2015   #147
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

This list is only a plan which tomatoes I could grow in 2016. I need to do a lot of work to complete the list.
1. I must find out which tomatoes grew in the period 1901-1924 (Moravian Country Library)
2. I must find all available information on varieties that I want to grow - descriptions, pictures (Czech gene bank, Tatiana´s TOMATObase, GOOGLE, etc.)
3. I must find out the offer of seeds (Tomatoville, Tatiana´s TOMATObase, GOOGLE, etc.)
4. Sometimes at the end of September, I'll buy seeds

Re Umberto:
I want the version Re Umberto without nipple on the blossom end. I want to buy an Italian website.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Re Umberto.JPG (51.6 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg umberto.jpg (25.0 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg Re Umberto.JPG (25.7 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by MrBig46; January 19, 2015 at 01:28 PM.
Old January 20, 2015   #148
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir, this is a great project! Will love to see your results.

All the best,
Tatiana

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2015   #149
charline
Tomatovillian™

you can buy seeds for König Humbert in Germany
Manfred Hahm http://tomaten.bplaced.net/tomatenhahm.html nr. 192
pics see on Reinhard Krafts website

charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2015   #150
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by charline View Post
you can buy seeds for König Humbert in Germany
Manfred Hahm http://tomaten.bplaced.net/tomatenhahm.html nr. 192
pics see on Reinhard Krafts website

Charline, the picture is from Reinhard's Photogallerie but that doesn't mean that what Manfred lists is the same , see # 191 and 192 on Manfred's list. Manfred gets varieties from all over the place, and most not in Reinhard's photogallerie.

There's an outside chance that I may have some fresh seeds for Vladimir for King Humbert/aka Konig Humberto, aka Roi Humbert from someone in Italy and I'd like to think that since this variety was named after an Italian king they should be good.

Carolyn