Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old May 6, 2016   #1
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Default Wemer's.. check this beauty out!!!!

Sorry the title should say Welmers.

I got a very nice thank you card in the mail today with a packet of seeds enclosed. It was a company I have never heard of. The seeds I got are very rare so I was thrilled .

Curiosity made me look them up and wow did I have a strange experience reading some of the offerings.

eg Cut Melon..shows a picture with a hanging squash that has a lump cut off it..I kid you not. it was under edible fruits by the way if anyone wants to look

How about Powder Beauty tomato, or Red Peach tomato,Yellow Peach tomato, Mauve Zebra and Purple Goodness tomato.

The corn was interesting to..White Waxy,Yellow Waxy,Red Waxy and Black waxy corn

I further noticed they have two website one in the UK and one in the US

http://walmerseeds.co.uk/index.html

http://walmers-usa.com/index.html

Take a look, it makes interesting reading but you have to look through the various categories as some things are in funny places.

Oh and there is a multi pack section at the end with red tomatoes, yellow..etc etc

Have fun

XX Jeannine

Last edited by Jeannine Anne; May 6, 2016 at 02:51 AM.
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2016   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Golden string pumpkin seems to be a spaghetti squash.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2016   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
Sorry the title should say Welmers.

I got a very nice thank you card in the mail today with a packet of seeds enclosed. It was a company I have never heard of. The seeds I got are very rare so I was thrilled .

Curiosity made me look them up and wow did I have a strange experience reading some of the offerings.

eg Cut Melon..shows a picture with a hanging squash that has a lump cut off it..I kid you not. it was under edible fruits by the way if anyone wants to look

How about Powder Beauty tomato, or Red Peach tomato,Yellow Peach tomato, Mauve Zebra and Purple Goodness tomato.

The corn was interesting to..White Waxy,Yellow Waxy,Red Waxy and Black waxy corn

I further noticed they have two website one in the UK and one in the US

http://walmerseeds.co.uk/index.html

http://walmers-usa.com/index.html

Take a look, it makes interesting reading but you have to look through the various categories as some things are in funny places.

Oh and there is a multi pack section at the end with red tomatoes, yellow..etc etc

Have fun

XX Jeannine
Jeannine, I did check it out and to be honest I am totally underwhelmed with the mostly generic way that their offerings are expressed.

A cauliflower is shown, Ided as just cauliflower

A picture of spinach is shown,Ided as just spinach.

And I don't have the patience to go through , well Idid, how almost all any of the tomatoesare Ided.

Not a place I'd buy seeds from, that's for sure, and of course, just my opinion after spending quite a bit of time,but only in the vegetable section.

Carolyn
Old May 6, 2016   #4
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

No phone number. No physical address. No "about us" page.

Three strikes⚾️⚾️⚾️
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2016   #5
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

I'd be wary of them. In very small print on the home page it says Walmers is a "trading name of China Seeds Ltd. registered in England".

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2016   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
I'd be wary of them. In very small print on the home page it says Walmers is a "trading name of China Seeds Ltd. registered in England".

Steve
I didn't see that Steve,and that right there says to me forget about using them as a seed source.

Sorry.

Carolyn
Old May 6, 2016   #7
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I found this listing of Canadian suppliers last week and bookmarked.

From a treeHugger article,
"Seed Sources for Canadian Gardeners

6 & 7. Terra Edibles and Salt Spring Seeds

A couple of readers asked for recommendations for seed companies that Canadian gardeners, interested in heirloom seeds, can turn to in search of seeds. Some commenters chimed in and recommended Terra Edibles and Salt Spring Seeds. Since I don't know much about Canadian seed companies I turned to my friend Kelly, who runs the Populuxe Seed Bank in Canada, for her recommendations.

8, 9 & 10. The Cottage Gardener, Seeds of Victoria, and Solana Seeds

She wrote back, “The Cottage Gardener is my absolute favorite. Seeds of Victoria is probably my second fave. Solana Seeds has really neat rare stuff.”.."
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2016   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post

A couple of readers asked for recommendations for seed companies that Canadian gardeners, interested in heirloom seeds, can turn to in search of seeds. Some commenters chimed in and recommended Terra Edibles and Salt Spring Seeds. Since I don't know much about Canadian seed companies I turned to my friend Kelly, who runs the Populuxe Seed Bank in Canada, for her recommendations.

