Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 21, 2009   #151
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

I would gulp too. That person obviously wasn't very computer literate.

I'm using a few of your pics for some of my posters too, but they are made from scanned in pics from the book that I now have as files on my computer. I can print out as many as I need rather than just the 1 that they will get from the book.

I also have a notation on my handout showing which varieties are in your book. This year I may add a notation for the varieties in Amy's book too if I have the time.

I also used to take the big tomato poster to my market and hang it on the side of a cart. I would try to make which varieties I had. You need to have it laminated and then backed on something sturdy like thin plywood tho for it to survive all the travel.

All the different things do help educate people about varieties that aren't just big and red.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2009   #152
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Cut out the pictures!?!?! Never! Spill a little fish emulsion on it by accident...hmmm...maybe

Had a customer call me last night right after I posted wanting to know the name/author. I gave him the info and let him know about tomatoville as well.
Old April 21, 2009   #153
sfmathews
Tomatovillian™

Default Book

I just ordered it last night from Amazon, as i had a GC. I can't wait for it to get here!
sfmathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2009   #154
Hondo_Lane
Tomatovillian™

I got mine a few weeks back and have read it a couple of times. I plan to try more of the heirlooms listed next year.

Awesome book Carolyn!

Thanx!

Jeff
Hondo_Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009   #155
dew
Tomatovillian™

I read the library's copy, and just bought my own copy from Mother Earth News.
Thanks, Carolyn
dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2009   #156
Dufresne
Tomatovillian™

I wanted to say i have this book since two week and it is a FAVORITE!! Beautiful pictures, intelligent disposition, agreable to read and re-re-read. I recommend to everybody.

The size and the cover of the book is also super.

10/10

Hope there will be a volume 2!!
Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2009   #157
frdmfrc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dufresne View Post
Hope there will be a volume 2!!
So do I! I just got my book last week and can hardly put it down; well other than the moments I'm looking for it and my husband has it! Awesome job, Carolyn. Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom and work in providing such a wonderful resource. I've only experimented with a few heirlooms this year and am kicking myself for not trying more; yet so excited for next year to get here so I can grow more and put to use what I'm learning now. Your book is a great resource and helping me plan for next year. I don't think I've ever been more exited about the upcoming garden season than the current one then I am now. Gonna be a long winter lol
frdmfrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2009   #158
ceresone
Tomatovillian™

Please excuse me if this has been discussed- but is there a hard back version available? or were they all printed as paper backed?
ceresone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2009   #159
matertoo
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn:

You have served as an inspiration to me and I'm sure many others. Your book stays next to my recliner for quick reference on anything to do with maters. Thanks to you, I now have a wonderful new hobby. Your next book will also have a place of honor in my den. Thanks for everything.

Happy Matering,

Paul
matertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2009   #160
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresone View Post
Please excuse me if this has been discussed- but is there a hard back version available? or were they all printed as paper backed?
There's only one version, not a typical paperback, rather, a flexible hard back as published by Workman Press on contract to Smith and Hawken.

And to all of you I haven't responded to I'm glad that you're finding the book useful. At the time I was asked to write the book I'd grown a bit over 1000 varieties and now I'm up to about 2500 varieties, but I'm sorry, there won't be a volume II with some of my more recent faves. Not that it wouldn't be possible as to it being published by Workman, who hold first right refusal on anything I might publish, but b'c I live in a different area now, far from where any photographers that Workman might approve might live, and more to the point, since I fell in Dec of 2004 and now use a walker, I can no longer do any gardening myself but do have someone who does it for me.

No more hundreds of plants and varieties each year, just less than 30 plants in gro bags on the back lawn. Freda brings in fruits, almost non-existant this year b'c of the weather, I taste, copy down variety basics and save seed when I have help but almost all my seed saving is done for me by bcday who lives in another area.

These days I grow varieties new to all or most and right now I'm going to wheel out to the kitchen and try to set up by myself fermentations for:

Medovaya Kaplya ( several fruits)
Libby's Pride ( three fruits)
Kazachka ( several fruits
Maria Am__________________ can't spell it without checking, LOL ( 2)
Big Sungold Select ( several)
Ste. Colombe, one and I really wanted many more fruits of this new one as well as all of the others.

.....and minus three hybrids I'm trialing that means that I have no fruits from the other about 20 varieties. Horrible year here, but hopefully bcday has better luck with my varieties.
Old September 22, 2009   #161
ceresone
Tomatovillian™

Ms. Carolyn, you have my deepest sympathy on your health. I'm past 72 myself now, and 3 years ago, my sis, who is 84, fell over her cat at 5 AM, shattered her ankle, and due to a lot of scew-ups, can no longer use her walker, and is confined to her wheelchair, or bed.
I pray each day that I can continue to garden, and know what a blow this must have been to you.
But, you inspire all of us-and, please, keep sharing your knowledge-and even if you need help--keep gardening.
And--I still love the Ananas Noire tomato (?SP)
ceresone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2009   #162
rhynes_boomer
Tomatovillian™

Hi carolyn137,

I found your book you were telling me about! It should be here in the next week or so, hopefully. I was reading some of this, and you say there are at least 2500 different tomato types? That is what everyone is talking about right? Huh?

Kat
rhynes_boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2009   #163
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

I have had Carolyn Males book for about 6 yrs and coming apart at the binding from so much use
Bought one of 100 Heirlooms for my wifes aunts xmas present this year - she is about 80 and for the first time this year after hearing me harp on heirlooms for many years she finally planted her first heirloom - a Dr Wyches which she loved - my wife and her sister meet with her in Jan to exchange gifts and the one from me will - well lets say will change her life forever - wait till she starts tasting the rest of the yellows and then move on to the rest - I also have Amy Goldman's book The Heirloom Tomato - good book but a little unhappy with all the seed suppliers not being able to find and the number of varieties she doesn't like - why include in the book? I also found she has a much different "taste" bud than me on quite a few varieties - anyone else experienced that? taste of the beholder again

Anyone know what her Phd is in? (Amy)

Last edited by mtbigfish; December 30, 2009 at 05:13 PM. Reason: spelling - additional info
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2009   #164
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhynes_boomer View Post
Hi carolyn137,

I found your book you were telling me about! It should be here in the next week or so, hopefully. I was reading some of this, and you say there are at least 2500 different tomato types? That is what everyone is talking about right? Huh?

Kat
Kat, to date I've grown about 2500 tomato varieties but it's estimated that there are around 15, 000 known and of those perhaps 6 to 8,000 available commercially to anyone and about 4,000 available to SSE members ( not free and from the Yearbook , and there's also a Public catalog/website that SSE has and anyone can buy seeds from that one.

You can access it at seedsavers.org and there's also some wonderful small family seed places and many of them are mentioned at the top of this first page, with links. I encourage everyone to buy some seeds from those places b'c they're the ones who help in seed preservation by making the varieties available.
Old December 30, 2009   #165
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Anyone know what her Phd is in?

I do!

Her Ph.D is in Microbiology, concentration in infectious diseases from the U of Rochester Medical School. She taught med students there and also at the U of Colorado. She moved back East to take care of her aging parents and then taught at a private liberal arts college where she taught both undergrad and grad courses in a variety of topics from Infectious diseases, molecular biology, soil micro to medical Ethics to the Biology of handicapping conditions.

Ever since she's been online reading/posting at garden sites, and that goes back to 1989, she's signed off as Carolyn and prefers that others also call her Carolyn.