Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 24, 2018   #1
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Default Student Field Trip

Please share any of your ideas! One of the local Elementary Schools in our small community called me today and asked if they could do a field trip of our Greenhouse, Raised Beds and Garden in a couple of weeks. There will be about 200 second grade students. Does anyone have an idea of something that I could give each student (affordable) to remember the experience and inspire them to garden? All the produce has been harvested except the onions and carrots. I still have a couple of weeks to order - maybe a tulip bulb for each student?

Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks!
Hudson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VBukblmKSyif0xYd0TT9hg_thumb_81f0.jpg (323.5 KB, 73 views)
Hudson_WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2018   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

This time of year many of the larger box stores...and other places, too...will get rid of left over seed packets. Especially if they get credit somehow as being the donator.

Smoot is fairly isolated I see. Maybe left over seed packets will be hard to find. Oh, well, I tried.

Last edited by PaulF; August 24, 2018 at 05:08 PM.
PaulF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2018   #3
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

WOW!! 200 kids at once. Are they gonna be going through one class at a time?

Here's my 2 cents.

You should give a short class of where vegetables come from and a seed saving class. I think they would find it interesting and something they can do at home. Buy some tomatoes and cucumbers, cut them up so each kid gets a piece with seeds and have them remove the seeds themselves to take home. That might also get them to eat more vegetables since they know they can save seeds to grow.

You could also give them a few seeds of easy to grow vegetables. It's Fall so maybe some mild different colored radishes that grows fast and can be planted in a pot at home or in the classroom. Coordinate growing the radish in the classroom with the teacher before they come. You can give each kid a small baggie of potting soil and a few seeds then the teacher can use cups from the cafeteria to grow the radish in the class so they can watch them grow. You should also do a seed planting demonstration for each class and teacher so they don't plant too deep.

Good Luck and let us know how it turns out!!
Old August 25, 2018   #4
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
This time of year many of the larger box stores...and other places, too...will get rid of left over seed packets. Especially if they get credit somehow as being the donator.

Smoot is fairly isolated I see. Maybe left over seed packets will be hard to find. Oh, well, I tried.
Smoot is isolated but I like your idea. I can contact some area and national seed companies and see what they may have to help with the event. I called on the flower bulbs idea with success but none of the suppliers are shipping before September 15th.
Thanks for sharing your suggestion!
Old August 25, 2018   #5
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
WOW!! 200 kids at once. Are they gonna be going through one class at a time?

Here's my 2 cents.

You should give a short class of where vegetables come from and a seed saving class. I think they would find it interesting and something they can do at home. Buy some tomatoes and cucumbers, cut them up so each kid gets a piece with seeds and have them remove the seeds themselves to take home. That might also get them to eat more vegetables since they know they can save seeds to grow.

You could also give them a few seeds of easy to grow vegetables. It's Fall so maybe some mild different colored radishes that grows fast and can be planted in a pot at home or in the classroom. Coordinate growing the radish in the classroom with the teacher before they come. You can give each kid a small baggie of potting soil and a few seeds then the teacher can use cups from the cafeteria to grow the radish in the class so they can watch them grow. You should also do a seed planting demonstration for each class and teacher so they don't plant too deep.

Good Luck and let us know how it turns out!!
The kids are coming in two groups of about 100 each - 10:00 and 11:00 in the morning hours. Some of the parents will also be there to help out with the groups.

You must be a teacher or at least a parent and have worked with kids?! I wanted to involve the kids but without getting too deep in explanation for their age. I think where veggies come from and saving seeds is a wonderful approach. I still have a bunch of radish seeds left from the spring and more than enough #1 envelopes to give each student some seeds to plant at home or school depending on the preference of the teachers and I have plenty of potting soil too. Cutting open veggies to show the seeds will certainly get their interest and attention! I may also have a couple of onions that have bolted showing where onion seeds come from. My wife also suggested a planting demonstration - I think you are both right with that idea.

I think I am starting to get excited about the field trip!

Thanks so much for sharing your ideas!