She wrote back, “The Cottage Gardener is my absolute favorite. Seeds of Victoria is probably my second fave. Solana Seeds has really neat rare stuff.”.."
Do you have a link for those Canadian companies and I ask b/c there are two absolutely outstanding sources not mentioned.

One is Tania and the other is Jeff Casey and both ship to the US but many of the Canadian companies don't ship to the US,only within Canada.

Without checking last I knew it was Solana seeds,for one,that would not ship to the US.

And I bring up the US vs Canada issue seeing that you are from the US.

Carolyn,who also has not heard of the Populuxe seed bank,The Canadian Seed Bank yes, and their equivalent of SSE as well, but not a Populuxe one.
Old May 6, 2016   #9
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Do you have a link for those Canadian companies and I ask b/c there are two absolutely outstanding sources not mentioned.

One is Tania and the other is Jeff Casey and both ship to the US but many of the Canadian companies don't ship to the US,only within Canada.

Without checking last I knew it was Solana seeds,for one,that would not ship to the US.

And I bring up the US vs Canada issue seeing that you are from the US.

Carolyn,who also has not heard of the Populuxe seed bank,The Canadian Seed Bank yes, and their equivalent of SSE as well, but not a Populuxe one.
Solana does ship to the US, and other international countries. I've ordered from them. (They have extra reasonable shipping if paid with PayPal.)

Steve
Old May 6, 2016   #10
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Jeannine is Canadian and i have been lightly putting together a list of Canadian suppliers as i have a home in Newfoundland where i am at the moment.
Within the next year or two i will be up here a full growing season, hopefully, so i'm planning a greenhouse and searching sites and its been raining quite a bit....lots of reading time.
Old May 6, 2016   #11
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

I just checked out Seeds of Victoria, and got a message that they're no longer in operation.
Old May 6, 2016   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
Solana does ship to the US, and other international countries. I've ordered from them. (They have extra reasonable shipping if paid with PayPal.)

Steve
I remembered,and it's this one with some great listings that does not ship to the US, see the note at the top on the right. Iwill confess that there are Canadians who buy seeds for what a friend in the US wants,and then send them south,

https://www.heritageharvestseed.com/

And here's the list of all Canadian seed companies,I didn't check it to see which ones are still in business.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cana..._AUIBigA&dpr=1

Carolyn
Old May 6, 2016   #13
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I'll add those two to my list Carolyn. Thanks for that!

I did bring along a tray of healthy culls, last minute, using the headroom of our book crate. A couple dozen survived the trip and are under a new stoplight set-up. To be grown out by friends and neighbors here.
I also realize i do not need to purchase from only Canadians but i was curious what is available in other crops as well. Garlics, onions, fruit trees, etc. Putting in horseradish from a nursery stop in NewBrunswick.
Also searching other nurseries along my driving route once over the border.
Old May 6, 2016   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Jeannine is Canadian and i have been lightly putting together a list of Canadian suppliers as i have a home in Newfoundland where i am at the moment.
Within the next year or two i will be up here a full growing season, hopefully, so i'm planning a greenhouse and searching sites and its been raining quite a bit....lots of reading time.
Yes,I know JA is Canadian,she joined Tville back in 2008 and has many many posts here so many of us have known her a long time and are so glad to see her back here.

I didn't realize you also had a home in Newfoundland,that gets me thinking of the Viking presence there

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Anse_aux_Meadows

And of course I'm always interested in the Vikings since on my maternal side my grandfather's ancestors were from Germany and my grandmother's family were from Uppsala, Sweden, Viking area, so I probably have some Viking genes lurking within me.

Carolyn
Old May 6, 2016   #15
oakley
Tomatovillian™

And i should have said, Jeannine, being Canadian,... (bad wording)

It also helps to look at what does well here, but the Catskill Mnts is pretty tough as it is so i've got experience.
I'm rather remote here with a local food market/hammer and nails/fireworks/booze store that just has a dozen seed packets, simple roots crops
Same roots grown here and cheap to just purchase already bagged.
I do have a healthy seed box collection here by bringing along from NY over the years.

I do have a fine rhubarb patch I have divided a few times. Just now showing itself.

yes, the Vikings, and another discovery that is being excavated now found via satellite much further south.